Page 1 of 3
LastLast

When does slicing start to pay off?

My guild re-rolled to a less populated pvp server and I thought id take slicing this time since I heard it pays out pretty good. Figured take advantage before it was nerfed but at what skill level does the profit start?

Deleted
    I started making profit at like level 20 - It was only 40 credits over an hour but it's profit !

In the last 48 hours I have done nothing but level slicing in between doing IRL work (I hate Christmas time before work breaks up, too busy) I found slicing was making profit (allbeit a tiny amount) right from my first mission. Now I'm at level 333 and have made a total profit of over 100,000 credits.

Seems like the profits from missions have been nerfed somewhat. Most of the profit I get is from finding lockboxes out in the world.

My brother is at level 35 and he was bragging about bringing back 4 - 10k per lockbox, he now has over 300,000 credits.

Not fair i know.

Nah I'm still making good profits.

Why do I have to pick the wrong professions In every game I play!

It's much more balanced than it was in beta. However, it still makes good money. The thing to realize is that you're giving up a necessary skill to go with whatever crafting profession you choose, so some of that money is going to go into buying materials on the AH. Either way though, I find it to be pretty effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahela View Post
    The thing to realize is that you're giving up a necessary skill to go with whatever crafting profession you choose, so some of that money is going to go into buying materials on the AH. Either way though, I find it to be pretty effective.
    I think the best way to deal with Slicing is to put it in a slot that is irrelevant. What I mean is this: I am leveling a Sith Assassin and a Sith Warrior. The Assassin is doing Artifice, and the Warrior is doing Synthweaving. Both need Archaeology to get mats. One needs Underworld Trading and the other needs Treasure Hunting. I'd like Slicing for the money.

So my Assassin is Artifice, Archaeology, Slicing (plus Khem Val gets an Artifice bonus IIRC). My Warrior is Synthweaving, Underworld Trading, Treasure Hunting (Vette gets a bonus to Treasure Hunting I think). Since both crafting professions use Archaeology, there's no real reason to take it on both characters. I can just mail mats from the Assassin to the Warrior. That leaves an open spot, where Slicing is the obvious no-brainer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't go with Slicing, credits are already trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Nahela View Post
    It's much more balanced than it was in beta. However, it still makes good money. The thing to realize is that you're giving up a necessary skill to go with whatever crafting profession you choose, so some of that money is going to go into buying materials on the AH. Either way though, I find it to be pretty effective.
    This is a great explanation. I gave up underworld trading for it. I have no idea how much profit I've made but I've been told it starts to get REAL profitable around 250 skill. I found I was bringing in good bank in the 180 skill mark. I know I've spent over 300K in the last 3 days or less. I'm almost capped on Slicing at level 29. I'm taking a break now to do my crafting. Point is, it pays for itself very early on.

-JP-

To give people accurate information, slicing is marginally profitable. You would make more money by just questing or even just doing PvP. You do get some blue other materials, but they are not selling well on the GTN atm. For the amount of time your companion is on slicing missions, you are not going to get rich. And statements like below is just not true. He may have 300K credits, but he didn't get them from slicing and is probably pulling your chain.

My brother is at level 35 and he was bragging about bringing back 4 - 10k per lockbox, he now has over 300,000 credits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    To give people accurate information, slicing is marginally profitable. You would make more money by just questing or even just doing PvP. You do get some blue other materials, but they are not selling well on the GTN atm. For the amount of time your companion is on slicing missions, you are not going to get rich. And statements like below is just not true. He may have 300K credits, but he didn't get them from slicing and is probably pulling your chain.

Well, I guess that entirely depends on how many comps you have out on slicing missions at a time. If each one is bringing back 4-10k each, it starts to add up quickly. And while true that PvP and questing will give better credits per hour, the other professions are making decent change at the moment as well. I've been selling stacks of low-level crafting mats, and at level 18 I've made well over 60k credits from it. Unfortunately, most of those credits have been immediately turned around and dumped back into the GTN, so I'm not really making a 'true' profit :P I've gotten into the habit of buying items to shard for mats that I need, instead of spending the time (or at least supporting it) sending comps on missions for them. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort. I can spend a couple hundred credits to get mats I need instead of spending more, and more time, to get the same effect. The price of impatience

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Level 18, and sending companions off on a 7 minute mission for 400 credits and getting a 2500 credit lockbox is pretty awesome. At the start, you barely make anything, but even by the time you're at the 2nd tier of missions, you're making a decent amount.

Deleted
    From the start...either you end up with profit, or with PROFIT!!!!!!

Other proffesions don't make near as much...atleast atm, I don't know about endgame. I'm doing my best earning something with Armor crafting, but it's close to impossible if you don't find people to sell stuff to.

Slicing is awesome while leveling. I have over 575k credits at level 37. Obviously not all of it is from slicing, as I pick up and vendor everything, but it definitely gave the credit amount a big boost.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Well, I guess that entirely depends on how many comps you have out on slicing missions at a time. If each one is bringing back 4-10k each, it starts to add up quickly. And while true that PvP and questing will give better credits per hour, the other professions are making decent change at the moment as well. I've been selling stacks of low-level crafting mats, and at level 18 I've made well over 60k credits from it. Unfortunately, most of those credits have been immediately turned around and dumped back into the GTN, so I'm not really making a 'true' profit :P I've gotten into the habit of buying items to shard for mats that I need, instead of spending the time (or at least supporting it) sending comps on missions for them. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort. I can spend a couple hundred credits to get mats I need instead of spending more, and more time, to get the same effect. The price of impatience
    But, you can still quest and do PvP while your companions are off doing professions right? So, in the end you're making more credits by not having to constantly farm.

Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post

While I know you weren't talking directly to me, I feel as if you are calling me a liar. Yes, I do get credits from PVP and Missions, none make the money slicing does. I yank no chains and what I say is the truth. Do you slice? If so, what level? I'm speaking from experience. I have 4 companions and 1 is always out doing a lockbox mission. I rarely send 2 out at a time.

While the majority of my lock boxes are 1400 to 1800, I pull in the occasional 10K lockbox from a level 6. I got the highest rate of return on level 4 and level 5 when they routinely brought back 2500 to 4500 and as high as 6K.

I will start making major bank when I send all 3 of my companions out for lockboxes. Also, certain mods are selling good on my server.

-JP-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    But, you can still quest and do PvP while your companions are off doing professions right? So, in the end you're making more credits by not having to constantly farm.
    That was sort of my point Granted, questing for some classes is rather complicated without having a comp with you. So while the upper level players with all of their comps already won't have a problem with this, the lower level players will have to balance out having a comp with them and having one or more out on slicing runs. Again, either way works, it's more a matter of how you choose to play, I guess. But yes, getting the best of both worlds (questing and sending comps on missions) is definitely the optimal path to more credits.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Don't go with Slicing, credits are already trivial.
    Credits are hardly trivial at the release of a game, you're not sure how much money things will be on auctions.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard