Is there a crit cap?

Hey as the topic says, Im currently playing survival with 37.2% crit unbuffed and was wondering if there is a crit cap. Should i reforge some of the crit into mastery/haste?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's a soft cap, where the extra crit from Careful Aim during the first 10% is not fully utilized if you have a lot of crit. But really it's nothing to worry about, reforge as much as you can into crit.

if im not wrong its 104.8%
    Basically unreachable in cataclysm so just stack as much crit as you can after getting hit cap and getting as much agi as you can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    There's a soft cap, where the extra crit from Careful Aim during the first 10% is not fully utilized if you have a lot of crit. But really it's nothing to worry about, reforge as much as you can into crit.
    Survival dont spec in to Ca anymore.

Deleted
    past 52% crit on sv crit devalued down under mastery/haste. buffed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkets View Post
    past 52% crit on sv crit devalued down under mastery/haste. buffed.
    Why is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    The "crit cap" is when you have so much crit that normal hit is pushed off the attack table, at which point it's impossible to add more crit to the table. You never really see this, though. Agi DW melee (i.e. Enhance Shaman and Rogues) had to deal with it in ICC and started stacking up extra Hit towards the white hit cap, in order to avoid wasting any crit.

That's not so much a "cap" as it's the most you can benefit from crit. I see greated than a 100% crit chance in the Well of Eternity 5-man. You can have a 120% chance to crit, but all that would mean is that you crit every time, unless it's a glancing blow, dodge, block, or parry. that extra 20% wouldn't really make a difference.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2011-12-22 at 08:02 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

44.8% is a soft cap for MM since they use CA still

Survival there is no "cap" but mastery will start to overtake crit around 55%ish since that was the number where ArP started to become viable in wrath.

Survival has 98.8% soft crit cap because of the glyph for Explosive Shot (+6% crit chance)?

we won't be able to reach any kind of crit cap in this expansion apart from the CA one.

i dont think you could hit the crit cap, but im pretty sure its 100% lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the ICC days when I had like 70% - 80% crit. Good times.
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI

Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    Can pets get 104.8% crit? there would be a soft cap somewhere based on where the pet crit talents put the pet on that compared to the master
    Pets have to worry about the glancing blow table as well as the extra crit they get compared to hunters, so their cap is somewhat lower, but it's really not low enough to actually be a problem this expansion. As mentioned before, the CA cap is the only one which might be a factor.

Full hit/expertise (which your pet gets from you being hit capped), the formula from wotlk for melee classes was: Crit Cap = 100% - 24% glancing blows - X% dodge chance - X% miss chance. So, 8% chance to miss (shamans/ferals/etc), 6.5% dodge chance, the melee crit cap was 76% (assuming hit/exp cap). If your pet is close to 70% crit, I'd consider you being close to that same cap. I had to constantly be careful of going over that cap in ICC as a feral cat I remember the 76% number well!