Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    So a question I have is because I started playing WoW in Nov 09', when did duel spec actually hit WoW? How long from launch until we saw duel spec?
    It didn't exist when WOW was released. It is currently standard. WoW was ahead of its time for adding it, or at least right on time, whereas SWTOR is years behind for not having the same feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Pliers View Post
    There was no reason to have the API closed in the first place. To not have a combat log is crazy.

I'm enjoying it as an RPG, but to have any sort of MMO feel, I should at least be able to know how I'm performing, especially relative to others. For example, if I don't know which spells do the most damage, I am not making a meaningful choice when I hit one over another. I'm effectively flailing on my keys, and watching things die, and that won't sate people for long.
    Rotations mean exactly shit when you're leveling. Worry about your best damage dealers when it's time. Or, perhaps, just enjoy the game and stop acting like it's a job. It doesn't matter what your best abilities are if the boss dies. And, considering everything has a CD, you will probably use every ability in your repertoire in every rotation of CDs.

alot of mmorpgs do fine without add ons

but heres to hoping that bioware doesnt give in to the world of warcraft whiney casual crowd and ends up ruining the game and making it just like world of warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Pliers View Post
    It didn't exist when WOW was released. It is currently standard. WoW was ahead of its time for adding it, or at least right on time, whereas SWTOR is years behind for not having the same feature.
    Bioware has already stated that Dual Spec would be something they'd implement after launch.

whereas SWTOR is years behind for not having the same feature.
    so just because star wars the old republic has 1 feature that world of warcraft doesnt have that means its years behind?

see,this is exactly why im half into wanting to play star wars the old republic.i can just see it now,eather there gonna give in and make the game pretty much world of warcraft.or half the playerbase will leave because they want it to be exactly like world of warcraft

These things will all come with time, and not having them now doesn't make the game any less playable. I'm quite happy to wait for such features either way.

Most spells have dynamic tooltips for damage values so it's not that hard to figure out what the best rotation is. Only problem I've had so far with my 32 Sage Seer is that I have no idea how much Force Armor absorbs and it's scaling.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

this game is not wow and it will never be wow. wow has been going 7 years now and has had tones of stuff added since launch. stop trying to make the game something its not. if you want something like wow then go play wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    this game is not wow and it will never be wow. wow has been going 7 years now and has had tones of stuff added since launch. stop trying to make the game something its not. if you want something like wow then go play wow.
    welll said ! and Merry Christmas everybody !

I'm not sure why people say generating an API or opening their API should be trivial. It's not. First they do not have an API. The game was coded by hand and not based on a previous engine. Second they have huge security issues to deal with. It's gonna take a while to implement that. It's not like they can throw money around and make these things happen.

Wow did have addon support at launch,
    betas/ptrs are used by addon developers as a time to get addons built/updated for launches.

first week wow addons may not have been much compared to heavily developed addons, but support was well on its way at launch.
    for SWTOR developers will be starting from a future date, so real work won't even begin until that support is available.

Someone mentioned BC is when addons really took off. I've been using addons regularly since well before BC and a couple were required for raiding by many guilds CT_Raid anyone? and some were wonderful QoL addons, from simple addons like Titan, and various information bars, counters, timers, to the more development heavy ones like atlas. Trying to find your way through the maze they called wailing caverns was difficult enough with a map from Atlas, it was a nightmare without it.

Addons have always been an integral part of the wow experience, not because they were all needed, but because somewhere, someone wanted specific information on the screen that wasn't already there. The excuse the game has only been out a week doesn't pretend to answer why a game that has been in development for many years doesnt have at least basic support for simple things. As a PC gamer, I find much of the enjoyment in PC games has been modding and seeing mods other people have created. This helps build a community of people with an investment in a game and feeds a demand for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    As a customer I simply don't care whether that competitor over there *points at WoW and such* had X years of headstart. What I care about is what the product they are trying to sell me has to offer and as far as the interface goes SWTOR is a bit lacking. I couldn't care less whether they fix that by improving the UI on their own or by opening up an addon API but some things have to be done. And advicing people to just go back to WoW if they are not satisfied with this or that feature might backfire badly, because as we have seen in the past few years many will do exactly that and leave another MMO struggling. Would be a shame because SWTOR has a lot of potential.

Deleted
    Find a mob , click a spell , kill the mob see how much damage that attack did .
    Find an other , click an other spell > wrote down in a piece of paper how much damage , it did .
    Now learn to use the spells that did the most damage and every1 is happy

Nope sorry , we dont need a combat log , but a little brain .
    Try to find the bread and buter spells
    Last edited by mmocbeb563a6f8; 2011-12-24 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shitcook View Post
    Find a mob , click a spell , kill the mob see how much damage that attack did .
    Find an other , click an other spell > wrote down in a piece of paper how much damage , it did .
    Now learn to use the spells that did the most damage and every1 is happy

Nope sorry , we dont need a combat log , but a little brain .
    Try to find the bread and buter spells

WTF . . .OMG . . .LOL.???!!!@#!!

Event if total damage was only the result of 1 or 3 spell which i hope is not in SWTOR (why have 20+ spell if only 1-3 is useful), you are saying for me to know which spell rotation/use and wich stat is efficient (Crit, Power etc . . .) , i need to record myself my damage one by one (more 100+ data) on a paper and use a calculator etc etc????

O yeah that's a great brain uses (waste time)
    welcome back to 1970's and let's play Text game.
    Last edited by Mortel_Massif; 2011-12-24 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamaeli View Post
    People do not remember that WoW have been online like 7 years now... and when they started in wotlk or tbc there was those all kinds adds and stuff to help playing and building better UI.

and now some fearsome fact... WoW didnt have addons in vanilla when first week was over... ok ok now some of ppl are like O.o o.O WTF are that dude speaking!!!!!111! wow didnt have a addons!. I DONT BELIVE IT!

TLDER just give it time... there will eventualy be a addons and custom UI...

AND yes MY englishh is very good since im from w

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 12:37 AM ----------

But those addons were create years later than wow started... wow didnt have addons when it hit online first time...
    Fair enough, except I never raided without CTmod and I got server second Ragnaros on EU Sunstrider, guild name was Mortality. I'm with addons not being in at least, but EA have made it as hard as possible to create add ons for SWTOR which in turn alienates any "hardcore" MMO players. I like SWTOR and for the most part I like it. However I have 2 problems, the first is menial. The Anti Aliasing for me seems low, I play the game on max settings with shadows turned off and pretty much everything has a sort of halo effect generated by the AA. The second however isn't menial and it isn't knit picking. I'm playing a Marauder, it's a melee class, having to look to the bottom left corner to see my resources isn't intuitive, having to look at the bottom of my screen to watch CD's isn't intuitive either. Follow that up with the fact that it's impossible for me to work out whether Force Scream is worth using or not and I feel I've got a couple of legitimate complaints.

I'm not looking to move from WoW but being able to set up the UI in a fashion I find intuitive isn't asking for alot, being able to see how much damage I'm doing isn't asking for the world either, hopefully EA will listen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    I'll use RIFT as an example.

Though it was months after release before addons were allowed, they at least got some basic UI functions at launch.

A small crappy company like Trion without the resources of Activision and EA behind it was able to put out:

- a combat log
    - a decent AH interface without a bunch of hoops
    - mouseover macros
    - raid frames
    - multiple specs

What is Bioware's excuse?
    not so wow copy?

Deleted
    A lot of players seem to forget that addons are little more than a crutch and an optional one at that. Far too many encounters in WoW seem designed with addons in mind, though I'll never understand the appeal of eroding away the challenge in an encounter by having a flashy addon tell you when to move out of the fire. I see a lot of raiders complain about a lack of challenge and yet many of them are using addons to eliminate a large portion of the challenge itself.

Addons alone aren't the issue, though. Boss encounters being spoiled in-depth before release are also a problem. I'm sure many will disagree, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it true that they have confirmed that add-ons will be allowed?

link or it didn't happen
    Watch the weather change...

Quote Originally Posted by Drek View Post
    I'll agree it's alittle early for some of the complaints (3 days live..) and the game may not have 7 years of being fine tuned.

But it is almost unbelievable how lame the UI they released this game with is. This game has been in development for years. This game, like all mmos, takes little ideas and features from all the mmo that came before it. So you're telling the developers never played another mmo and looked at their own game and thought "maybe being able to move and resize this stuff like in <game> would be a good idea" or "maybe having the buff, debuff, and procs as tiny little icons on the bottom of the screen is a bad idea"

You'd think while they spent all the time on the visuals, story, gameplay, they'd consider their game would be attracting veteran mmo players right off the bat and cater to their play styles so they don't go running back to wow, rift, etc after a week.

The game is great imo, but it's a great foundation and unfortunately there are only so many of us willing to wait for them to build on that.
    Totally agree with you. I thought the whole point of creating a new MMO would be to expand on the successful points of previous MMO's, then introduce new elements, story, and in a way take a step towards the next generation of MMO's and make it your own. When a brand new MMO with this much backing lacks such core elements like a presentable UI, lack luster talent tree's, LFG options, and dual spec(just to name a few) it makes me wonder what did they spend all that talent, time, and money doing?

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Rotations mean exactly shit when you're leveling. Worry about your best damage dealers when it's time. Or, perhaps, just enjoy the game and stop acting like it's a job. It doesn't matter what your best abilities are if the boss dies. And, considering everything has a CD, you will probably use every ability in your repertoire in every rotation of CDs.
    If it doesn't matter what your best abilities are, doesn't that mean that there is no skill in the game? If you can succeed without even knowing what your best abilities are, isn't the game then too easy?