Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    I'd vote for Sorc as well. I think the mix of heavy DoT and decent direct is a winner in a raid environment.

  2. #42
    I'm playing a sniper, and from what I can tell, my DPS is very high. I have more amazing damage skills than I know what to do with sometimes. It's hard to compare to other people right now, of course. I just can't imagine that any class is better at DPS. My survivability is also somewhat decent. I have an evasion move.

  3. #43
    Herald of the Titans ElAmigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orange Park, Fl
    Posts
    2,930
    It's way to early to tell; for example I've seen people in this thread complaining about shadows/assassins or juggernauts/guardians being weak yet they're only in they're low twenties. As you go farther into your talent trees not only do you get new skills that definitely change your play style you also get talents that change your rotation (for example as a shadow you really shouldn't be using your force moves to maximize your dps until you get talents for project that make it worth while using.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

  4. #44
    From what I can tell so far... in my many hours of playing... and doing a substantial amount of PVP. I am a high 20's Marauder and I absolutely get torn up in PVP battles by Bounty Hunters. I'm not real familiar with the BH advanced class, but I know they are undisputed champs of PVP. From about 20'ish on. They can go toe to toe with just about anyone within 10 levels of their level. Someone in my guild is a 30'ish BH with an advanced class and if he doesn't get 10 medals, he's having an off game. He does the most damage and the most kills in any given match.

    -JP-

  5. #45
    Mechagnome gualdhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    679
    In terms of Consular/Inquisitor, rough numbers from tooltips have shown the shared tree (balance/madness) to be much higher dps than the other dps trees.

    However, if there is a hybrid tax, I'm going to be pissed. If I want to DPS, I should be able to do it competitively regardless of my spec. I played a Warlock in WoW, and I didn't feel shafted by Shadow Priests just because they could heal if they had to. Shadow Priests sucked at healing, and did competitive dps, so I could play whichever DPS spec I wanted and was fine. Sure, some patches I was better than others, but that was just balance issues. If I want to play a consular shadow DPS, I'm not going into the tanking tree for damage mitigation stuff (which, by the way, is where the vast majority of a consular tank's mitigation comes from), I'm taking all damage increasing skills. So why should I be penalized because my AC has a tank spec I'm not using?

    It would be one thing if I purposefully went a little into the tanking tree to increase my survivability. But if I'm not touching it, if I'm going with a pure DPS build, then my DPS should be competitive. Otherwise, we're gonna have 6 advanced classes with DPS trees that no one wants in their raids.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

  6. #46
    Inquisitor Sorcerer is awesome so far.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Topp View Post
    This isnt WoW.
    There is no hybrid tax.
    like there was a hybrid tax in wow?

    thats why druids are the best at everything amirite?

    i think assassins are probably the best atm. every time im in a group with another one we just plow the the fps or w/e we are doing

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by JonProphet78 View Post
    From what I can tell so far... in my many hours of playing... and doing a substantial amount of PVP. I am a high 20's Marauder and I absolutely get torn up in PVP battles by Bounty Hunters. I'm not real familiar with the BH advanced class, but I know they are undisputed champs of PVP. From about 20'ish on. They can go toe to toe with just about anyone within 10 levels of their level. Someone in my guild is a 30'ish BH with an advanced class and if he doesn't get 10 medals, he's having an off game. He does the most damage and the most kills in any given match.

    -JP-
    how many people are bounty hunters though? cuz i dont know,i was thinkin about maybe tryin a 100 percent pyro tree bounty hunter out but i dont wanna make it if i join a warzone and see 95 percent of my team bounty hunters

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    The fact that the full DPS in the second composition deal MORE damage than the DPS in the first (because there IS a hybrid tax for the second one and there is none for the first one) is evading you.

    Also the fact that the hybrids in the second composition can heal the pure DPS AND the healer when needed while the full-on healer heals only the tank. They can also deal damage, yes, it wont be better than the damage the pure DPS give, but it will be damage, basically they are dealing damage and in case of emergency they switch to heal their mates.
    This is a bad argument. The times when off heals pays off is so incredibly small it's stupid to mention it. If I have a "hybrid" "dps" whos constantly throwing out weak heals and wasting the actual healers mana or making bosses enrage because they waste their resources and do garbage dps I'm going to fix that problem. Unless bioware makes a fight where offspec healing is required (not gonna happen) your argument is flawed.

    This game has no duel spec, people aren't just up and switching specs every fight. You are asking for people to be unjustly gimped so you can roll out the big dps with a "pure" and show it off to people. Oh wait, you're in the wrong game! No damage meter for people like you.

  10. #50
    If specced pure dps, any class should be competitive. There are no miniscule diffirences noteable yet as there are no damage meters (thank god). So we cannot really say which class is the best dps. But if thats all you care about?

  11. #51
    No damage meter for people like you.
    yet

    i mean,the game just came out.im sure eventually over time they could add one in,but whatever i guess it depends on if star wars tor is gonna be another rift that fails in a couple months
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2011-12-23 at 08:43 PM.

  12. #52
    As a sniper i can kill a regular mob in 3 shots, all fairly quickly too usually before they get a shot off on me.

  13. #53
    On any given game there are atleast 3 or 4, sometimes per each side!

    -JD-

  14. #54
    I am still undecided on this issue of the "hybrid tax."

    On one hand I want people to be competitive dps wise with any AC of their choosing.

    On the other hand I find classes like the sniper to be too weak unless they top out on dps. Sniper's have one spec -- damage. However, on my Operative, I have two viable specs. Healing, and damage. If my operative specced for damage can do just as much damage as the sniper -- there's little to no reason to roll a sniper. Added to the fact that my operative has stealth, sleeping darts, healing, damage, etc, etc.

    If damage is essentially the same across the board for all AC's specced for damage -- then the choice of selection should be based primarily on taking an AC that provides a tank or healer spec as their respective dps specs are similar to the "pure" dps ACs. Re-branding abilities, and giving them different animations...but do comparative damage is pointless.

    If an Operative specced for damage, can do very similar damage next to the Sniper -- then there is absolutely no reason to play one. Arguing that "you like to play the class" is a horrible excuse because you're knowingly gimping yourself for no reason beyond aesthetics. Glass cannon AC's should be just that -- do incredible amounts of damage (in some cases, far and beyond all others), but have little survivability if targeted.

    And, if stating that ranged is a strong point for the sniper -- well, then turn to the BH Mercenary. They can DPS, heal, AoE, Heavy Armor, and are ranged. Further -- removing the point of a "pure" damage AC with no alternative specs to heal/tank -- unless their damage is far and beyond those of other ACs.

    ---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 01:24 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    If specced pure dps, any class should be competitive. There are no miniscule diffirences noteable yet as there are no damage meters (thank god).
    The issue in the case of the sniper/marauder (and, republic variants) is that they are PURE dps ACs. It is not "specced pure dps" as that is all their specs really allow. They cannot retrain to become a healer/tank. They can only retrain to become dps/dps (or, maybe dps/more survivability/CC). If all other ACs specced for dps do comparable damage -- there is next to no reason to play one apart from aesthetics.

    They simply give up too much to become pure damage dealers, when their sacrifices don't grant them any benefits. They turned into a class that is pigeon holed into one area that others can do just as well...but the other ACs are better because of their alternate options (ie. healing/tank).

    If it is true that all damage is within 5% of each other there is truly NO reason to play a pure damage AC. Say what you want, but the sacrifices do not grant any added benefits. I'll take my stealth, sleep dart, DoTs, healing, damage any day over a marauder if we do comparable damage. They can keep their dual wielding lightsabers -- they're obviously just for show.

  15. #55
    There's a lot of hearsay nonsense about class balance while leveling since mobs actually have HP and hit hard, especially elites.

    The biggest hurdle with the class balance is mostly that some classes, early on, have iffy skill pacing. Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior is a big one for this.

    I hope this game doesnt become a gigantic CWASS BAWANCE shitstorm like WoW, where all they do is hotfix and change and upturn design because of baby differences in design or 5% gaps. Musical fucking chairs.
    Last edited by MapleMeringue; 2011-12-23 at 10:34 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Topp View Post
    This isnt WoW.
    There is no hybrid tax.
    WoW hasn't had hybrid tax in years.

  17. #57
    Obviously these people DON'T play the game I guess, the true dps classes (those that can ONLY do dps with 3 trees) sometimes are NOT
    top in dps. ANY class can be top dps, although I am #1 in DPS probably 95% of games as Commando, sometimes I'll be out DPS'd by a Smuggler, or Sith Inquisitor (BOTH OF WHICH CAN HEAL) so the point about true DPS being the best, is 100% WRONG.

    On a side note, IA has been top, and sometimes Bounty Hunter. I never see Sith warrior, or Jedi Knight near the top.

  18. #58
    There's no DPS metering, so you don't see anything near anywhere. The only actual measurement is the warzones and typically those tend to favor Sage/Sorcerer most of all at the moment. Very slippery, very good ranged damage.

  19. #59
    Obviously these people DON'T play the game I guess, the true dps classes (those that can ONLY do dps with 3 trees) sometimes are NOT
    top in dps. ANY class can be top dps, although I am #1 in DPS probably 95% of games as Commando, sometimes I'll be out DPS'd by a Smuggler, or Sith Inquisitor (BOTH OF WHICH CAN HEAL) so the point about true DPS being the best, is 100% WRONG.

    On a side note, IA has been top, and sometimes Bounty Hunter. I never see Sith warrior, or Jedi Knight near the top.
    You cant look at battleground damage meters to see who does the most dps.
    As a sniper i can kill a regular mob in 3 shots, all fairly quickly too usually before they get a shot off on me.
    I'm playing a sniper too and we have great burst damage. That doesn't necessarily translate to good DPS though. I'm assuming OP is talking raid boss style damage, in which case its all about sustained. As snipers we're punished in the long room if we choose to burst.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonic View Post
    I am still undecided on this issue of the "hybrid tax."

    On one hand I want people to be competitive dps wise with any AC of their choosing.

    On the other hand I find classes like the sniper to be too weak unless they top out on dps. Sniper's have one spec -- damage. However, on my Operative, I have two viable specs. Healing, and damage. If my operative specced for damage can do just as much damage as the sniper -- there's little to no reason to roll a sniper. Added to the fact that my operative has stealth, sleeping darts, healing, damage, etc, etc.

    If damage is essentially the same across the board for all AC's specced for damage -- then the choice of selection should be based primarily on taking an AC that provides a tank or healer spec as their respective dps specs are similar to the "pure" dps ACs. Re-branding abilities, and giving them different animations...but do comparative damage is pointless.

    If an Operative specced for damage, can do very similar damage next to the Sniper -- then there is absolutely no reason to play one. Arguing that "you like to play the class" is a horrible excuse because you're knowingly gimping yourself for no reason beyond aesthetics. Glass cannon AC's should be just that -- do incredible amounts of damage (in some cases, far and beyond all others), but have little survivability if targeted.

    And, if stating that ranged is a strong point for the sniper -- well, then turn to the BH Mercenary. They can DPS, heal, AoE, Heavy Armor, and are ranged. Further -- removing the point of a "pure" damage AC with no alternative specs to heal/tank -- unless their damage is far and beyond those of other ACs.[COLOR="red"]
    The reason to roll a Sniper is... because thats what you enjoy playing. The type of person that would roll a Sniper clearly has no interest in healing or tanking, so the fact that his class can't perform either role is a non-issue. He hasn't sacrificed anything. Yeah, he can't heal himself, but so what? He has a raid-wide shield wall that reduces raid damage by 20%. He has portable cover that makes him immune to interrupts and knock backs. He can reduce enemy accuracy by 45%. This AC is far from a "Glass canon", its full of utility -- and for the most part, its utility that costs him nothing.

    Yes, the Operative can heal but this isn't WOW where Hybrids have endless resources. Those heals leave a huge dent in his energy pool or eat up Tactical Advantage, and thus is a detriment to his DPS. Stealth is useless for anything but skipping or hiding in pvp. and sleep darts have no effect in combat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •