Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Strongest dps advanced class (all classes)

Hi guys,

I know its probably a bit early since most of us haven't reached endgame yet, but what would you think is the one of the, or perhaps the strongest dps advanced class there is at the moment? Since i really have a hard time choosing my main.
    I played a juggernaut, which in my opinion is a bit behind (i do have to say i only played it till level 28)

Tnx alot for the info!

Deleted
    It has to be the classes that are DPS only and not hybrids.
    Sniper or gunslinger for example.
    SInce they cant heal or take loads of damage, they should compensate with loads of DPS.

Well, it's kinda hard to tell, considering we don't have any kind of meter at all. You'd have to ask someone who has all classes to max level, and I don't think there's someone like that on live yet.

Personally I'm playing a DPS Commando, and I'm loving it. People tell me that Commandos are bad and weak, but I'm not seeing it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Very hard to tell but I find Juggernaut very capable of killing things quickly (whether others are quicker I don't know).

I know there will always be 1 class doing more DPS but without parses we will not be able to tell. I just hope that all AC's end up on similar damage and not huge gaps. Oh and no pure DPS class does not mean it does more than a Hybrid who chose DPS. The advantage of pure DPS is that you never have to Tank / Heal not that you do more damage.

In the end why do you want to play the FOTM class at launch when everyone knows at end game adjustments will be made because they is bound to be something OP around Play whichever you enjoy the most

For once, it would be nice if people stopped caring about the meters and just worked with their group to take down whatever boss is there while playing the class they enjoyed. Kinda why I wish there were support classes in WoW, and a need for them in raid groups.

Deleted
    Smuggler Scrapper is best atm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    It has to be the classes that are DPS only and not hybrids.
    Sniper or gunslinger for example.
    SInce they cant heal or take loads of damage, they should compensate with loads of DPS.
    This isnt WoW.
    There is no hybrid tax.

Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    For once, it would be nice if people stopped caring about the meters and just worked with their group to take down whatever boss is there while playing the class they enjoyed. Kinda why I wish there were support classes in WoW, and a need for them in raid groups.
    That can't be done when PvE is competitive.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Right now I am only 25, so I really can't say for sure. But I am a Smuggler Scoundrel and I feel like I can put out some pretty good damg. Using somewhat of a hybrid build between scrapper and dirty fighting I put out some pretty good damage.
    I was dirty fighting at first but it seems to be a spec only worth going at max level as it seems to be a spec you don't see a lot of the damg in until you have a lot of points in it. Also, I thought I would hate the scrapper style of play, as my rogue was my least favorite character out of all 10 classes in WoW, but I actually like it a lot.

Deleted
    You shouldn't decide you class choice on this. Just don't do that, they will change balance around in the nearby future in radical ways. The class that may be best right now may be the worst next week. Just go with the DPS playstyle you like best. All classes will have their moments of glory and all of them will stay viable throughout.

Ive heard few times, and I'd be REALLY disappointed if it's not true, that there is NO hybrid tax in swtor. Any class has a potential to be the best. I theoretically have a healing spec on my Commando, but there's no way in hell I'm ever going to use that and I don't want to lose dps because of that. One of many reasons why I quit WoW in the end was a hybrid tax on my warrior (which was a purely only dps, never tanking a single fight in more than 2 years of hardcore raiding).

Deleted
    All i can say is that Jedi Shadow aint the best dps, at lvl 25 i struggle abit killing monsters alone

Deleted
    Single target is Marauder or Sniper (at 50)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentWolf View Post
    Ive heard few times, and I'd be REALLY disappointed if it's not true, that there is NO hybrid tax in swtor. Any class has a potential to be the best. I theoretically have a healing spec on my Commando, but there's no way in hell I'm ever going to use that and I don't want to lose dps because of that. One of many reasons why I quit WoW in the end was a hybrid tax on my warrior (which was a purely only dps, never tanking a single fight in more than 2 years of hardcore raiding).
    Blizz hasn't talked about a Hybrid tax in quite a while and personally I think a lot of it is more in the mind of the player. Warriors especially haven been doing pretty well in the past two years, along side mages they were the strongest DPS throughout ICC, they were middle to strong in 4.0 and were the best melee in firelands.

I do agree though, Hybrid tax is a bad idea, especially in a game without dual spec, if you're going to fiddle with DPS numbers they should at least base it around actual useful raid utility a spec brings, i.e. I'm fine with Boomkins currently being a little low on the DPS charts (on a fight they can't multi-dot) since they bring both a tranquility and a full life BR, that makes them a valuable asset to a raid.

Deleted
    I find my merc is a tonne more powerful than the marauder in beta. Just has insane aoe damage with the ability to take out groups of mobs with either one/two clicks. Against strong mobs by the time my tracer missile is fully stacked they're pretty much dead.
    Last edited by mmoc6d00db7716; 2011-12-23 at 01:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diop View Post
    Blizz hasn't talked about a Hybrid tax in quite a while and personally I think a lot of it is more in the mind of the player. Warriors especially haven been doing pretty well in the past two years, along side mages they were the strongest DPS throughout ICC, they were middle to strong in 4.0 and were the best melee in firelands.

I do agree though, Hybrid tax is a bad idea, especially in a game without dual spec, if you're going to fiddle with DPS numbers they should at least base it around actual useful raid utility a spec brings, i.e. I'm fine with Boomkins currently being a little low on the DPS charts (on a fight they can't multi-dot) since they bring both a tranquility and a full life BR, that makes them a valuable asset to a raid.
    This is Star Wars fella, boomkins got raped by a light saber.

Deleted
    bounty hunter has insane burst if you press buttons in the right order

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    the only thing I like about mmos is the competitive aspect raiding and damage meters brings to them(but I love that aspect, that's why I keep playing them). also, I would really hate playing in a raid and knowing whether or not I play my class to its full potential or not. and I know I'm not alone on that so that's why mmos that refuse to use addons(rift) will never have the slightest chance of surviving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draex View Post
    This is Star Wars fella, boomkins got raped by a light saber.
    I'm aware of that but the person I was responding to brought up Blizzard and a number of people mentioned the Hybrid tax. I talked about Boomkins because, frankly I know a lot of people currently playing SWTOR will be coming from a WoW background and it gives them something specific to reference rather than being vague and just saying "I.e. if a spec that's usually DPS had some amazing healing cooldown, etc"

I have yet to see a class that does not do competetive DPS while leveling. And the gear seems to be well in place at launch. Damage meters will tell when that time comes, but for now just pick a class with the theme you love and go DPS. There are so many options it's not even funny to pick one specific class that is the ultimate dps in this game. It's hard to tell, so unless you have a few months to wait you better just pick one I am afraid.

There's different types of DPS though, Assassins/Shadows are very bursty (get a proc up, use it fast, more procs) and have one amazing CC while a Sage/Sorceror dps specced player is less bursty but has consistent hard damage. I haven't tried many of the others, but I know that Bounty hunters, agents and smugglers can hit really hard. Especially the merc bounty hunters that go dps. They are pretty hefty. Ranged though.

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hellprank View Post
    All i can say is that Jedi Shadow aint the best dps, at lvl 25 i struggle abit killing monsters alone
    That's why you have a companion. Also note that there are weak, standard, hard, elite and champion mobs in this game. Not just standard, rare and elite. The champion is unkillable for some classes even with a companion.

Actually, tbqh there is a lot of blasted hard mobs in TOR. You can die so fast it's hillarious when someone tries to run past mobs only to die horribly.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2011-12-23 at 01:49 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.