Thread: psu problem

psu problem

my friend bought components few days ago and put his own computer together, it worked fine but he heard a snap sound and it stopped working. he belives its the psu.
    http://www.inter-tech.de/index.php?o...id=166&lang=en
    thats the psu. does it have like a resetable fuse or does he need to buy a new one?

Can you be a little more specific on what you mean by a "snap sound"?

Was there a distinct smell and/or the magic blue smoke?

So, I Googled "Snap sound computer shut off" and got a bunch of answers, I'd have your friend start with the suggestions from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...d-mobo-failure

Fuzzeekee
    It's PROBABLY the fuse or a *MAYBE* a small capacitor. Resistors will usually burn, they don't make any sound....The fuses are loud. The capacitors can also be loud too, but they don't go before the fuse does, of course unless something is REALLY bad...digital logic can also make that sound, but it's usually silent and there's a lot of smoke. You can fix something like that, but it's NOT recommended, it's a bad warning sign...

Hope that helps, merry XMAS!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not a brand I am familiar with, probably due to it being from across the pond. As Fuzzeekee has suggested its highest probable cause is a blown fuse or capacitor, it would be in your best interest to unplug the power supply from the PC, remove it from the case, and send it back for warranty unless you are comfortable taking it apart.

no flame, just a snap. i told him to look for bursted capacitors on all components and pack his psu and send it to warranty
    tyvm for fast resposes all of you

Fuzzeekee
    If they are going to take it apart.

Be warned about the HUGE capacitors inside and the smaller transformers. These suckers can hold a charge for YEARS. Just be careful not to touch the metal contacts on those. Honestly I think the fuse is probably internal, as only a 1980s PSU has the fuse for easy access...If you understand some basic electrical stuff you can spot check the inside of the PSU, but be careful, and you will need to know what rating the fuse is to buy a new one. It's a complicated process, and like the moderator says, you're probably WAY better replacing it. I'm usually SCARED of that. I don't even like touching crazy digital power PSUs, the complexity is insane...So many types, circuits, designs, etc.

I really don't know why I'm linking this, I just don't think you should touch the inside, take a look at this safety guide and you'll see why: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm#ctdtk

Not as bad as this though: The scariest capacitors are in old CRT TVs...My father is an electronics tech so I was exposed to information as a child. The charge in those is SOOO insane...

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 08:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by darktemplaru View Post
    no flame, just a snap. I told him to look for bursted capacitors on all components and pack his psu and send it to warranty
    tyvm for fast resposes all of you
    merry christmas man