Deleted

What the hell is wrong with my computer?

So after having problems with 1 of my 6970 cards i got both of them replaced. The problems i had included : Bluescreens, crashing, screenflickering, etc etc. Turned out 1 of the cards was faulty, so i got 2 new ones. After playing BF3 for about 1 hour the problem happens AGAIN with the new ones - Everything freezes, and i need to shut down the process to make the computer "un-stuck". I try running with CF disabled, same problem. I try with 1 card at a time and hey presto - seems 1 of them is broken. I continue using the other non-broken card, and don't have any problems.

Then suddenly, my screen turns black and my graphicscard fan goes crazy - as in, it sounds like a jet until i shut it off with the powerbutton. I move it to another PCI-E slot. Same problem after around 2 minutes(I can start the computer just fine).

So now i am using the First card, which has problems in BF3 but i can atleast use my computer with it. What the hell is wrong with my computer? There is NO WAY it can be GPU related, it's just not possible i get THREE faulty graphicscards from different manufacturers(the first pair was PowerColor the current one is XFX).

Help!!

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reeks of a bad psu not able to handle the stress or maybe a bad pci-x slot, but I'm leaning towards the power supply, if you could provide more info that's requested in the sticky section that may help.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Specs
    CPU : Intel Core i7 950
    PSU : Corsair TX750W
    RAM : 6 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz
    1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
    120 GB OCZ Vertex SSD
    1920x1080 resolution

Note : When i use the cards i had before i bought the first pair of 6970's(2x 6870's) everything works perfect, no crashes, no lag, no bluescreens.

have you had any power failures recently? perhaps a power surge (if you don't have a surge protector) may have damaged some component. from the sounds of it, it sounds a bit like a faulty main board, more so than a bad power supply. then again, if your PSU can't handle the extra drain from the cards that don't work compared to the older ones you have, that could also be the problem.

have you tried running any diagnostics on your system? if there is a hardware failure, those should pick it up.
    Last edited by shearx; 2011-12-23 at 09:01 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazrs View Post
    Specs
    CPU : Intel Core i7 950
    PSU : Corsair TX750W
    RAM : 6 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz
    1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
    120 GB OCZ Vertex SSD
    1920x1080 resolution

Note : When i use the cards i had before i bought the first pair of 6970's(2x 6870's) everything works perfect, no crashes, no lag, no bluescreens.
    I agree with the previous poster. Do you happen to have those graphic cards laying around and seeing if they duplicate what you're experiencing? If you do, and they do have the same problem now, then your mobo is bad, if not, then power supply.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    No power failures, i ran furmark for around 10 min with nothing wierd happening.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure your power supply doesn't have enough power to power 2X HD6970's.

To verify utilize this power supply calculator with your system information. or this power supply calculator from Newegg.

When I put in your information into the Newegg power supply calculator it is giving me an estimated requirement of 1000 watts.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea it sounds like your PSU is giving out on you. Is your CPU overclocked? I personally wouldn't consider anything smaller then 850W myself running dual 6970's. I'm running a 900W for my cards.

Have you tried each card individually in each PCIE16 slot?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very few 750w PSUs have what it takes to handle 2x 6970s. In theory, 750 is enough. It's really not. Downclock on of your GPUs (alot.) and see if you're still crashing.
    Nutter

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Pretty sure your power supply doesn't have enough power to power 2X HD6970's.

To verify utilize this power supply calculator with your system information. or this power supply calculator from Newegg.

When I put in your information into the Newegg power supply calculator it is giving me an estimated requirement of 1000 watts.
    I'm leaning toward this as well, the more I think about it. Not having enough power can do crazy things.

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    Yea it sounds like your PSU is giving out on you. Is your CPU overclocked? I personally wouldn't consider anything smaller then 850W myself running dual 6970's. I'm running a 900W for my cards.

Have you tried each card individually in each PCIE16 slot?
    he said he's changed the configurations around, so that's already ruled out.

Deleted
    Well...i dunno about the "750W not being enough" thing since when i bought the new cards that was what i was worried about : Not having a good enough PSU. But after looking at a test(http://www.sweclockers.com/recension...50/20#pagehead) where they only used 630W in Furmark, and talking to some quite experienced friends who all said "750W is more than enough". It is however possible that the one i have has just died however.

Also i haven't overclocked anything.

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 11:11 PM ----------

Also, i had the first pair of 6970's for about 1 month without any problems at all, so they weren't broken from the start.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its quite possible that the power supply just couldn't keep up to the demands of the 2XHD6970's and actually caused the damage to the cards. Then in turn decided to shit the bed itself.

Deleted
    So i've been surfing + playing WoW on "Card 1" for about 3 hours now with no problems. Im gonna call the company i bought the parts from and see if i can get a new PSU just to test - not that i think that will happen though. So wierd though - yesterday i was able to play BF3 for a few hours with both cards in with no problems...bah

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So i've been surfing + playing WoW on "Card 1" for about 3 hours now with no problems. Im gonna call the company i bought the parts from and see if i can get a new PSU just to test - not that i think that will happen though. So wierd though - yesterday i was able to play BF3 for a few hours with both cards in with no problems...bah
    Failing voltage rails can work one minute and be dead the next. Unfortunately its part of the fun of my job.

Deleted
    Hmm...for thoose of you who know : IF it was my PSU that "fried" my graphicscard, would that be covered by warranty or would i need to buy a new card?

Deleted
    Just feign ignorance when returning the cards for warranty

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm...for thoose of you who know : IF it was my PSU that "fried" my graphicscard, would that be covered by warranty or would i need to buy a new card?
    Voids the warranty.