Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post

However, compare SWTOR and VANILLA.... and SWTOR wins.
    Haha what a bullshit, you're actually comparing a game from 7years ago with a game from now? haha its like comparing duke nukem 3D with MW3

Combat animations are one of the first things that struck me in TOR ... no generic waving hands around, your avatar does the abilities you fire, react to cc. For some reason ppl mist the spam fest of WoW and call it great feature. I would find it difficult to go back to it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Combat animations are one of the first things that struck me in TOR ... no generic waving hands around, your avatar does the abilities you fire, react to cc. For some reason ppl mist the spam fest of WoW and call it great feature. I would find it difficult to go back to it.
    How is an inquisitor any more or less spammy than a warlock or shadow priest? A good caster will be hitting something every single GCD(refering to DPS here). And since swtor has the same GCD as WoW, playing a caster in both games is identically spammy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    You haven't even seen operation armor lol good job prematurely commenting

How about we compare leveling armor with WoWs clown-tier leveling armor?
    Most of wow's "levelling" armour is from years ago.

I'll play your game though.

http://i.imgur.com/kWRjO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9KlgP.jpg

WoW's texture is higher resolution, doesn't mean it looks better overall.

Deleted
    To OP:
    The walking/running animation/feel doesn't seem as fluid as in wow, but its still decent. I prefer the wow style art, even though its lower poly_count, but thats just a personal perference. Of the style of art that swtor has, its very well done.

I've found character control and targetting to be a lot more awkward in close melee fights against multiple targets. For example in wow as feral cat, I can pounce one, throw out bashes and cyclones, its all very fluid and fast, swtor doesn't have the same fluidity, but that will improve a lot once they introduce mouseover macros.

Overall, if the movement feel is very very important to you, then you might want to wait until they introduce mouseover macros, but other than that its close enough to be worth trying. Personally the game isn't for me, will play out the first month but definitely won't be renewing (not going back to wow either, playing aoe online for the moment), wish they had a trial account or something so I could have saved myself the money, but oh well, lesson learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    How is an inquisitor any more or less spammy than a warlock or shadow priest? A good caster will be hitting something every single GCD(refering to DPS here). And since swtor has the same GCD as WoW, playing a caster in both games is identically spammy.
    Except it doesn't have same GCD. In TOR GCD is fixed, unaffected by haste. And the spammy refers mostly to the animations where WoW characters just wave their hands around and stuff flies from them ... it's ok untill you see better.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Except it doesn't have same GCD. In TOR GCD is fixed, unaffected by haste. And the spammy refers mostly to the animations where WoW characters just wave their hands around and stuff flies from them ... it's ok untill you see better.
    Which caster classes in swtor have better animations, in your opinion? Cuz my inquisitor just has a million variations on "point and lightning shoots out". My demo lock is way way better if variation is your thing. I didn't check, but do different races have different casting animations in swtor?

Quote Originally Posted by wooshiewoo View Post
    I've stated many times, if you cant play a new MMO on a 3 year old PC, then you are gimping your potential subscription numbers.

Gimped subscription numbers = dead game.
    My PC is almost 3 years old and runs the game on 45-60FPS on High/Medium Settings. What's your point? Note that if you're basing this on Beta experience, the retail game is smoother and has better and more consistent frame rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Spy View Post
    Press button - wait half a second - ability triggers.

Mouse over server latency - 32 MS

It is just short of the point where it makes me not want to play at all. but it's damn close. The delay is so ridiculous at times i can't stand it.
    Lol, that's actually an option. The default option is to queue abilities for 0.5 seconds (similar to WoW's latency compensation). You can turn that off, for abilities to go off instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Which caster classes in swtor have better animations, in your opinion? Cuz my inquisitor just has a million variations on "point and lightning shoots out". My demo lock is way way better if variation is your thing. I didn't check, but do different races have different casting animations in swtor?
    Every ability my scoundrel does has distinct animation ... no idea about inquisitor.

Deleted
    One thing that were buggering me was the looting, the delay made me go insane at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhwitch View Post
    There is so much fanboy fuel in the MMO war that I can't tell who is biased and who isn't. I wish someone would come in and put the kibosh on this. I'm curious about the fluidity of the models as well, but based on all but two or three replies in here I can not tell.
    If you expect it to feel and move exactly as WoW, then you will be disappointed.

If you don't have any specific expectations and are open to the idea of giving it time to get used to, then you won't mind it after a while.

The char has a slight feel of being to stiff in the torso part, as if he had a stick attached to he's back, it's mostly a feeling though, one that passes with time. Other than that the movements are just as responsive as WoW and I personally have not had any issues with the combat animations, the people who do might run on to high graphics settings for there own good I suspect.

Also, brand new MMO not being perfect 2 days after launch, SHOCKER.

Deleted
    I personally think that SWOTR is gonna be another "Rift-situation"... Everyone thinks that it's going to kill WoW, yet the opposite happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzlegear View Post
    I personally think that SWOTR is gonna be another "Rift-situation"... Everyone thinks that it's going to kill WoW, yet the opposite happens..
    no no no

every fanboy wow player says the next mmo will be a wow killer so when its not they can put their chest out and chin high and say they play the best game

Other normal people just want a change from 7 years of the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I think I know what you mean, the patented Blizzard "polish" that gives you an instant connect between activating an ability and seeing something happen on-screen (even if there is a delay before the cast-bar starts moving) and the sense that your character is really moving through the world rather than being an animated model skating over the top. If that's what you mean I totally understand because I've been put off MMOs in the first few levels because they didn't give as good a "feel" as WoW.

Any way SW:tOR isn't as polished as WoW in that regard but the questing and combat is so much fun I've barely noticed, I really recommend giving it a go.
    That's precisely what I think as well. WOW has a really nice response and feel to moving around and interacting with the UI. It has very solid feedback. SWTOR still has that feeling the UI is running a split second ahead/behind what is taking place on screen. It's difficult to describe. . . it's like trying to touch type on a keyboard with one of those plasticized protector films? It's not exactly bad, I found it more an issue on RIFT and it was a HUGE problem in Warhammer Online. Hopefully when/if they give the UI another polishing pass and unlock it to modification things will be better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    The combat is clunky, your companion delays all the time, the character movements are garbage. The quests are a complete joke as well. It's literally kill these mobs "x" amount of times or collect/disable such and such. It's getting so repetitive and mind numbing boring. Again, JMO.
    Because.... it's an MMO? You didn't expect this to happen? You really should work on your predictive skills

Deleted
    I agree with those saying that the character looks a bit stiff when moving around. So far (and I played in Beta as well) it's more of a visual factor than an actual one when playing. Just moving, that is. Add combat to it and it's a bit different. Then it actually feels slightly "clunky" when playing. Comparing it to other, more recent MMOs, SWTOR in this regard ends up alongside WAR, AOC, Rift etc. From good to very good but not the perfect score I would give WOW. It's just one of those things Blizzard just does really, really well.

Apart from hoping for slight improvement to movement animations ahead - which probably is not high on the agenda - there are two annoying things though in SWTOR that bothers me in regards to movement:

1. The camera auto adjusts to "from behind" when moving. You can't leave it at another angle. At least, I haven't seen such an option.
    2. On some surfaces the sound for running is very much like the sound of two coconuts banging together, Monthy Python style. Quite far off the actual sound of footsteps and something that bugs me every time I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhwitch View Post
    There is so much fanboy fuel in the MMO war that I can't tell who is biased and who isn't. I wish someone would come in and put the kibosh on this. I'm curious about the fluidity of the models as well, but based on all but two or three replies in here I can not tell.

All of these threads will attract fanboys. You title invited it with SWTOR vs WOW in the title. You are going to get the WoW folks trying to bash it unfairly which makes the SW folks over defend it.

Unless you absolutely can't afford $60, juts buy the game and play if for a month. Look at it as any other game that gets played a ton the first month then shelved. Since buying it includes the 30 sub, you can judge yourself

You will get WoW people saying the textures are better in WoW (which is a complete fallacy) and the SW folks claiming the animations are seamlessly smooth (another fallacy)
    "Peace is a lie"

Deleted
    I think the term "WoW killer" is way overused. They do take away chunks of subscribers, but in no way kill the game.

Opposite? You mean it creates more subs for WoW?? hmmm not sure that is true
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account
    The movement in SWTOR definitely feels a lot more stiff than WoW. So in the movement and feel department WoW wins.