Deleted

Elderly on the internet

So I thought I'd share a story.

<snip>

Have you had any weird experiences with elderly people discovering the internet?
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2012-01-21 at 12:59 AM.

Deleted
    Tell me about it... 5 years ago my mother and father didnt know what this "facebook" was. Now lately they cant stop talking about the damn thing! Everytime its something new they read, some new idiot that posted some stupid shit... anyones the crap outa me -.-. Right now when we have finished dinner, they both sit at the computer, teaching my grandpa, grandma, uncle and aunt how to make the most out of this "amazing" page known as Facebook...

What my parents have learned from the internet? Well all i know is that suddenly my father had a lot of playboy pdf in his hard drive... didnt look at him quiet the same for a few weeks..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Not all elders on the internet are so obsessed with "being right", but when they are, they're frustrating to the point you have to laugh at the ignorance that they believed the first thing they read without actually looking into it further.
    It's partly this, but I went ahead and bolded the part of what she said that bothers me the most.

Was I trolled by my grandma? I've felt speechless for hours.

Deleted
    for a split second then, when you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    I apologized for spilling food on her couch this morning, to which she responded "It'd be a shame if we had to throw it, your grandfather and I used to have great sex on it."
    Without realizing it I stopped walking, trying to understand if I had misheard her.
    "Hey, do you remember when you were just a young lil' boy who came over to me all the time because you wanted to hear me tell you stories about fairies, goblins and... trolls?"
    I had not quite scrolled down the screen and though you where going to make a joke regarding cakes, frosting and it not being frosting"

as for old people and the net, I have been trying with a little success to get my mother to start using the internet for something other than ebay and emails. Have shown her how Skype works, got her playing a few flash games and introduced her to iplayer on the BBC website as well as some cooking sites. She is amazed by it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggasson View Post
    What my parents have learned from the internet? Well all i know is that suddenly my father had a lot of playboy pdf in his hard drive... didnt look at him quiet the same for a few weeks..
    /Shiver, I know exactly what you're going through >.<. Makes me question if I was that sloppy at covering up my tracks, when I first started using the internet.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-12-24 at 06:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I nearly wizzed myself after reading the story... Kudos!

Honestly, I have not had the experience with this, as my grandparents that I have been nearer to were on computers quite early, especially my grandfather who actually typed up sermons on one beginning in ~1987.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Ohohohoho....

Skelington's father knows enough about the internet to fill his laptop with viruses. Skelington's mother: how to facespace and all that whatnot. His grandparents, while owning a computer/internet, know next to nothing about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    It's partly this, but I went ahead and bolded the part of what she said that bothers me the most.

Was I trolled by my grandma? I've felt speechless for hours.
    I have a feeling that you were indeed trolled. To say I'm surprised over that would be an understatement...

A friend of mine had a weird experience of his own. He works at a nursing home and one day he was walking down a hall and some old woman looked up at him, smiled and said "Honey Badger don't give a shit!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Bookmarked this page. This is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

A few years back my uncle talked my grandpa into getting a computer in his house (something my grandparents have NO need for). I went over to find my grandpa had managed to copy the internet explorer icon about 50 times on the desktop. My grandpa was scared to death his financial info would be stolen online even though he never put in his financial info to begin with. He finally ended up disconnecting the internet and the computer letting it set for years. I went over one time to use the all in one printer to run a copy to find out the ink had hardened in the cartridge from lack of use, and then for my grandpa to have me triple check i disconnected the printer, he didnt want it sending information out to the internet on him!

Then just yesterday, me having moved far away from my extended family, me and my cousin did face-time iPad to iPad. I got my grandpa on to say high, he thought ti was just a home video of me. The looks on his face when he found out he was talking to a live video feed of me.... priceless lol

My mother is turning 60 this year, and she has more level 85s than I do. As far as grandparents go, 3 of the 4 are dead, and the one left has no interest in computers. We tried once, he gave the thing away to the cleaning lady after letting it sit unused for a few weeks.