Will my husbands computer be able to run swtor?

Hello, my husband just bought swtor and found out it does not run on his lab-top. He has a desktop that is about 4-5 years old that had its hard drive go on it. He has decided just to upgrade that and wants to know if he adds a nice fast hard drive to the computer if it will run okay with what is currently in it. If not can you please let me know what he will need to get it to run nicely on it. Here are the specs

MotherBoard: Asus P5AD2 Premium
    Cpu: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon RX1550 TD256EH
    Ram: 4GB

He knows that the parts are old but they did work great for wow...thank you all ahead of time!

P.s. I made a mistake earlier with the motherboard and cpu. Sorry for all the answers to the wrong info.
    Last edited by Aicfan1993; 2011-12-24 at 09:22 PM.

How fast is that processor? because from what I have seen if you have a moderately fast processor you can get away with having a low-mid end video card. Like my 7 year old's lap top runs an i3 or i5 and he can run it barely with his laptop. This game from my experience with it is very processor heavy.

Not at any reasonable settings (anything above low at ~1024x768 or so). Socket 939 was over in 2006 at the latest. He needs an entirely new computer to actually enjoy the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not impossible but I'm guessing the fps would be pretty awful. Upgrading the storage medium will not improve performance at all.
    Best choice would be to buy or build a new system

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If it is the Athlon 64 X2 he will meet minimum requirements for the CPU, he meets requirements for RAM, and the video card meets minimum requirements. Just that that CPU needs to be a dual core.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

That site is a good way to tell you whether or not your current computer can run a certain game. It'll scan your system and tell you whether or not it''ll work and what upgrades are recommended.

It is a spammy site at best. It got a good amount of my hardware wrong, and links to a site that wants to rip you off to get driver updates.

I use that site a lot and it's only problem is that it sometimes does not recognize laptop graphics correctly. It will tell you that you need an upgrade but when you look at the box that lists the reqs versus what you have, you're fine and the game will play.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

I'm running SWTOR with Pentium Dual Core 2.5GHz @ 3 GHz, NVidia 9600GT and 4GB memory - the setup is more than 4 years old. All settings on medium (or low if there's no medium option to be set) and generally I have from 30 to 80 FPS (medium is 42 FPS). Funny thing is that Can I Run It site shows that I'm not able to run this game at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Aicfan1993 View Post
    Pentium 4 single-core? Ouch. You can probably run the game, but expecting it to be enjoyable is probably a losing proposition. Expect low details and low framerates, this game seems much more resource-heavy than WoW at high detail levels.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    It won't be very enjoyable running SWTOR.

If you're thinking of getting a new machine for him, what would your budget be? (and where do you live?)

Minimum CPU requirement, according to the canyourunit site:

Minimum: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better

They say it requires a dual core at least.

For graphics they say this:

Minimum: 256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better).
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics

I can "run" it but it won't be fun, i'd suggest an entire new system. The game isn't very resource heavy but that system just isn't up to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Minimum CPU requirement, according to the canyourunit site:

Minimum: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better

They say it requires a dual core at least.

For graphics they say this:

Minimum: 256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better).
    That's what any game company has been saying the past, what, 5 years? You can "run" it on these specs, not play it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aicfan1993 View Post
    Hello, my husband just bought swtor and found out it does not run on his lab-top. He has a desktop that is about 4-5 years old that had its hard drive go on it. He has decided just to upgrade that and wants to know if he adds a nice fast hard drive to the computer if it will run okay with what is currently in it. If not can you please let me know what he will need to get it to run nicely on it. Here are the specs

He knows that the parts are old but they did work great for wow...thank you all ahead of time!

P.s. I made a mistake earlier with the motherboard and cpu. Sorry for all the answers to the wrong info.
    If he wants to run swtor he needs to upgrade

To at least a dual core processor of 2.8 but the 4X3.4 are so cheap nowadays...

You'll also have to get a better video card wich can imply a new power supply...

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    That's what any game company has been saying the past, what, 5 years? You can "run" it on these specs, not play it.
    If you can run it , you can play it. I'm quite sure the game would be completely playable with those minimum specs. Canyourunit is actually pretty conservative and you can play most anything with slightly less than what they say is minimum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    If you can run it , you can play it. I'm quite sure the game would be completely playable with those minimum specs. Canyourunit is actually pretty conservative and you can play most anything with slightly less than what they say is minimum.
    Some people play WoW at 5 fps in raids and enjoy it. It's all subjective and down to the player.

Myself, I couldn't for the life of me ever ever play a game at sub 30 fps anymore, just because I'm used to higher framerates now.

I have a Phenom II X4 965, a GeForce FX 560Ti, and 8GB of RAM and even I have trouble getting over 20FPS in some areas, especially, for whatever reason, in warzones (running at 1920x1080). This is with a lot of settings turned down to medium or low. So yeah, good luck with that rig.