Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Why do people keep saying if it wasn't for star wars....

    this game wouldn't be successful? The star wars theme is the least interesting thing about swtor. I always wanted to play an mmo that focuses on its story above all else and swtor offers that. I dont care if it was set in china, mars, africa, or whatever, I would have still been interested in a story based mmo. That is something that I always wanted to experience in WoW because of all the lore but blizz was never able to pull it off outside of cutscenes and the books. Believe it or not I got really interested with the lore and the characters in WoW and wanted to know more. I mean if you have to read there books to learn more about what happens to there characters and the loose ends then there is something wrong. It is one of the reasons I left WoW because I got tired of spending $15 a month to kill another boss that i never heard of before for more epics. I didn't care about the mounts, pets or any of that useless crap I wanted story. I don't even see how you can even call WoW an rpg now that the story is pretty much non-existent in the actual game your paying for.

    AM I the only one that feels this way? I see all the time on the forums how many people hate all the story in swtor and that they just skip it and power level. That it doesn't "feel" like an mmo and more like a single player game. Well guess what, that is a good thing because it isn't an mmo. It is an mmorpg.

  2. #2
    It's a two edge sword. Because it's star wars I know a few people (including my wife) who love questing and story in games but simply won't try it BECAUSE it's star wars.

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral Galm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,191
    I grew up with Star Wars. Honestly, if it wasn't a Star Wars game, I wouldn't have even thought about trying it out, but quit playing MMOs for good.

    PS. Shouldn't this topic be on the SWTOR sub-forum?

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Stevegasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,055
    When WoW came out, I know a lot of people wanted to try it for one of two reasons:
    1. It was set in the Warcraft universe.
    2. It was a Blizzard game (Diablo, Starcraft).

    A name is a huge thing. Just check the sales charts of video games in general. The best sellers are well established names, which are not necessarily the best games released. Among the best sellers are typically licensed games based on recent movies and cartoons. If you need another example of the importance of a name, look no further than Valve and Blizzard, both making games using the DOTA name.

    There's a hell of a lot of people out there that want to wield a light saber, or pretend their Boba Fett. And if there is a good enough game that lets them do that you bet your ass they'll be all over it.

  5. #5
    I never liked Star Wars but I tried the beta and got me hooked. The interactive story is the reason I play it. Good job BioWare, once again!

  6. #6
    Because its somewhat true, (the game is excellent), but Bioware KNOWS that Star Wars will get a LOT of people in it, thats why they are paying for the name, and that they didn't just make a Mass Effect MMO of which would have no no loyalties, and an easier to expand story/

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I never liked Star Wars but I tried the beta and got me hooked. The interactive story is the reason I play it. Good job BioWare, once again!
    Kind of the point I was trying to make. Am not a huge star wars fan either. To be completely honest I only watched the newer movies and never had the desire to watch the old ones. And yet I still enjoy swtor.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazycab View Post
    this game wouldn't be successful? The star wars theme is the least interesting thing about swtor. I always wanted to play an mmo that focuses on its story above all else and swtor offers that. I dont care if it was set in china, mars, africa, or whatever, I would have still been interested in a story based mmo. That is something that I always wanted to experience in WoW because of all the lore but blizz was never able to pull it off outside of cutscenes and the books. Believe it or not I got really interested with the lore and the characters in WoW and wanted to know more. I mean if you have to read there books to learn more about what happens to there characters and the loose ends then there is something wrong. It is one of the reasons I left WoW because I got tired of spending $15 a month to kill another boss that i never heard of before for more epics. I didn't care about the mounts, pets or any of that useless crap I wanted story. I don't even see how you can even call WoW an rpg now that the story is pretty much non-existent in the actual game your paying for.

    AM I the only one that feels this way? I see all the time on the forums how many people hate all the story in swtor and that they just skip it and power level. That it doesn't "feel" like an mmo and more like a single player game. Well guess what, that is a good thing because it isn't an mmo. It is an mmorpg.

    If you dont like it anymore, why you are so hungry about it? if you dont want to pay why you talk about it ? its your own business and alot of people here dont care about you say. if you left, good bye have fun in your new world, leave this world for the people who still enjoy it!
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-24 at 09:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Ill be honest I wouldnt play it if it wasnt star wars, been burned on too many terrible MMOS. So far the questing in this one has been superb, but im not too impressed with the complete package, prob cause my comp doenst play it at max.

  10. #10
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    There will always be people that hate leveling and questing no matter how much it is refined. They simply do not like the whole leveling process. To each their own.

    I would much prefer that it was not Star Wars based. Not because I dislike it, but I think that the whole good/evil dynamic is too cliched. WoW did a good job of blurring the lines of which side were the "good" guys. You could argue that either alliance or horde were the better group of folks. In TOR there is no ambiguity. The Empire is evil and the Republic is good. I really do not see any valid arguments for the imperialists that operate under a "join us or die" as the good guys.

    The whole story feels just like Mass Effect with less moral ambiguity. The dark side choices are more extreme than renegade choices and the light side are a bit more goodie goodie than paragon, but other than that it is Mass Effect with SW factions and lightsabers. That is a good thing.

    The whole Star Wars thing just adds a lot more accessibility. I think they could have easily made a ME MMO, but it simply would not have the same mass appeal.

    Also, when you make an MMORPG you get fans of both MMOs and RPGs. Some people like one aspect more than the other. I love TOR's RPG qualities, but think it still needs some tweaking as far as the MMO part goes. Then again, I think I have a mild case of MMO burnout. The story is what is keeping me playing.

  11. #11
    Pit Lord HBpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newport Mesa, Ca
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Dokus View Post
    If you dont like it anymore, why you are so hungry about it? if you dont want to pay why you talk about it ? its your own business and alot of people here dont care about you say. if you left, good bye have fun in your new world, leave this world for the people who still enjoy it!
    Last time I checked he's posting in the TOR subforum....but at least you edited out the "Fucking QQ" part, so good job little man. It is absolutely amazing how many accounts with sub-100 postings are in the TOR subforums to flame/troll anyone and anything; its damn near every post.

    @OP: I'm not a Star Wars fan but I love some good story telling and I've actually enjoyed this game more than the movies so far. I'm glad that the rpg aspects are so heavy in the game as it would be a mindless grind without them (as is any MMO). One thing I love is there is a LOT to do while leveling and having to group up to complete almost any heroic mission makes the game more of an MMO than any of the others I've played.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I would much prefer that it was not Star Wars based. Not because I dislike it, but I think that the whole good/evil dynamic is too cliched. WoW did a good job of blurring the lines of which side were the "good" guys. You could argue that either alliance or horde were the better group of folks. In TOR there is no ambiguity. The Empire is evil and the Republic is good. I really do not see any valid arguments for the imperialists that operate under a "join us or die" as the good guys.
    SPOILERS: Uh...the Republic are not the good guys. Did you happen to do any of the side quests on Taris...or any of the starting quests on Corascant? They are greedy capitalists who were willing to watch their own people die so they could profit off a pharmacuetical. They're greedy and corrupt to the highest level. I find myself making more and more dark side choices simply because half the quests are asking me to cover something up for some bigwig (Corascant quests). The evils of the Republic are more subtle, but they are certainly there.
    Last edited by HBpapa; 2011-12-24 at 09:53 PM.
    Atheist, anti-theist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-gay rights, anti-war, anti-corporatism.

  12. #12
    Maybe their opinion differs from yours?

  13. #13
    I'm still think they'd have been better off with a Mass Effect MMO, but I guess when they started developing it they might not have had enough Mass Effect material to go with.

    It's hard to say if it would be more or less successful with different ideas, apparently they almost went with the "A song of Ice and Fire" IP instead of Star Wars which is still a pretty big IP, equally Bioware have a lot of pull by their own company name. It probably wouldn't be as successful I imagine but would still be a large successful launch.
    "Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence...When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

  14. #14
    Neither WoW nor ToR would be nearly as successful as they are if it wasn't for the established and very recogniseable franchises associated with them, in my humble opinion. If anything, it adds depth and immersion for those willing to embrace it.

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Stevegasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    -snip-
    SPOILERS: Uh...the Republic are not the good guys. Did you happen to do any of the side quests on Taris...or any of the starting quests on Corascant? They are greedy capitalists who were willing to watch their own people die so they could profit off a pharmacuetical. They're greedy and corrupt to the highest level. I find myself making more and more dark side choices simply because half the quests are asking me to cover something up for some bigwig (Corascant quests). The evils of the Republic are more subtle, but they are certainly there.
    I found all the light side choices to lean towards people turning themselves in and such. I have yet to play Empire, but from what I see (I'm at level 30 in the middle of the Tatooine part of the storyline) the Republic ideals are "good". But not everybody under the republic are good people, just like any faction.

    I'm still think they'd have been better off with a Mass Effect MMO, but I guess when they started developing it they might not have had enough Mass Effect material to go with.
    There is an interview on Gamesradar with the head writer of SWTOR and that is exactly why they decided to go with a licensed game. Said something about there being a lot of backstory to their universes, but Star Wars had so much story and lore to work from all ready made, they decided to use it.

  16. #16
    Mechagnome chaddd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    24 Hours of Lemons track
    Posts
    616
    I could care less that this is starwars. I like this game because it's a scifi game made by bioware.

  17. #17
    There is no way for me to even look at WoW as well if I wasn't such a huge War3 fan.. Heck.. I think I am a bigger Warcraft universe fan than Star War universe fan.

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    SPOILERS: Uh...the Republic are not the good guys. Did you happen to do any of the side quests on Taris...or any of the starting quests on Corascant? They are greedy capitalists who were willing to watch their own people die so they could profit off a pharmacuetical. They're greedy and corrupt to the highest level. I find myself making more and more dark side choices simply because half the quests are asking me to cover something up for some bigwig (Corascant quests). The evils of the Republic are more subtle, but they are certainly there.
    Ya, some of the choices did puzzle me. You get light points for exposing the truth in some cases, but then you will get dark points for not supporting the Senate. Very inconsistent. At times it just looks like they struggled with dark/light choices. I certainly hope they do not want you to support political bullshit for light and get dark for stirring the pot.

    I think some decisions like you mentioned were just backwards and I hope it was poor planning or unintentional. I for one do not consider blindly supporting any organization a positive.

  19. #19
    I have always been a huge Star Wars fan and thats a big reason I love this game. Also I don't know if anyone has brought it up yet but this isnt the 1st Star Wars game Bioware made, this game is a direct refrence to Knights Of The Old Republic 1 and 2 both were also Bioware RPG's

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Coro View Post
    It's a two edge sword. Because it's star wars I know a few people (including my wife) who love questing and story in games but simply won't try it BECAUSE it's star wars.


    This. Normally I am interested in trying MMO's out. I have tried most of them, the good ones (If there are truly any REALLY good one), and to failgames like Rift and Aion.

    But I just cant play this. I seriously wont pay for a Star Wars game. The movies are pretty great and all, but I cant play a game based on a movie. And the scifi doesnt really catch me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •