10m Heroic Yorsahj (Disc or Holy)

So, we have been on Heroic Yorsahj for about 20 attempts, with I would consider good progress, we've managed to get past every combination without deaths, just we don't execute every single time. I'm trying to figure out what would be best for this fight, disc or holy? We are running with a Prot pally as the tank, and I'm healing with a resto shaman. I feel holy is better for Purple and Disc is better for Yellow Red Black Green. Any suggestions?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holytravie View Post
    So, we have been on Heroic Yorsahj for about 20 attempts, with I would consider good progress, we've managed to get past every combination without deaths, just we don't execute every single time. I'm trying to figure out what would be best for this fight, disc or holy? We are running with a Prot pally as the tank, and I'm healing with a resto shaman. I feel holy is better for Purple and Disc is better for Yellow Red Black Green. Any suggestions?
    I like disc, simply because you can use your raid CD during purple without instantly wiping the group. Also, IMO disc performs better during purple because of divine aegis procs not counting for additional stacks. I've only downed the fight once, but tank heals got kind of rough with a non-dk tank so all in all disc just looks better for the fight.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that smite spec comes in handy, if you're having trouble getting slimes down or need the boost during red/yellow/black.
    Last edited by Taistee; 2011-12-24 at 10:29 PM.

I've been healing our attempts as both Holy and Disc, with a Resto Shaman. I feel that Holy is really strong for this fight atm since my guild is not used to it yet and we don't have any 4-set tanking bonuses to aid us. The Test of Faith talent is great in this fight, but so is the mitigation that Disc brings.

I really prefer healing it as Holy. Divine Hymn is great during Black+Red+Yellow. Our near-kill attempt (0.4% wipe nooo!!!) I was playing as Disc. Holy is definitely better for Purple, I agree. But I feel that with everyone dipping below 50% during the aforementioned combination (and most combinations), Holy is really strong when healing with a Resto Shaman.
    Ashleycakez ||<Barracuda> || Twitter || H2P Mod
    <Barracuda> is recruiting! Mythic raiding! Mature environment!
    T17: 16/17M | T18: 13/13M

Any more thoughts?

Deleted
    Disc. PWS is quite good for purple, prebubbling everyone before dmg is quite good.

There are many drawbacks to holy for this fight, mostly relating to the purple phase. Frequency of purple is such that I feel the need to be disc. Holy only gets to make use of sanc chakra now and again.

Deleted
    Disc errday. Atonement, barrier, divine aegis, rapture (bubble tank as mana is drained, get back 10k mana after oom, profit) and some other reasons im sure i forgot make disc 10x better.

Deleted
    Just leave the Attonement talent out and dps him on purple phases. The enrage timer is the only thing that matters after learning the tactic.

I play it as Disc, and although I'm sure it's absolutely doable as Holy, Disc is my personal preference on any fight where I can get away with it (So, that is, every fight), but on Yor'sahj I feel it is probably the better spec out of the two, personal preferences aside.

You have a lot of cooldowns to help, which is good, barrier is great for black+red+yellow+(purple), which is the phase my guild stacks cooldowns for, and pain supp is great to help out a tank if there's trouble during some of the trickier purple phases. And it just provides solid single target heals for purple, cycling Greater Heal is more than enough (and if you crit, the DA is nice too). Also pre-shielding the raid before purple is a great helper.

If you keep Atonement specced, keep in mind not to use it near / on the boss during or right before purple phases, Holy Fire DoT + atonement + purple = sorry guys, we wipe (Or at least, sorry guys, I blew up the raid). For our first kill on the boss in 10m, my smite DPS together with resto shaman lightning bolt was enough damage to finally kill the boss (About 10k dps between us), so that might be a worthy reason for Disc as well, if you can help dpsing on globules or the boss at appropriate times it can help secure a kill if your dps is really tight.

But like I said, I'm sure either spec works. I just feel Holy would be awkward since you can't really utilize all it's signature spells on the fight (Sanctuary), where as with Disc the only thing you can't/shouldn't use is Atonement on purple phases.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Deleted
    Cant find any info about Circle of Healing.
    Did anyone try to use CoH when purple ooze is active?
    How many stacks does it give?

Quote Originally Posted by Veranious View Post
    Cant find any info about Circle of Healing.
    Did anyone try to use CoH when purple ooze is active?
    How many stacks does it give?
    i dont play holy but i would assume that it adds 1 stack to every person who gets healed by it

Deleted
    I did it as disc, for the majority of attempts, and the kill. Since purple was still what was our problem (my co-healer struggled at first at the whole concept of the purple debuff initially (had a couple of wipes with him healing the tank on four stacks despite me repeatedly calling on vent not too (Don't get my started /mumble))). Though I did also re-jigger (it's a word, check it in the Becktionary) my spec around just for that fight, went into AA to get 5 stacks on the oozes and be able to pop it at the start of any phase, and 2/2 focused will, which actually made the word of difference during heavy damage phases. Barrier, pre shields, or pre aegis stacking, pennance in purple (1 stack, three grace stacks hai), rapture for the start of any phase with blue, if SF etc are on cd, and many other of the classes nichés for the encounter I'm probably not thinking of off the top of my head that I'm not mentioning. This is to no way discourage, or belittle holys use for the encounter, I just personally saw disc to be the better spec (that may be because of the way I play each spec, the guilds setup, or anything) for the encounter, though I personally see myself playing as disc for pretty much every DS encounter bar hagara (and still debating that!). Your playstyle, and comfort playing each spec, are also important to which spec you play. GL on the encounter!

About CoH - I believe it does add a stack during Purple. I personally refrained from using it and HW: Sanc when the boss had the Purple buff.

This post on the WoW forums has some great information on what spell applies a stack and what doesn't: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657444001

I've actually gone back to holy for this fight, since red green and yellow seem to cause bigger problems for my group than purple.

I killed the fight as disc, it seemed to work better for me. We laugh at the green yellow red black now, and really purple + red is the only thing that ever killed us, but after I was able to time everything (pre-shield before purple), it found to be a lot easier as disc.

Despite this, thanks for all the help!

Deleted
    as you can see, both specs are well possible. but you might consider switching your pala tank for a dk tank.
    our tank warri is switching to his undergeared blood dk every fight (he can neither really ply dk tank nor does he have appropriate gear for it)
    it just makes this fight SO much easier it almost equals an exploit xD

I'm still working on this fight as Disc. Thought about going Holy but couldn't justify it.

When you have purple up, so you only use GHeals? Or do you bubble as well?

Imo for Purple, pre-shield before the buff is gained and then Prayer of Mending (adds no stacks) and Prayer of Healing a set group. If you are in charge of the tank, I would rely on Greater Heal for him as needed.

We assign 1 healer to each group and themself, with everyone's free heals aimed at the tank (WoG, PoM, beacon). Everyone uses their large single target heals.
    Shaman: RT, GHW
    Pally: DL
    Priest: GH, Penance, PW:S
    Druid: HT, Swiftmend (with rejuvs spread before the phase).

One healer is designated to put supplemental healing on the tank. That person and that person only is allowed to ever heal the tank directly (while purple is up).

I found I could get myself into trouble using PoH, but if the whole group is taking damage too quickly sometimes there's no choice. Since I'm holy again for this fight, I spread renews on my group and activate serenity chakra before corruption. I never fire any casts that will overheal, so most of those renews expire before the corruption reset.

Personally I never cast Prayer of Healing on a purple phase. It just heals too little per person to be worth the stack. The fact of the matter is, in 10man at least, that the entire raid is not really in danger outside of zerg-healing-phases (Red, Black, Yellow). It's usually a more focused healing endeavour. And in that case, greater heal wins out by far - since if you PoH - all may look fine until suddenly someone takes a spike of damage (By say, Black adds focusing on the player) - and suddenly you're "capped" on Deep Corruption stacks - the player might be at 4 stacks because of your measly PoH casts, yet he/she is only at 25% health and needs a heal Right Now™, while 3-4 other players are perfectly fine / HP capped. When this happens - you'll be wishing you used Greater Heal instead. If it doesn't happen - well I'm happy for you, wish it freaking happened on my Yor' kills....

In short; Disc just has a lot going for it on this fight. It's not a better spec or whatever, it just, in my opinion, happens to have a good edge on this fight. The fight is all about out-lasting rather than out-healing (An example of out-healing shit would be ultraxion).
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.