Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Why Play Empire?

I am legitimately intrigued by how many people want to play for the Empire. The whole Darth Vader thing only goes so far.

The Empire are imperialists that have no regard for any other civilization's rights to exist in peace, or just simply left alone. They want the entire galaxy to kiss their rings. Why? Because only the strong and powerful are meant to be "free".

The Empire somehow have English roots. The accent really does tie the whole imperial thing together, I guess. It takes the whole smug attitude to another level.

Let us not forget the hate fueled motives. The Empire is fueled by hatred and intolerance. How is that an attractive setting for players?

There are also the macabre themes and imagery. I admit that I am not a horror movie guy, but I am all about that crazy stuff in my metal. When it is being satirized it makes it much easier to swallow. Talking about "frantic disembowelment" and actually doing it are totally different. Yes, it is just a game, I know.

I also realize that Republic is seen as goodie goodies, but when given the choice I would rather associate with them over sadistic imperialists. Is there some appeal to the Empire that I am just missing?
    I like sandwiches

Because people are so tired of being a good guy.. That's what every movie does, that's what every book does, that's what pretty much every fantasy RPG does. Hell.. that's what we are expect to be IRL. Not that there is wrong with it.. But sometimes you just want to see things a bit from another perspective.

Tbh, I like the lore of the Sith more than that of the Jedi.

Also, a question for you: Why play Republic?

A lot of people had heard from beta players that certain republic classes(Jedi) have horribly boring stories. Also Empire and being evil is more fun story wise.

Most people don't actually care all that much about the historic background
    Evil things just tend to look and sound cooler so people pick them
    That's about it

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    Because people are so tired of being a good guy.. That's what every movie does, that's what every book does, that's what pretty much every fantasy RPG does. Hell.. that's what we are expect to be IRL. Not that there is wrong with it.. But sometimes you just want to see things a bit from another perspective.
    This! Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm SOOO tired of playing the good guys in games, and following good guys in movies/books. Also, appearance means a lot to me in games. To be quite honest the bad guys always look cooler. Witch King in lord of the rings? Coolest character by far. Boba Fett? Not necessarily evil, but a total bad ass. Evil > Good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am playing sith because I wanted to play a sniper... Granted I am playing evil as all what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Also, a question for you: Why play Republic?
    Because I just can't support imperialism. That is the biggest reason. It is not that I think the Republic are all good and virtuous. I see no point in ever being the bad guy. Bad is bad. I am obviously a fan of anti-heroes, just look at my sig w/ the baddest anti-hero ever. Omar robbed and killed, but he did not steal from anyone that did not have it coming. Taking advantage of the weak is just despicable.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    To the topic, it is called a ROLE-PLAYING GAME for a reason, playing roles far away from your real persona is usually the most rewarding for me at least.

Also, I'm annoyed with people regard Republic totally do-goody. Granted, Jedis following their code are quite much at the "Good" end of the Good-Evil axis that you can possibly be, but an Smuggler can be something from a "Chaotic Good" swashbuckler to a selfish asshole. Republic Military (Troopers, also a lot of sidequests) are a whole different thing, if you actually follow the orders given you from higher up you will end to do ruthless, efficiency-maximizing Dark Side decisions all the time. Usually at the cost of civilians human rights/less-important troops/environment. Myself I'm playing a Dark Side Trooper and enjoying it a lot.

Deleted
    It's not as simple a case as one faction being the good guys and the other the bad guys. It's all subjective and real world morality does not always apply to events within a different setting. Personally, I intend to dabble in both the Empire and the Rpublic. Each has a certain charm and I'm a real fan of morally grey characters. Heck, when you get right down to it a character who always does what is right no matter what can quite easily be worse than an outright bad guy due to the sort of decisions they make.

This is why I went empire. The IA story is amazing.

And yeah, overall the empire is evil and morally wrong by our standards. But hey, that makes a better story, to either try to fix it, or live in it. Something different from what we have in most other stories.

Deleted
    Bounty Hunters punch with the force of rockets, Troopers shuffle a bit with their gun.

This is pretty much what I based my decision on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only the strong are meant to be free isn't really bad if your one of the strong.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find the republic a bit boring there is little interest in me for the standard good guy approach. I play an Imperial operative and I could not be happier with my choice, the IA story is great and the class is very interesting to play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    This! Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm SOOO tired of playing the good guys in games, and following good guys in movies/books. Also, appearance means a lot to me in games. To be quite honest the bad guys always look cooler. Witch King in lord of the rings? Coolest character by far. Boba Fett? Not necessarily evil, but a total bad ass. Evil > Good.
    Why do the Fetts always die like bitches? I always thought the Fetts were so badass, yet Lucas always treats them like 3rd rate characters.

OT: siths > jedi? who doesn't wanna choke people out with their mind?

Like others have said, it has become boring, being the goody goody all of the time. Since I am playing completely darkside, I have to make choices that truly make me feel conflicted. It makes the story fun to me, instead of same ole same.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Because I just can't support imperialism. That is the biggest reason. It is not that I think the Republic are all good and virtuous. I see no point in ever being the bad guy. Bad is bad. I am obviously a fan of anti-heroes, just look at my sig w/ the baddest anti-hero ever. Omar robbed and killed, but he did not steal from anyone that did not have it coming. Taking advantage of the weak is just despicable.
    It is a game, I play specifically for escapism to play or do something I cant do in real life. playing a nice character just has no appeal to alot of people and I get why.

Because being evil is so much fun! My favorite quote so far is killing someone after saying to them "You're not dying fast enough!"

Why be Jedi? You get to have no fun! You are expected to follow the Jedi code and not do anything for your own enjoyment, no starting fights, no ladies, no unneeded killing. So boring.

Deleted
    I think one of the biggest appeals is because it's not the same as playing the good guys always trying to save the world :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Why do the Fetts always die like bitches? I always thought the Fetts were so badass, yet Lucas always treats them like 3rd rate characters.
    I'd say the reverse, why do the Fetts always have such a reputation to be so badass?

Boba Fett does shit all in the movie.
    He tracks the Millennium Falcon to Bespin and then just calls Darth Vader in while he sits with his thumbs up his armored ass. The rest of the time, he just stands around with his arms crossed, trying to look badass. When the time comes for him to finally throw down, he rocket-jumps over to Jaba's skiff and immediately gets his gun chopped in half by Luke Skywalker. Sure, he ties Luke up and delays him for a second, but that only lasts until Han Solo accidentally smashes into his jetpack with a pole and sends him tumbling into a man-eating sand vagina. He is killed because someone whacks him with a stick by accident.

What about that makes you think he's incredible?

http://www.cracked.com/article_18851...#ixzz1hUphrFwr