Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question PCI vs USB wireless adapter

I build a new computer and I would like to know whats better for gaming USB or PCI?

and what brand might be a good one? and what kind of specs should i be looking at?

I have a Netgear wireless router in my house.

No, I can't use ethernet cable.

Thank you
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Deleted
    PCI anytime. However, can you please tell us how far the router is from your PC and how the electricity is laid out in your home?
    WiFi has terrible latency for gaming, you could invest in a thing called PowerLAN, they don't cost that much anymore nowadays.

What these things do is you hook one up next to your router in a power socket and plug the lan cable from your router in there.

Then you go to the room with your PC in it and hook the other unit into a power socket, and then run a cable from the unit to the PC.

It's basicly just internet through your elektricity. However, speed of this can vary as it's important the two units are not on completely different power circuits and the circuit is not really far in the house.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My wireless router is downstairs and my room is upstairs.

I have been using wifi since vanilla WoW and never had any problems. Although Power LAN sounds interesting!

Deleted
    It certainly is. My router is downstairs and I'm 2 stories above that, on a completely different power circuit, and it still pulls 35Mbit/sec out of the 45Mbit/sec connection my parents pay for. Latency is always spot on, and way better than wireless this high (14ms on PowerLAN >< 150ms on WiFi)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If i get a powerlan, would it harm any of the other computers on the home network connection? Will they be able to connect wirelessly to the router without any problems?

---------- Post added 2011-12-25 at 05:39 PM ----------

Also how much do they cos,t and can you link any?

Thanks!

Deleted
    Your other computers in the house will still be able to wirelessly connect to the router if they so desire.
    Here's a link to Newegg, I'm not familiar with the site, as I live in Belgium .
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704077

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the link!

But if i were to go with something a little more affordable, which would be PCI, should it be PCI Express or just PCI? My motherboard has both.

Deleted
    For the WiFi card you mean? Either will do really, but I guess faster is better so if you have a free PCIe slot waiting, go for that.

Either one works, I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166051 and it works well.

Go for the PCI card. USB is very unstable when it comes to using it for an internet connection.

I would go with the usb. I use the Netgear router, with the Netgear 3100 V 2, I have used it for a year, never had any of the aforementioned problems.. I also used an older Netgear for a couple years with no problems. No lag issues whatsoever.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about Dual Band should i worry about that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenimal View Post
    I would go with the usb. I use the Netgear router, with the Netgear 3100 V 2, I have used it for a year, never had any of the aforementioned problems.. I also used an older Netgear for a couple years with no problems. No lag issues whatsoever.
    I'd rather have a nice built in WiFi card with a nice antenna on it to provide it with some decent range than having a USB stick out of my computer with mediocre range at best, not to mention the poor connection speeds.

EDIT: Yes, most internet connections can be capped with a USB wifi dongle, but he's talking about a home network aswell, which can make use of the full throughput of his router rather than just his internet connection.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!

Deleted
    I use a USB adaptor. My PC is in the room above the router.

I've been like this for years, and along with leatrix latency fix, i never go above 30ms in games. So i don't really have any complaints.

Both are fine and both are super cheap. That being said, USB adapters are more convenient for the lazy people like me. Plug it in and you're literally good to go. haha. Unless your router isn't set up, but even then it only takes a few minutes to set up.

10+ Year Old Account
    used usb adapters my entire wireless lifetime and never had any problem, i run 60ms ingame, i hit full download speeds for my internet (8mb), so unless your internet is one of these amazing speeds foreign (not england) countries get, roll a dice and pick whichever

10+ Year Old Account
    i actually have a wireless n usb adaptor i paid like 50 dollars for and i use it to DL movies and such and its blazing fast all the time and never drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually... I wouldn't use PCI-e, because the wireless signal will not be as good as with a USB which is far more important than transmission speed over the cable, as you can position the USB receiver a good deal away from any other metallic interference (your PC tower and monitor for example)

That is why they come with external antennas. Far better signal than USB.