Coolermaster HaF X
    I7 2600k
    Asus gene-z Mother board
    8gb corsair vengence 1600
    Evga gtx 560ti
    1000w coolermaster Silent pro PSU
    120gb OCZ SSD
    Asus 24x DVD

All the fans work, everything turns on. But my CPU goes all the way up to 84 degrees and randomly shuts off. Do I need an additional CPU fan or more thermal paste?

10+ Year Old Account
    Using the stock cooler that came with the I7 2600k? If so that aint known for being great but should dp the trick without overclocking.

Since it comes with the thermal paste on it I can only guess u havent mounted it correctly.

You listed the case, but you didn't mention what heatsink you're using. Also, what thermal paste did you end up using?

If you're good on the heatsink and thermal paste, it may just be seated poorly.

If it is turning off you are hitting the limit that will cause damage. Don't do that. Clean and reseat the heatsink with real thermal compound.

Sounds like the cpu isnt seated properly, or you didnt put enough thermal paste. I had a problem similar to this where the heatsink had come loose and one side was just sorta hanging there.

Guess I'll pickup some thermal paste and try reseating. Yes I'm using the stock cooler That came with the i7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidz View Post
    Guess I'll pickup some thermal paste and try reseating. Yes I'm using the stock cooler That came with the i7
    While u messed up the 1st time it might be the perfect moment to get a proper aftermarket cooler on that baby since u got a 2600k which is ment to beoverclocked anyway.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus (cheap as fuck does the job well) or a bit more expensive Noctua NH-D14 would be fine.
    Last edited by Lockmybllz; 2011-12-25 at 07:47 PM. Reason: xmas booze is fucked up for spelling

Sounds like the heatsink is not properly attached or popped loose.

Try first looking behind the motherboard (through the hole in the case) to see if all the plastic tabs of the CPU heatsink look the same (two clear pieces and small black rod in the middle). If you see one or more of the corners loose, turn to unlock that corner and push it back in to lock it better. That should fix it without making any purchases.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Likely your heatsink isn't seated right. Id reapply the thermal paste to the cpu and reseate. I had a similiar (but not as extreme) issue when I reseated my heatsink after a cleaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    You bought a unlocked CPU but you didn't get a cooler..

/facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Quote Originally Posted by haxs101 View Post
    You bought a unlocked CPU but you didn't get a cooler..

/facepalm
    Meaning it should be unable to be used without buying a cooler?

Deleted
    Just as a minor note: Make sure not to use too much thermal paste, it'll just give the opposite effect if you take too much of it. Just in case you didn't know (because of "Do I need an additional CPU fan or more thermal paste?"). GL!

The case in itself should provide plenty of airflow

Meaning it should be unable to be used without buying a cooler?
    Think he meant, it's an unlocked CPU meaning you can overclock it, but you didn't get an aftermarket heatsink for it, it doesn't "need" one but if you want to overclock it then it will.

Stock Intel 1155 heatsinks suck massive balls. They're notorious for popping in and out while seating them. Make sure after the pins are popped into the motherboard, that you turn them according to the arrows on top until they're firmly in position and don't easily jiggle around anymore.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I was about to bash in and say "Did you apply the thermal paste", because that's what I forgot on a 2600k build I did, but that thing ran 60°C in BIOS, metal to metal, so that wouldn't make sense.

As others have stated, your cooler is probably way too loose and as a result cools second to nothing of your chip.

Yeah I don't think I should really have to add more fans if I'm not over clocking, airflow in the HaF
    X should be fine. I don't do alot of PC gaming, just mmos and exclusives but this is also my main home computer

Problem fixed. The heat sink fan wasn't on correctly. Runs now around 35 degrees idle and 55 during wow. But with bf3, the CPU skyrockets to 90+. Guess getting a cool master 212 sink will do the trick

Problem fixed. The heat sink fan wasn't on correctly. Runs now around 35 degrees idle and 55 during wow. But with bf3, the CPU skyrockets to 90+. Guess getting a cool master 212 sink will do the trick
    Sounds like the cooler is still not attached right, or the original thermal paste has clumped to one side when you used it partially attached before and it's not getting even contact.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.