Thread: Hype

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I rolled a warrior in wow...because I'd always played warrior kind of chars first in games. I later got badgered into tanking, which I didn't enjoy too much. This was mainly because I didn't read too much about the game. I'd play all Blizz's games before, and many other RPG games, so just assumed I'd know what I was doing tbh.

This time...I'm getting much more info on lore as I can while skipping some of the more intricate and detailed info that I want to discover through playing. I've watched quite a few vids...but skipped many where it's a cam of someone just playing for 20 mins...asides from Mr Totalbiscuit anyway, coz he rules.
    The vids of the cities are awesome, for example. Plus the prof ability ones.
    Also, I recommend reading both the books. Great source of lore and general world feeling. I think you come to understand profs quite well from Logan and the gang. As well as loads of other stuff.

Anyway...I have a question that maybe someone can answer. Many people have brought it up here so might as well...about the beta. Has Anet said whether any char we make in a beta could be transferred to the game proper later? If we can't, not sure if I'll apply for it.

Ta.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2011-12-30 at 06:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @SquirrelBanes
    Has Anet said whether any char we make in a beta could be transferred to the game proper later?
    This has actually been discussed on GW2G in full length. It's pretty much 50/50 on people wanting to keep beta characters and people not wanting it. ANet hasn't said anything about it though. I'm strongly against it, seeing as beta is for testing, and players shouldn't be rewarded for community service. I've volunteered at homeless shelters and never got a dime for doing it. That's ok though, because the point of beta testing is to help make the game better, not get something in return. Well...you DO get a good game in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    @SquirrelBanes

This has actually been discussed on GW2G in full length. It's pretty much 50/50 on people wanting to keep beta characters and people not wanting it. ANet hasn't said anything about it though. I'm strongly against it, seeing as beta is for testing, and players shouldn't be rewarded for community service. I've volunteered at homeless shelters and never got a dime for doing it. That's ok though, because the point of beta testing is to help make the game better, not get something in return. Well...you DO get a good game in return.
    I think the people who do want is should get it, but reset to level 1. And the people who don't won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I rolled a warrior in wow...because I'd always played warrior kind of chars first in games. I later got badgered into tanking, which I didn't enjoy too much. This was mainly because I didn't read too much about the game. I'd play all Blizz's games before, and many other RPG games, so just assumed I'd know what I was doing tbh.

This time...I'm getting much more info on lore as I can while skipping some of the more intricate and detailed info that I want to discover through playing. I've watched quite a few vids...but skipped many where it's a cam of someone just playing for 20 mins...asides from Mr Totalbiscuit anyway, coz he rules.
    The vids of the cities are awesome, for example. Plus the prof ability ones.
    Also, I recommend reading both the books. Great source of lore and general world feeling. I think you come to understand profs quite well from Logan and the gang. As well as loads of other stuff.

Anyway...I have a question that maybe someone can answer. Many people have brought it up here so might as well...about the beta. Has Anet said whether any char we make in a beta could be transferred to the game proper later? If we can't, not sure if I'll apply for it.

Ta.
    I highly doubt it, it's a bad practice that some of the smaller F2P MMO's use to keep their players around (because they are basically "launched" when they hit late closed beta or open beta). It's bad the for the game overall which is why you don't see it in any of the larger games.

And that's more of the "I should be rewarded for beta testing" mentality (not saying you have it, but that's where the idea comes from). Players and developers have been treating beta as a reward for players and a contest when in reality, it's not really that fun. It's hard work to properly test a game and you're not really playing for your own enjoyment, but to provide feedback on the feel of the game and discover/report bugs.

Deleted
    I don't know what to think about keeping beta characters if they would do it that way.
    I guess I'm kinda against it, but it could relief some (not much, if any at all) stress on the servers on the launch day when some people are already on other zones.
    We already can reserve names so I dunno.

And name reserving is something I'm not sure about. Sure it's nice and all but how does it work?
    Every character name from GW1 is already reserved (from those accounts which have accessed HoM ofc)?
    This could mean some problems when those who aren't familiar with this system start to make characters and notice that almost every name with 2-3 words are already taken. Sure I may overestimate the amount of people who have accessed HoM but still, guess we'll have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I think the people who do want is should get it, but reset to level 1. And the people who don't won't.
    That's what we call a name reserve, which you can get by playing GW1.
    Any character you've created in GW1 will have its' name reserved for GW2. However, I'm fairly certain name reserves through GW2 OB will not be happening if they've already made name reserves for GW1 over to GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That's what we call a name reserve, which you can get by playing GW1.
    Any character you've created in GW1 will have its' name reserved for GW2. However, I'm fairly certain name reserves through GW2 OB will not be happening if they've already made name reserves for GW1 over to GW2.
    Is it really? I didn't say anything about name reserving. It's the same character but then reset to level 1. So people won't have to recreate the same character, didn't mentioned name reserving at all and it's not my intention.

I think I expressed myself badly there...

It's not about wasting time or anyting...but I invest a lot of emotion and thought in creating the "perfect" toon to fit a particular set of circumstances I develop in me ol' head 'n soul. I'm quite a RPer at heart...and I make quite a connection with my toons.
    If I play the beta...I will do the same thing...and it will just be hard for me to then lose that toon. Bless....I know...

I'm all for helping in any way I can to make the game better Would love to. For that reason, maybe I could make a toon I don't care about so much and test for them. That would be awesome in itself

Thanks for answering the question on whether anything official had been said