Thread: Game shuts down

Game shuts down

Im hoping someone can help me or answer this frustrating question i have. I bought Swtor and was all excited to play it. Well when i got everything downloaded and installed, i went to play and it would just black screen on me. I tested my graphics card, Radeon HD 3200, on a website and it said i would not be able to play this game with it so i just gave up. Well a friend told me it might work if i update my graphics driver. Well after updating the driver i was able to watch the opening cinematic. But immediately after watching the cinematic, the game just shuts off. Could someone tell me if i just need to go ahead and buy a new graphics card or is there something else i can do? Thanks in advance for any help.

I would advise upgrading your card, if not to fix this bug you will definitely enjoy the game a lot more if you don't get FPS lagfests.

Well I was looking at dell's website and thought about getting a Radeon HD 4650 1GB card. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=0&~ck=baynote. It looks like it would do the job and work fine. Sorry can't post links
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-12-26 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Simca Edit: Fixed link!

15+ Year Old Account
    Any system sporting a Radeon 3200 is probably not great in the CPU department either. Probably a Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon/Phenom processor.

Upgrading the graphics card will likely allow the game to run but probably won't eliminate "FPS lagfests" during CPU-heavy sections of the game.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

well my cpu is Phenom 9750 Quad-Core

10+ Year Old Account
    it really just depends on how much you got to spend.

my brother couldn't run it either, he had a packerd bell computer of roughly 2 years old. when he installed he was lagging badly. he took is specs to a computer store and they couldnt believe it was actually allowed to still sell this rubbish.

they upgraded everything apart from is HDD, new case, new motherboard, new graphics and sound card for about 600 euro's (720ish USD). i put it together for him, even though i had never build a PC before. i was afraid i'd mess it up since im not a computer genious. lucky knowing software and building a PC are 2 totally different things, especially if you let a specialized store put together compatible items.

his rig now runs it at roughly 100 fps all graphics on high for 600 euro's! it runs smooth as hell. if i wasn't such a laptop junkie i'd get a similair rig tbh.

if you got some leftover cash i strongly advise you to take your specs to a computer store and get atleast a RAM and graphics card update. it will help loads.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charnel View Post
    well my cpu is Phenom 9750 Quad-Core
    Yeah, that processor would probably not do too well in 25-man settings in WoW, but part of that is because WoW doesn't multi-thread well at all. SWTOR may actually use your processor better than WoW, so it may not actually be that bad.

As for a video card, if you're looking for a cheap/quick upgrade to run SWTOR on, I'd go with something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150540

That 4650 from Dell is quite a bit overpriced, especially for a lower model two generations behind (6xxx series vs 4xxx series). After the mail-in rebate on the Radeon 6770, it is actually $10 cheaper. Additionally, it should perform -substantially- better (http://www.hwcompare.com/5734/radeon...n-hd-6770-1gb/ for a quick and dirty comparison).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Thanks Simca. That 6770 is probably what i'll end up going with. It looks like it'll definitely perform alot better than the 4650 and be a huge upgrade from my current 3200.
    Also thanks everyone for your time and replies.
    Last edited by Charnel; 2011-12-26 at 09:49 AM.