Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Lack of interesting playable species

Fantastic game reminds me of my KOTOR days HOWEVER one gripe I have is lack of visual variety in the playable species...I mean 5/8 of the species share the exact model of the human all simply with different skin colours. I mean out of all the Star Wars aliens i'm sure we could've had more variety visually...Hopefully future expansions will add more colourful playable species such as Rodians, Trandoshans, Sullustan, etc

Opinions?

I agree fully, I play Horde in WoW because I find playing as a human boring. Something that was humanoid but didn't look like a human would of been great.

I have no doubt they'll add more playable races in the future

They will probably add a lot more over time, keep in mind the game has only been out a week...

Also keep in mind that they specifically said they wanted to stick with near humans and human speaking species...for good reasons.

Deleted
    Yes, the lack of real diversity is disturbing.

I can't really think of a reason why Bioware chose to stick with such boring options. Maybe in future expansions...

They're saving it for the forthcoming unpopular expansion pack, Mists of Gungaria...

I still think they should have done a Mass Effect MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't want to read subtitles for everything my character said. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to add races with the crurret system though, so long as they can find a voice actor to go over all the lines for that class.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

I can't really think of a reason why Bioware chose to stick with such boring options. Maybe in future expansions...
    Really? Can't think of a reason at all?

How about many of the races in Star Wars being able to only understand, but not speak, Basic? The whole game is fully voiced, and playing a character that speaks in unintelligible and, by necessity, repeated/recycled gobbledegook is not going to be fun. Sure, sure, you can spam the space bar but that defeats the entire point. I know there are many they could add (Kel Dor would be high on my list, but they'd need new dialogue due to the vocal distortions caused by their masks), but it's pretty clear why they didn't and I don't see why anyone with basic knowledge of Star Wars doesn't understand their reasoning. If the game wasn't fully voiced, I think there'd be a lot more base for the complaints.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

Its easy to understand why.

All races share the same skeletons so making anims for all were just copy paste, that said I think a expansion will bring more, but not before a expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzbert View Post
    Really? Can't think of a reason at all?

How about many of the races in Star Wars being able to only understand, but not speak, Basic? The whole game is fully voiced, and playing a character that speaks in unintelligible and, by necessity, repeated/recycled gobbledegook is not going to be fun. Sure, sure, you can spam the space bar but that defeats the entire point. I know there are many they could add (Kel Dor would be high on my list, but they'd need new dialogue due to the vocal distortions caused by their masks), but it's pretty clear why they didn't and I don't see why anyone with basic knowledge of Star Wars doesn't understand their reasoning. If the game wasn't fully voiced, I think there'd be a lot more base for the complaints.

Just my thoughts, anyway.
    Why can't I play an alien that speaks english? Infact all the playable races speak english despite not being human. I don't understand your logic.

Deleted
    Screw the voiceover...just remove it.

We NEED Rodian and Trandoshan Jedis....!!

Deleted
    I was honestly hoping to be able to play Trandoshian :X I do think it's only a matter of time.

a playable hutt will open tons of possibilities!

If the character creation was a little more in depth I don't think this would be as much of an issue.

The game just release, why is everyone so aggressive with what has been released. If Bioware added another 4 playable races for launch most people would still complain about a lack of playable races. They will release more races, and by doing what they have done now it leaves the options open for FUTURE feature releases instead of shooting themselves in the foot right off the bat. Why not set the level cap to 85 right away, or release with 40 planets to play, or release with 20 end game operations to play, or...

This is a marathon, if this MMO is gonna survive this is how it has to proceed. Bioware is doing it right. As long as they fix some bugs along the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Why can't I play an alien that speaks english? Infact all the playable races speak english despite not being human. I don't understand your logic.
    It's called Galactic Basic. Not English. And while a majority of sentient species can understand and sometimes even learn to speak it, some of the less "Human" species don't or refuse speak it. Wookiees for example can understand Basic but lack the ability to speak it. Some people wouldn't mind it.

Also, most "intelligent" species that are in SW are pretty much "humans with color" any way.

Selkath? Humanoid Fish.
    Trandoshans? Humanoid Lizards.
    Cathar? Humanoid Cats.

So a lot of these arguments are pretty weak to begin with. I really would love to make a Cathar though...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

I really hate seeing "Maybe in a future expansion" nowadays >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    You can play an alien that speaks English. I don't understand your point. :/

What I'm saying that a lot of the fan favourite races like Wookies, Ithorians etc are unable to speak Basic, though they can understand it. These are two completely different things. Many of the more "exotic" and "alien" races have this problem when considered for a playable race in a fully voiced MMO. No one is going to want to listen to recycled, nonsensical rubbish for the hundreds of hours of gameplay that are in The Old Republic. There are, as I mentioned, many races that are somewhat more exotic and still able to speak Basic, such as the Kel Dor. The issue I see with them is the lack of customization, as you'll only be able to choose from different breathing masks and a reduced number of head shapes compared to the other races. However, since some Mirialan customizations completely hide over half of the character's face, this may be accepted quite happily by the player base.

I'm not entirely sure if you read my entire post or not, because you didn't seem to understand what I said. The races we've been given in The Old Republic at launch are the main humanoid species that are able to speak Basic whilst having the most customization options. That's all there is to it, really. Kel Dor are the main other option I can think of (a personal favourite of mine, as I said before), and I highlighted a couple of issues they have too.
    Last edited by Fitzbert; 2011-12-26 at 06:56 PM.

I'm sure they could handwave some kind of translating device (but they are rare so not everyone has them)
    I too am pretty disappointed that almost every race is human with a weird head or skin colour, it's pretty much just down to laziness on their part

Disagree with it being down to laziness.

Please list other humanoid (or non humanoid) Basic-speaking races that could have been available instead/in addition.