Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Graphics Card Upgrade

Here's the deal:

I just got a new computer for Xmas, and my graphics card is less than stellar.

I've got an ATI Radeon 4200 HD, and for gaming, it's horrible. I'm getting 8-18 FPS instead of my old 40-60.

I was going to take the old video card and throw it in my new computer, but I'm gifting my old computer to my g/f.

What I need is to know what graphics cards will work with what I have, and what would be the best to upgrade with. I would buy the card and either install it myself or have a computer tech install it. I'd like to keep it as an ATI so that I don't have to wipe my computer or do anything with drivers.

As I said, it's an ATI Radeon 4200 HD graphics card. The motherboard is a FOXCONN 2AB1 Motherboard. I opened up the computer and it says that my power supply is only 200W.

Can anyone provide some insight?

Edit: This is the link to my exact computer if it helps http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...3-5117433.html
    Last edited by MartyrPayens; 2011-12-27 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Link

What CPU is it? Is it a branded PC? HP/Dell etc. I ask about branding because of your first issue, which is a 200w PSU. HP/Dell etc can use some f'd up form factors for their psu's. 200w wont power much of a GPU, which leads to 2nd issue, is you PC cpu bottlenecked as well. Please post the brand and model of your PC so folks can better direct you.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ld420 View Post
    What CPU is it? Is it a branded PC? HP/Dell etc. I ask about branding because of your first issue, which is a 200w PSU. HP/Dell etc can use some f'd up form factors for their psu's. 200w wont power much of a GPU, which leads to 2nd issue, is you PC cpu bottlenecked as well. Please post the brand and model of your PC so folks can better direct you.
    Sorry about that. I posted a link to the computer at the bottom of my first post. Hopefully that'll help. I dunno how to figure out if it's bottlenecked, and I'm hoping I don't have to get a new power supply as well as a new graphics card. ><

Deleted
    i got a ati hd 6770 for xmas and there pretty badass card and use low power compared to a high end and there fairly cheap about £70- £90

Deleted
    I wouldn't suggest getting a high end card as that will be a bottlenecked by the cpu and be a waste of money. I would suggest going for a 6000 series ATI card and also a new PSU of at least 450watt.

Deleted
    a 200w PSU in your machine never thought they went that low i suggest getting 400-550w PSU and a 6770 there great and pretty cheap now