Thread: Job Troubles

Job Troubles

I have been sick the past 2 days, and today tried to call into work. My manager said to text everyone etc, so I did and no one answered... as expected. I called back, and told him no one was answering and he said he would handle it but to bring a doctor's excuse. Being a poor college student, I can't afford to go spend 70 dollars on sick visit at the doctor's office just for some stupid excuse. Suggestions? This is pretty irreversible so I can't just go in sick, I'll get written up, most likely, if I don't bring one either.

Don't know what to tell you, man. I usually go into work even if I almost can't walk.

I recently visited the doctor with back and leg pain. Upon doing a few tests, he arrived to the conclusion that I could have a ruptured disc in my lower back. He threw two prescriptions of Carisoprodol(Soma) and Hydrocodone(Lortab), and told me to see him in about a week. Well, we had to fire a person because we knew that she was stealing, but we were unable to catch her in the act. Guess who got to cover her hours on top of their own? I already have around 40 hours a week due to being a higher ranking manager, but covering her hours put me at around 50-55. I did that with excruciating back pain, medicated like hell, and a general sense of "fuck all." Oh, not to mention that medication had side-effects that were causing me to vomit several times a day, and even triggered severe asthma attacks. I was like 14 when I last had one of those.

If anything, you need to go to work. If they see you are sick enough, they'll just send you home. I've sent plenty of people home that were obviously sick, and didn't think any less of them.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Yah nice advice, I generally never call in either- first time actually. Unfortunately, the deed is done and I shouldnt show up for work... so now it is just what to do. I wouldnt be so quick to call in if I wasnt a waiter, and could talk. We've had customers request a different server just because they've seemed sick before.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbproz View Post
    Yah nice advice, I generally never call in either- first time actually. Unfortunately, the deed is done and I shouldnt show up for work... so now it is just what to do. I wouldnt be so quick to call in if I wasnt a waiter, and could talk. We've had customers request a different server just because they've seemed sick before.
    The best little piece of advice I can give you is: "You're only as sick as you think you feel."

Take some medication, go to work, and don't think about it. Personally, I don't take medication much of the time because it makes me seem too reliant on something else other than myself. My job requires me to think fast, act fast, and command a group of people in an orderly fashion. I don't have time to sulk around in my own filth and moan about how bad I feel. It's one of the few perks about my job. If your boss wonders why you are there, tell him that you didn't want him to have shift problems just because you were feeling a little sick. Hell, it's one of the reasons I got promoted. It takes a lot to knock me on my ass, but I get over it and go to work anyways.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

If it's 2 days or more, you bring a doctors note. If you are away from the job 2+ days, it better be something serious. Something serious means that you will go and see a doctor anyway.

Also : Dont go to work sick. It just makes all the other employees sick too. Do it properly, wait till you recovered. And get a doctors note.
    Ecce homo ergo elk