Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Nooo, sloicing has been nerfed.
    I've been waiting for this to happen, really, so I spent as much time Slicing as I could to capitalize on it before the inevitable. It worked out quite well in the end and now that it has been nerfed, I might drop it and take up an actual crafting profession.

My guild master is going to be mad at me though. I told him how much money you can make off Slicing last night and he dumped 400 Scavenging for it because he was jelly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post
    more then likely you will still make credits from slicing, just wont be as much. and honestly, it seriously needed the nerf.
    Will be good to see how useless it will be after we're able to log in again today. If it doesn't make a decent profit anymore they might as well remove it, everyone will drop it anyway.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Slicing will still be profitable though, you just have to look at it from a different perspective than sitting in the Fleet making credits. Think of all the boxes you come across while questing or just wandering around. On top of that, you can pick up some nice schematics or mission quests.

The way Slicing will be profitable will go like this:

Slice a box
    Box has a mission quest
    Mission quest succeeds
    Sell mission quest items

That's how I've been padding my credit earnings. I slice boxes and get treasure hunting missions which contains a lot of nice stuff. For example, I ended up getting a level 50 BH healing helmet, artifact quality, and sold it for 20k credits, keep the rest of the gems for future Artifice potential and a bunch of level 50 relics which I pass off for 5k each.

All that started from slicing one box and this happens all the time. Usually in the course of a day, I do 5 - 10 treasure hunting mission quests that I find (or fund through boxes I come across) and I've pretty much guaranteed myself as never being low on credits for a very, very long time.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2011-12-27 at 04:33 PM.

Never send a companion out on a slicing mission with a Moderate yield. That way, I have always made a profit on the boxes. I've also farmed up a bunch of affection with most of my companions (2 are >6000, 2 are >3000), dunno if that has helped but I have heard that it does.

Of course, this was all before today's nerf.

Deleted
    I'm curious to hear how good it is after the nerf.

Frankly, I don't see the point in Slicing even being a profession. It doesn't seem to add anything to the game except for free credits.

Why not just tap it onto Diplomacy or some other underwhelming profession?

Deleted
    I stopped slicing myself after getting a bit bored with it at 30 - money doesn't seem to be all that important in the game...I imagine it'll play a bigger part when (if) the economy gets going six months from now. We've all got it easy for the now.

Think I'll take up Biochemistry. No idea why, but why not :P

Slicing is where you can get a lot of cybernetics schematics, and armormech augments

Also provides a *lot* of bonus mission items

Lockboxes were simply the 'go to' since they provide everything except the Augments.. and Augments are only great if you have Armormech (or know one)... which is difficult to do since you'd also need scavanging and Underworld Trading to make good Armormech gear which has augments...

Deleted
    Got it on 400/400

If you get a Green or Above Green Quality Chest back, then you're savy. White Chests just cover the price of the quest usually. So you basically just wasted the time. A good profession to be honest if you're leveling, probably useless at max level. Because in the meantime you got most of the epic Importaint Build Plans for other things.

Slicing was nerfed to be "more on par with the other professions" which to me sounds like if you send them out on a mission for 200 credits you will receive 350 or maybe 400 credits. and for the more expensive ones you'll prolly only get another few hundred credits net gain. :<

I'm sitting at 450k credits or so on my lvl 41 char, I'll prolly try it out a few times then switch back to Underworld trading.
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Hard to say what is on-par though..

400 slicing and into my 40's.. I have no high level crafting profession or what not to show for the time investment.. that was the sacrifice for making a quest's worth of credits in an hour

I think part of the reason it was so profitable was you didn't spend the money sending guys out for no return (a throw-away item that no one would buy on the market).. not that you made a crazy bank with lockboxes (which.. you in essence could do since you didn't dump money on a crafting skill)

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, I don't see the point in Slicing even being a profession. It doesn't seem to add anything to the game except for free credits.
    I look at it like the Engineering of SWToR. Look how long Blizzard let that train wreck go for. Hopefully Bioware doesn't do the same thing and let a pointless profession go so far.

That said, it did need a nerf. I'm only level 22 and sitting on about 165k credits. Compared to my 24 Jedi Shadow that doesn't have slicing, and barely has 30k. It's pretty ridiculous. Glad I got some use out of it :P
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

I'll be curious to see how bad this nerf is. I really don't think slicing was too OP, given hour worthless it'd be in terms of credits/hour at higher level.

Yeah glad and sad to see this nerfed. I actually ran out of credits on my main at level 20 who didn't have slicing. So I started an alt leveled him to 16 to get 2nd companion and made him a slicer. He was able to fund my level 20 main but instead of going back to play it again. I kept making more slicing alts to log in run 2missions log out. As of yesterday I had 8 level 16s 6 of which had slicing, one of each advanced class and probably like 500k credits on hand after having dumped a ton into maxing underground trading/diplomacy on my 2 non slicing characters.

I hope it still nets a profit running nothing but box missions. But hopefully the profit is like 1k-3k credits a mission at 400 as opposed to 4-6k credits. Also on the plus side other gathering/mission proffessions have longer missions so longer to play after sending all 8 out.

Even with the way it was i totally saw myself dropping a couple of the alts slicing at level 50 for more gathering profs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I hate it, but you really do have to be a fool not to take it. Either that or you have to be a crazy person that likes working their butt off and maxing profits on the GTN for your credits. Simply put, slicing is free credits. You can make credits pretty well with the other crew skills, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort.
    Meh, I actually enjoy crafting. And credits are so easy to get without Slicing, it seems a tad pointless.

Not that I want to dissuade anyone from taking Slicing, the less people there are crafting the more I can charge my stuff for

Oh slicing. I will miss you.