Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Moral issue, am I wrong?

So I just turned 18 and am the next male to get the title to the family owned land in texas on the brazos river. I looked up how much the land is worth and was shocked to find out its worth 1000k. My family has always been a bunch of poor rednecks who can hardly afford to pay for gas to get to work and back.

Would it be wrong of me to sell this land for that amount of money? Or should I leave things the way they have always been?

You can't possibly think anyone is going to take this seriously. Are you really that bored?

Deleted
    Sell the land to get enough money to pay for a gender change operation. Then you'll no longer be the next male in line and this issue will go away.

Regardless of its worth, I'd speak with my family first before selling land passed down through the family.

However, it seems awfully unlikely that you own land worth that much, but that's simply what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Galashin View Post
    You can't possibly think anyone is going to take this seriously. Are you really that bored?
    What part is so baffling?

---------- Post added 2011-12-27 at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Regardless of its worth, I'd speak with my family first before selling land passed down through the family.

However, it seems awfully unlikely that you own land worth that much, but that's simply what I'd do.
    I could have been given the wrong info, but the website I checked listed the property value to be that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Atsuma6626 View Post
    So I just turned 18 and am the next male to get the title to the family owned land in texas on the brazos river. I looked up how much the land is worth and was shocked to find out its worth 1000k. My family has always been a bunch of poor rednecks who can hardly afford to pay for gas to get to work and back.

Would it be wrong of me to sell this land for that amount of money? Or should I leave things the way they have always been?
    |

If all you're asking is for moral advice, then you cant go wrong with bringing it up with your family and asking them what they think, and showing them the values and such. (Unless you're family doesn't take well to conversation) Just be careful with greed and other such stuff that comes when money gets involved.

I suppose it depends on what you'd prefer, it'll be your land, so its your decision to keep the old family tradition or try to improve your next generation's lives with that money. I don't think you could be in the wrong either way, and hopefully your family will understand your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just because it's worth a million bucks, doesn't mean you can actually sell it for that much, especially since the economy is going down the drain atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's gotta enrich someone's life, why shouldn't it be you? What I don't understand is why they struggled to make ends meet while they had this available to them, it's beyond me. It sounds like an endless cycle, you need to give more information and/or insight as to why generations have been holding off selling the land, what's the sentimental value, who would you alienate/ make jealous with the money you could make?

Sit on it for a few years and definitely take anything any of us here say with a grain of salt, but the best thing for you to most probably do is wait a few years, get some more life experience as you may feel differently in a few years time. Are you sure you haven't been expressly told NOT to sell the land?

You're obviously missing some important parts in relation to this from your original post.
    Last edited by Blockygame; 2011-12-27 at 07:23 AM.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Like people have said its best to discuss this with your family but depending on your relationship with them that may be tuff. It may even be worth more to develop the land in the long run. I personaly wouldnt take advice from mmo-c on this. There are people who are way more qualified/informed to help you

Do you care about your family?

Most people don't.

---------- Post added 2011-12-26 at 10:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Just because it's worth a million bucks, doesn't mean you can actually sell it for that much, especially since the economy is going down the drain atm.
    Not really. The recession is receding.

Sell enough to pay for college and keep the rest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Professionally Casual View Post

Most people don't.

Europe is a timebomb waiting to blow.

Quite the opposite if you check the actual facts instead of watching it on the faux news.

OT: find a smaller plot of land you could live on, get a genuine price on your current plot of land, sell, move to new plot of land and get a self-sufficient house built.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account

Most people don't.

I wouldn't believe everything your politicians tell you, it's the knee jerk reactions they make when they think everything is alright that end up putting us right back where we started. There's no foresight, only constant empty promises.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I mean, if you're the Barov family you can stand to lose some land.. but your family may end up a bit messed up.

(Srsly though, this needs moved out of WoW general discussion.)

they are rednecks so they might shoot him, so be careful on how you bring it up

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    they are rednecks so they might shoot him, so be careful on how you bring it up
    that's why you move far, far away after you sell it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Europe is a timebomb waiting to blow.
    and the US is way bettah, should start another war, kick start your economy, i mean... has to be some other country you disagree with that has oil :3

Mod Warning: Stop the trolling/Nation bashing!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-12-27 at 12:19 PM.

first I'd talk to the family.
    second I'd get a REAL estimate
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8