Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    and the US is way bettah, should start another war, kick start your economy, i mean... has to be some other country you disagree with that has oil :3
    Hi, American citizens do not start wars, it's the government. Americans do not sit around thinking about which countries have oil so that we can invade them. Americans do not go to voting booths to vote on starting wars, or to vote on which countries we should invade. Sorry if you can't handle facts and instead resort to unthought out and meaningless "burns". Yes, we invaded Iraq, and yes many Americans at the time were for it based on lies after the worst attack on our people in recent history, it was not prsented as "we are going to iraq to steal oil".
    To the OP, I personally would feel beyond shitty selling my family land just to make a little chunk of change. You say your family has always been pretty poor, so you probably were not the first person who posed this question to themselves. For this land to have been passed down through generations means it was obviously something pretty important to the family, and sure at your age a million dollars sounds nice...but I guarantee you would regret the choice years down the line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atsuma6626 View Post
    So I just turned 18 and am the next male to get the title to the family owned land in texas on the brazos river. I looked up how much the land is worth and was shocked to find out its worth 1000k. My family has always been a bunch of poor rednecks who can hardly afford to pay for gas to get to work and back.

Would it be wrong of me to sell this land for that amount of money? Or should I leave things the way they have always been?
    1 million's gone in the blink of an eye, unless you invest it wisely. In addition, money have no value except for those things of value you can buy with them (and the past have shown us that their "value" is anything but constant). Land on the other hand, can be farmed, built on, developed, mined, or left pristine...and that value won't be lost. In addition, there is the family tradition to consider...do you really want to be remembered as the one who sold off the family land for some quick cash?

In short: Keep the land.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a loan, buy some cows, hire some dudes to look after the cows = profit?

That land will be worth more in the future (unless the US goes bankrupt which it is doing anyway).

Deleted
    Assuming you're not trolling, it's a little worrying that you're asking for advice about something like on an internet forum. I'd suggest - assuming you're serious - that you have a long and hard think about what exactly you want out of life and how it would affect your family. You only live once, as they say - so is it worth possibly screwing over those who raised you for the sake of materialistic stuff?

Exploit the land yourself, if it's that expensive, there must be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Property for 1 million bucks isn't all that much. You make it sound like the dude would be the next Bill Gates.
    Is 1 million dollars much in the grand scheme of things? Nope.
    How about compared to average household net worth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_..._United_States

Their table only goes up to 2004, but we can still use that as a reasonable estimation point, especially since the text indicates a rough equality between 2000 and 2009 total wealth (with 2004 showing some growth from 2000).
    The OP claimed Texas. Median wealth in the South: 63.8k.
    The OP claimed rednecks. Median White non-Hispanic: 140.7k.
    75th to 89.9th percentile (median): 506.8k (meaning less than 17.5% of the population have a net wealth over roughly half a million).

Do "a bunch of poor rednecks who can hardly afford to pay for gas" (from the OP) sound like they'd be well into the top 10% of wealthy Americans? Unless you want to claim that they have debts totaling around half a million (despite, supposedly, also working), reducing their overall wealth that significantly.

Edit: One flat mistake, here. The median of 75-89.9 being 506.8k does not imply that fewer than 10% have a net wealth over half a million. However, given the surrounding statistics, we can reasonably assume the total over half a million is half that bracket, plus the one above. Fixed, now.
    Last edited by Galashin; 2011-12-27 at 07:36 PM.

Deleted
    if this is real. just talk with the local mob and tell them for a yearly fee of lets say 250k you guys can dump bodys on my land

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Sell enough to pay for college and keep the rest.
    Hate to break it to you but thats not true especially in Europe :/

OT: I'd say sell it to help give your family a better quality of life, prehaps move house or even just to create a better lifestyle.

OP, you know you can rent that land out to farmers. You don't have to sell it for it to make you money.

EDIT: Just to let you know my family does the same thing. We have a lot of land but no one in the immediate family does any type of farming. We rent it out to farmers and that brings in some cash at the end of the harvest season.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2011-12-27 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atsuma6626 View Post
    So I just turned 18 and am the next male to get the title to the family owned land in texas on the brazos river. I looked up how much the land is worth and was shocked to find out its worth 1000k. My family has always been a bunch of poor rednecks who can hardly afford to pay for gas to get to work and back.

Would it be wrong of me to sell this land for that amount of money? Or should I leave things the way they have always been?
    You could just leave it to someone else in the family and then go out into the woods and kill yourself, all your problems will be solved and you'll be taking up less of our air. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Galashin View Post
    Is 1 million dollars much in the grand scheme of things? Nope.
    How about compared to average household net worth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_..._United_States

Their table only goes up to 2004, but we can still use that as a reasonable estimation point, especially since the text indicates a rough equality between 2000 and 2009 total wealth (with 2004 showing some growth from 2000).
    The OP claimed Texas. Median wealth in the South: 63.8k.
    The OP claimed rednecks. Median White non-Hispanic: 140.7k.
    75th to 89.9th percentile (median): 506.8k (meaning fewer than 10% of the population has a net wealth over roughly half a million).

Do "a bunch of poor rednecks who can hardly afford to pay for gas" (from the OP) sound like they'd be well into the top 10% of wealthy Americans? Unless you want to claim that they have debts totaling around half a million (despite, supposedly, also working), reducing their overall wealth that significantly.
    I'm not even sure if he is trolling or not, I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying 1 million isn't all that much.

His family owning that land could still be a possibility though, there are people who would rather live a poor life then sell their property, I got an aunt who doesn't make much money but she refuses to sell her summer house and the land it's built on(most of my family on moms side got houses on our "family farm")... she is struggling with her finances every year but if someone dares to bring up the possibility to sell the house she stubbernly refuses. And I can understand that. The house is important to her and she chooses to live a poor life rather then sell.

Just the land the house is built on would bring in at least 150k, add the house and she would probably get at least the double for it, that money would probably see her safe to retirment but again she values the house higher then that, she will rather worry all year long how to pay her bills.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I'm not even sure if he is trolling or not, I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying 1 million isn't all that much.
    Sorry, but according to the statistics on average wealth of US households, you're just flat wrong. As is given in the article, as of 2004, even the 75th to 89.9th percentile's median was only 506.8k. As I noted, 1 million isn't much in the grand scheme of things, no. But based on the statistics, 1 million is clearly a lot compared to the net worth of the vast majority of American households.
    Last edited by Galashin; 2011-12-27 at 07:33 PM.

Deleted
    Sell a bit of land, build two houses. Live in one house, rent out the other.

Your family is the one to judge your morals here, not us. Go ask them.
    I can also find it rather disbelieving that the land is worth 1000k. Although, I wouldn't know anything about US real estate but in Australia a nice big block of land with nothing on it (assuming yours is aswell) would net around ~300k-500k depending on location.
    Last edited by Mustakrakish; 2011-12-27 at 07:41 PM. Reason: i like eggs

Your family is wrong to leave a ranch (or whatever) to an 18 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Galashin View Post
    Sorry, but according to the statistics on average wealth of US households, you're just flat wrong. As is given in the article, as of 2004, even the 75th to 89.9th percentile's median was only 506.8k. As I noted, 1 million isn't much in the grand scheme of things, no. But based on the statistics, 1 million is clearly a lot compared to the net worth of the vast majority of American households.
    Yeah I got that :P but from my personal pov 1 million isn't all that much.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...