Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Arena in SWTOR would work amazingly well

The PVP is really very good already in SWTOR apart from Jedi Knights being too weak.

It is similar to vanilla/TBC WoW PVP but without the ability bloat and ridiculous class balance issues of Cata, and it is slower paced making it more intelligible and more watchable as a spectator e-sport.

Arena in SWTOR would be amazing and very fun to watch and play, with a single 4v4 bracket being a natural fit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    The PVP is really very good already in SWTOR
    oh okay...

you cant really judge the pvp yet, give the game a month or so. as for e-sports style arena ill never support that, but thats just my personal opinion.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

pvp aint bad except the cc, ive been facing some sith sorc. oh god oh god they were raping me and everyone arround, and bh.. shiet. its pretty fun tho except that bug when u fall under the map and u keep dying

With all due respect, e-sporting and arena style PvP should keep the fuck out of MMO's.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Competitive PvP is fine but I don't think small scale Arenas are the right choice.

They but class balance into too much of a focus. Larger scale fights don't share that problem.

I remember a quote by a Blizzard employee saying that they somewhat regret implementing arenas the way they did. It would be dumb for Bioware to repeat the same mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    as for e-sports style arena ill never support that, but thats just my personal opinion.
    I second that. Unless I get to do 'arena' with ship combat. That'd be LOADS easier to balance, and really it wouldn't matter what class you play, so no flavor of the month stuff. Otherwise e-sport MMO PvP is tantamount to asking the player base to wreck your game from two directions simultaneously. Still, the OP has a point. JK/SW are just plain weak as crud. You feel sorry for them. Until you're in Huttball, that is.
    "Every time I see that commercial for this movie I laugh."
    "Which one?"
    "The one with the vegetarian bedazzled vampires."

Deleted
    Outside of the horrendous lag and delay in Warzones... maybe (and fps drop. World boss with +30 people is fine and steady with alot of shit going on at the same time, but 8vs8 = 10 fps?)

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Competitive PvP is fine but I don't think small scale Arenas are the right choice.

They but class balance into too much of a focus. Larger scale fights don't share that problem.

I remember a quote by a Blizzard employee saying that they somewhat regret implementing arenas the way they did. It would be dumb for Bioware to repeat the same mistakes.
    agreed, and on a good note i LOVE hutt ball. its so much fun knocking people into the traps =D. the whole course is pretty fun, till you get some bh that grapples you into the acid pit x-x.
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Arena-style pvp turns players into big asshats that think they're better than everyone else, I'd rather keep it out of Starwars, unless ofcourse there's no reward (Or maybe a small one) for doing Arena if it's implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    With all due respect, e-sporting and arena style PvP should keep the fuck out of MMO's.
    why? pvp is a part from mmo, and its fun no one would force you to play it anyway, swotr is nothing like wow im sure it would take a different path, but my opinion is that in this moment it would fail big time, just becouse of the class balance some are op some are not etc same problem with wow for 7 years :d and if the game will balance arround pve, pvp will fail big time again.. same as wow
    edit: but i think they should stick to premades tho, that would be fun, i remember when playing wsg as a premade back in vanila o damn that was fun and it was more of a "chess" game than it is right now in arena or rbg's.
    Last edited by Fower; 2011-12-27 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fower View Post
    why? pvp is a part from mmo, and its fun no one would force you to play it anyway, swotr is nothing like wow im sure it would take a different path, but my opinion is that in this moment it would fail big time, just becouse of the class balance some are op some are not etc same problem with wow for 7 years :d and if the game will balance arround pve, pvp will fail big time again.. same as wow
    There's many reasons as to why arena/e-sporting shouldn't be in a Multi Massive Online game, main ones being:
    • community breaking
    • promotes douchebaggery
    • breaks class balance
    • doesn't really stand up for "MMO" with it's small participant number
    • does not have anything to do with story or lore
    • distasteful, meaningless PvP with nothing else but to enlarge electronic penises of a select few who actually enjoy this game type

Spamming and Trolling: Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters. - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-02-06 at 12:20 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

I dont approve of arenas but i'm all for rated warzones or something similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    why? pvp is a part from mmo, and its fun no one would force you to play it anyway,
    Yes but you're forcing nerfs upon classes to balance for this "arena" pvp and it's already enough that they balance for pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

Blizzard said they regretted the way in which they implemented Arena but they also made it clear that they didn't regret implementing arena. Sadly they didn't elaborate on which way they regretted. It could have been opening arena gear to everyone, they may have disliked the "super serious" attitude around it and wanted a more super-smash feel to it with quirky mechanics. Either way, the system around Arena has changed drastically since that quote, and we can suspect that modern day arena is more to their liking.

well lets face it, even tho they add arena they wont be able to make everyone happy its all about what u like, u might like cola i like pepsi and stuff like that..

I remember reading something about Bioware saying that PvP was going to take a backseat to PvE 100%. Maybe I just misremember or misread, but I really hope thats the case honestly. I like PvP and all but I hate how PvP largely effects PvE when they try to balance the game and there is almost NO way around that sort of thing. Plus like people have said, Arena tends to promote elitism and douchebagery. Not saying there aren't any PvE douchebags but I don't would rather not have both.

well lets face it, even tho they add arena they wont be able to make everyone happy its all about what u like, u might like cola i like pepsi and stuff like that..
    sadly i agree. people will ALWAYS find something to complain about. besides getting rofl stomped by the occasional premade, im enjoying pvp in swtor. heck even the flashpoints are fun, Collicoid wargames dont even feel like a traditional dungeon until the final boss encounter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    The PVP is really very good already in SWTOR apart from Jedi Knights being too weak.

It is similar to vanilla/TBC WoW PVP but without the ability bloat and ridiculous class balance issues of Cata, and it is slower paced making it more intelligible and more watchable as a spectator e-sport.

Arena in SWTOR would be amazing and very fun to watch and play, with a single 4v4 bracket being a natural fit.
    The massive thread on the gamebreaking animation delays on the SWTOR general forum disagrees that pvp is anywhere close to good in this game.

In short. You cannot do anything until an animation finishes because if you do it will fuck the combat up. There is a GCD, but that doesn't matter because until the animation is done, ur screwed. You can't spam abilities to get them off faster because it screws everything and abilities won't even fire off at all. The funniest part being you can actually interrupt instant cast spells.

No, lets fix the game first.

I disagree, the PvP doesn't feel like Vanilla PvP at all

It's just much slower paced, and there's no "big battle" like Alterac Valley
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO