Thread: Population

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Population

So been over a week. I can Imagine Jedi/Sith being popular but please share with me what class you guys see as the most popular/unpopular. My server Republic side has many many Sentinels, with troopers(any AC) being least played. Sith side is tied with BH(any AC)/Muraders with IA(any AC) being least.

I am guessing that cover system is what is holding IA/Smugglers back. It seems fun now as I am only lvl 10 but I imagine novelty wearing off fast.

Aye, Sentinels are terribly popular because of the dual wield factor. I admit, I got sucked in by that as well, I love my Sentinel and fully intend on using him as my main raid/flashpoint character. But the gameplay proved to be good too, I wouldn't have stuck with Sentinel if the gameplay had sucked, even though "OMG two lightsabers is so shiny" appeal is powerful. Ultimately, function is more important than form.

Interesting you say that Trooper is the least played. On my server, I see tons of Troopers running around. I've had a couple groups with literally three Troopers and my Sentinel. One of my friends actually has two high-level Troopers, one of each AC.

Don't know much about Empire, I've never rolled an Empire character. I can understand why Bounty Hunter would be the most popular alongside Marauder though. Marauder is obvious, if Sentinels are popular then Marauders would be too, because of that "omg dual wield shinies" appeal. But Bounty Hunters have the same utility available as Troopers, but with vastly more visually impressive abilities. BH's have some of the most visually impressive abilities in the game. I mean, a flamethrower, and the ability to fly up in the air with your jetpack and rain bombs and blaster fire down on everything below you? That's AWESOME.

As far as IA/Smuggler... well... the cover system isn't really that much of a drawback past level 10. I've only played Gunslinger (basically same thing as IA Sniper) but once you pick Gunslinger AC you get the ability to pop down portable cover wherever you crouch, rather than having to seek out cover points, which makes the system SO much easier. Just punch F, instant cover. I would guess that on Republic side, Smugglers are almost as popular as Sentinels. But Snipers don't look as cool as Gunslingers do, honestly. A sniper rifle isn't as cool as dual guns.

I think a lot of people went with the most cool looking, really. I think that dual wield factor applies to the blaster classes as well. Gunslinger is played more than Sniper, but they're the same class and play the same. But Gunslinger gets two guns. BH is played more than Trooper, but they're the same class. But BH Mercenary gets two guns.

I see Jedi Sentinels everywhere... and Trooper, I dont see very many gunslingers or sages

I am a Jedi Shadow and don't usually see them around, most consulars on my server seem to be sage

Sith Inquisitors, unlimited amounts of them. Seriously, I rerolled my main char just because most of the people I grouped with were Sith Inquisitors.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Empire side Inquisitors alone are like 30% of the population

Republic side here it's much more balanced, but we still need more Smuggler love

Deleted
    Yes, based on feedback it does seem as if both the Agent and the Trooper aren't very popular.

I guess it's because none of the two is very iconic within the Star Wars universe.

Other than that, the Empire seems to be more popular overall, especially on PvP realms while being less popular on RP-PvE realms.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-12-27 at 01:51 PM.

I wonder why Jedi Consulars seem to be less popular than Jedi Knights/Sith Inquisitors though.... I mean, it's the mirror class of Sith Inquisitor, the most popular class.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    pretty much only sentinels and Troopers on mine. More troopers as the days go by.

Ive grouped with only 1 shadow, and 1 gunslinger on my 2 characters. Thats about it.

though im a sentinel myself

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I wonder why Jedi Consulars seem to be less popular than Jedi Knights/Sith Inquisitors though.... I mean, it's the mirror class of Sith Inquisitor, the most popular class.
    Lightning versus Pebbles.

Deleted
    Probably because they don't have Lightning.

10+ Year Old Account
    been playing a Power tech, LOTS of fun. sorta challenging though. im lvl 26 and havent seen many others.

honestly the heat system is a bit weird, with it only being a problem every other mob packs while questing , and once at the tail end of a mob pack in dungeons. but, as i said, its a TON of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Well I must say lifting 2 boulders and hurling them into the target is cooler than shooting lightning.
    Agree here. I guess the masses are rather Palpatine clones.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Agree here. I guess the masses are rather Palpatine clones.
    Unlimited POWAAAAAH!

Deleted
    You can hardly call ~30-60 people a good test sample, but it tends to look something like this on my server (in the 30's):

Vanguard
    Guardian
    Scoundrel
    Gunslinger
    Commando
    Sage
    Shadow
    Sentinel

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blckhartx View Post
    [...]
    I am guessing that cover system is what is holding IA/Smugglers back. It seems fun now as I am only lvl 10 but I imagine novelty wearing off fast.
    I am playing IA/Operative. Never using cover as it doesn't fit the play-style. Besides there's too many "un-cover" debuffs later on, making it almost useless.

What is truly holding back is that Sniper doesn't spell pewpew and they are rather fragile. Operatives are a little bit more robust but they are also the healer AC. Playing healer and tanks has always been unpopular. Hence why the trinity of roles is generally an outdated concept in my opinion. Can't wait for the day where increased flexibility in tactical assignments supersede the need for a role in order to find a group.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Well I must say lifting 2 boulders and hurling them into the target is cooler than shooting lightning.
    Not when you are on a solid metal spaceship.

cool thanks for replies. Seems to be mixed based on server.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Lightning versus Pebbles.
    i hates my pebbles ... I had to choose between Twi'lek and lightning ...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    pebbles has a stun with it correct? It makes it the better spell (pvp wise) but it looks just clunky.

Sith Inquisitors, unlimited amounts of them. Seriously, I rerolled my main char just because most of the people I grouped with were Sith Inquisitors.
    Yeah I'm playing Sith Inquisitor atm and there are tons on my server. I really wanted to play a stealth/Empire player and chose Inquisitor but so did eveyone I else. Its early don't know if I'm sticking with that class but atm I'm going to play it for a while just to see if I like it. I really don't want to be in the majority or most overplayed class but I also want to enjoy class I play.