Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Planets not being actual round planets.

Why are all the planets in Swtor flat?

IMO on a planet you should be able to start walking east, and if you do that long enough, you'd end up where you started.
    As it is now you get to some huge obstacle, keeping you in place. you should be able to fly around.

I was really looking forward to Corrussant, but I ended up rather disapointed, as it was nowhere as huge a city as the books/films implies.

-------------
    I really like this game, this is just a cough up.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110
    Ygtitte Level 110, Daènerys Level 110, Hotlava Level 110,
    Palefoot Level 110, Elemulius Level 110, Tussedk Level 110,
    Thuesen Level 110, Briènne Level 110, Tussebank level 110
    Tipoldefar Level 110, Gnarfy Level 110

Deleted
    Wow has walls too, and loading screens, you cant just disapear on the farthest east side and appear on the west side, it would be too complicated to make and/or be too demanding on the users hardware

It's just a small part of Coruscant that is relevant to the player.

I prefer the areas to be smaller an more manageable, I really hated Tatooine due to it's miles of pointless wastelands. Pointing your speeder in a direction and tabbing out for 5+ minutes may be more realistic, but it's not more interesting.

I don't think anyone who followed the game closely really expected they would be full, spherical planets

But, I was sure hoping they'd be better than the chopped up hallway simulator we got
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Azeroth should be round, but it certainly isn't because the sun sets at the same time on all continents, both in north and in south.

Making an actual planetary world in a game that's massive enough to house thousands of players let alone dozens of them, is pretty much beyond what's possible atm, perhaps in 10 years, perhaps sooner, perhaps later, but not now.

Do you have any idea how much work it would take to make full planets for each one? We wouldn't see this game until 2020

Wait. Really? Out of all the legitimate complaints you could have possibly had, your complaint is that planets are "flat"? Really? Give me a second, I'm cooking up a response, I just have to wrap my head around the concept of this complaint first.

Okay. First of all, you don't know how big these planets actually are. You come from an Earth perspective. If you ended up on a planet the size, of say, Jupiter (assuming Jupiter was entirely ground instead of mostly gas) then the amount of "traveling east to end up at the same point" would blow your fucking MIND. The easily traversable area might as well be flat to you. Maybe Tatooine is fucking ENORMOUS. You don't know.

Secondly, the concept of blocking off areas in an MMO... exists because they may add NEW areas LATER! What a concept right? How DARE a game company add new content to their MMO? If BioWare adds a content patch to SW:TOR, I'm QUITTING, canceling my subscription, I'm DONE.

No but seriously, all sarcasm aside, it's probably mainly for expansion purposes. They can always remove that wall and add another area to travel in later, for more story quests, or higher-level expansion content.

Deleted
    Besides the time to travel around a planet would be immense!

LF TANK
    I'M TANK
    COOL HOW LONG TILL YOU GET HERE?
    8 HOURS
    SOZ AT OPPOSITE END OF PLANET

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible in Civilization, and have been since civ 1.

Just make taxis going to the other side of the planet. At least give me the feeling of me being on a huge planet.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110

Deleted
    Look out of your window, THINK about how big a planet is - there's your answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MagusGothica View Post
    Wait. Really? Out of all the legitimate complaints you could have possibly had, your complaint is that planets are "flat"? Really? Give me a second, I'm cooking up a response, I just have to wrap my head around the concept of this complaint first.

Okay. First of all, you don't know how big these planets actually are. You come from an Earth perspective. If you ended up on a planet the size, of say, Jupiter (assuming Jupiter was entirely ground instead of mostly gas) then the amount of "traveling east to end up at the same point" would blow your fucking MIND. The easily traversable area might as well be flat to you. Maybe Tatooine is fucking ENORMOUS. You don't know.

Secondly, the concept of blocking off areas in an MMO... exists because they may add NEW areas LATER! What a concept right? How DARE a game company add new content to their MMO? If BioWare adds a content patch to SW:TOR, I'm QUITTING, canceling my subscription, I'm DONE.

No but seriously, all sarcasm aside, it's probably mainly for expansion purposes. They can always remove that wall and add another area to travel in later, for more story quests, or higher-level expansion content.
    Actually it is the only complaint I have on this absolutely brilliant game (that and the fact that I can't afford to take vacation to play)

You are right though it gives endless possibilities for future Patches/expansions.
    Tarren Mill, EU
    Tussee Level 110

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Besides the time to travel around a planet would be immense!

LF TANK
    I'M TANK
    COOL HOW LONG TILL YOU GET HERE?
    8 HOURS
    SOZ AT OPPOSITE END OF PLANET
    Patch 1.0.0
    - Wormholes are now available. Use your [Portable Wormhole Generator] to instantly travel where ever you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    think about how hugh Swtor whould be, from 25GB as it is now til unkown size (around 50GB+++++)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maythael View Post
    patch 1.0.0
    - wormholes are now available. Use your [portable wormhole generator] to instantly travel where ever you want.
    but the cd man, the cd

Quote Originally Posted by Siaer View Post
    The later planets are much, much bigger than Thython, Coruscant and Taris. Even Nar Shadaa, hallway simulator though it is, feels bigger than what has come previously.
    Not if you consider the confines of the space you're actually able to be in

With your logic, we might as well include the entire Ocean in WoW, Fatigue zones included as part of the "World"
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Quote Originally Posted by tussee View Post
    It's possible in Civilization, and have been since civ 1.

Just make taxis going to the other side of the planet. At least give me the feeling of me being on a huge planet.
    Civilization have a tiny map to begin with. And it's a turn based strategy game, so this is really a terrible comparison.

15+ Year Old Account
    remind me which games does that? Except Civilization which is not even close to the same genre of game.

Just imagining the technical issues that would bring and that would be very hard to expand planets once it would be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    remind me which games does that? Except Civilization which is not even close to the same genre of game.
    Oh heaps of games do it, it's just that none of them have the world on a scale where you can even see a player controlled character. Tussee obviously never thought about the practicalities of visiting a vendor in a city that takes up 32 by 32 pixels on a monitor. It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    remind me which games does that?
    Spore does it, but its planets are really TINY.

Deleted
    Frankly, the problem wouldn't be, that those 'round' planets were too big then. They were roughly the same size, just think the 2d-map folded into a ball.

We'd end up with hilariously small spheres, where you'd see the absurd curvature on the horizon.