Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Performance problems..in game silly

So I had a buddy of mine custom build my PC for me right at the beginning of December 2009. 2 years later I'm playing SWTOR and it couldn't handle it. I'm not good with computer, so hopefully the few thing I list can give you wizards and idea of what would cause my problems.

Intel Core 2 Quad - q9400 @2.66GHz
    ATI radeon hd 4850. (just upgraded to the 6950 last week)
    4 gig RAM
    win7-64
    23 inch monitor, 1920x1080 resolution

Before I upgraded the card, I couldn't run the game on max settings, so I had to drop it to low, and turn off shadows, naturally. I would hit like MAYBE 20-30 fps MAX, basically only happened in starter zones. Lagged A LOT anywhere else. Had lag spikes very very often. My friend figured my card was overheating and couldn't handle the graphics on top of the resolution display.

So I got the Radeon HD 6950. It runs a heck of alot better, I run on max, but I still get lag spikes. Virtually every time I mount/force leap/stealth it freezes. I hit force leap, 2 seconds later Im sitting in a pack of mobs.

The game also loads SLOW. Maybe it's because I'm minimizing mid-load, but very rarely does it seem to load quickly. I'm sure these problems are partially the game. I've heard ATI cards caused problems for some people, but I'm not sure if they experienced this exactly.

Anyways, can anyone shed some light on this issue? I would like my computer to run smoothly. I can't play this game like I did in WOW back in the Lagforge days, and thats basically what it was add before I upgraded to a 6950. Although a ton better, I feel it isn't going as well as it should be.

Also, like I said I don't know exactly how all the graphic options work, but I know in WOW I would reduce the view distance to make sure I wouldn't lag in big areas like Storm Peaks on MAX settings, I wish they added they option in SWTOR since the worls are so huge, I can see way far back..

Have you updated to the 12.1 beta driver? It helped quite a bit for me. Catalyst won't auto-update to it, so you have to get it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    Have you updated to the 12.1 beta driver? It helped quite a bit for me. Catalyst won't auto-update to it, so you have to get it manually.
    Honestly, no idea. What is it and how do I do it?

SWTOR seems to be memory hungry. Try to close any background programs (cleanup your notifcation bar) and try again. If that helps, upgrade your memory to 8 GB.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyr View Post
    SWTOR seems to be memory hungry. Try to close any background programs (cleanup your notifcation bar) and try again. If that helps, upgrade your memory to 8 GB.
    Notification bar?
    Do u really think 8gb would help?
    Cause I'm using 6 only.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Really the only thing that absolutely stands out to me is the 4GB ram on a 64b system. I would recommend upgrading to at least 8GB on a 64b system. Also, how old is the RAM? You could possibly upgrade to a higher DDR if your current Mobo supports it.

Use windowed mode.
    Use the maximizes windowed mode. It fixed all my problems. Gained 5-10 fps. Faster loading. Instant alt+tabbing. Its perfect now.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbtk View Post
    Honestly, no idea. What is it and how do I do it?
    go to http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...iewdriver.aspx and download the appropriate version. Run the file to install the driver. Restart your computer. I was running 11.12 previously and got a hefty fps boost after updating.

It's a known problem, which Bioware acknowledged a few days ago. Here's the topic about this bug:
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...t=72421&page=2

What seems to be happening? People who should be able to play the game on medium or even on ultra are experiencing HORRID FPS. Even after putting everything on low, closing background programs, disabling shadows, ... hundreds of players are having massive framedrops.

Bioware is working on it, so I shouldn't be surprised if the patch today fixes it (nothing in the patchnotes though). If not, we'll probably have to wait a few days.

Join FDWH Gold Challenge Mode on OpenRaid and get your awesome transmogrification set. These events are for everyone, ranging from hardcore veterans to skilled casual players. No experience is required, only knowledge of tactics. Make sure to put MMO-Champion in your note!

Like i said it was built 2 years ago, so the ram is 2 years and some change. And I reformatted so the only thing running is SWTOR and google chrome and vent sometimes. No other programs in the background

Quote Originally Posted by Ildurnest View Post
    Use windowed mode.
    Use the maximizes windowed mode. It fixed all my problems. Gained 5-10 fps. Faster loading. Instant alt+tabbing. Its perfect now.
    How come this works btw?
    What's the big difference between windowed and not?

----
    OP. I upgraded my system so that it's similar to yours. The only difference is I bought an additional 4 gb of RAM. I play the game on the highest settings and get around 40 fps in 'crowded' areas. 90+ fps when there're no people where I am.
    Last edited by Voidism; 2011-12-27 at 03:04 PM.

Deleted
    As the others have said, upgrade your RAM to at least 8GB, especially now that it's cheap as chips. You can never have too much RAM imo

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maythael View Post
    How come this works btw?
    What's the big difference between windowed and not?
    I'm not sure why it works to be honest. It was the same for me in WoW. Windowed maximized gave me another 10 FPS.

Deleted
    A relief to see its a known problem. Tired of hearing all elitist saying it works just fine and that they have a awesome computer etc.
    My computer isnt that bad and still I can clearly see that this game isnt fully optimized yet, wich is pretty frustrating. Really hope that they will work hard on this fix this so we can start enjoy an otherwise awesome game.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derkaderb View Post
    A relief to see its a known problem. Tired of hearing all elitist saying it works just fine and that they have a awesome computer etc.
    My computer isnt that bad and still I can clearly see that this game isnt fully optimized yet, wich is pretty frustrating. Really hope that they will work hard on this fix this so we can start enjoy an otherwise awesome game.
    I'm not trying to be elitist, but there are definitely a couple of issues with his current build. The CPU is going to bottleneck him a bit and the RAM really should be upgraded from 4GB to 6-8GB on a 64b system. If you're only going to run 4GB of RAM, there is no reason to have a 64B OS. With that you might as well just run a 32b OS.

Deleted
    1. I use min settings atm. They increase performance significantly compared to medium settings.
    BW will address the optimization issues at some point. Also, max settings are bugged atm and run as medium; BW promised a fix for this.
    2. Download this tool. CPUID (CPU Z).
    Check whether you have DDR-2 motherboard. You can switch it to DDR-3 motherboard and install a quicker RAM. 8 Gb RAM is recommended.
    RAM is dirt cheap. Ask your friend - he will know what to do.
    3. If you are rich and want faster load times buy yourself an SSD.

This all has to be some sort of driver problem or that swtor is optimized better for certain hardware. I was wondering how good would swtor run on my comp before buying it. My comp is kind of old, about 3 years (I think). Only graphics card was upgraded a year ago when the old one broke. Yet, I run the game on high settings. There are a few cases where fps drops for a few seconds (like attacking enemies while on speeder), but thats pretty much it.

If my generally old comp can run the game fine on high settings, I have to wonder why it wont run awesome with much newer computers. I keep my drivers updated, ect. Is that it?

edit: or perhaps I'm not really on high settings? I'm just reading the above post that was posted while I wrote this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    I'm not trying to be elitist, but there are definitely a couple of issues with his current build. The CPU is going to bottleneck him a bit and the RAM really should be upgraded from 4GB to 6-8GB on a 64b system. If you're only going to run 4GB of RAM, there is no reason to have a 64B OS. With that you might as well just run a 32b OS.
    Yep. But don't do 6GB, fill your slots with pairs, i.e. 4x2GB or 2x4GB.

Deleted
    Originally Posted by Anqwa
    I fixed it for myself. Jumped from unplayable with other PC's around, til smooth sailing wit this little line of text.... Graphics_ClipDistance = 0.10000000149

Believe me you will not see any gfx differences, everything just.... works. Playing on high without shadows.

This is a copy of my ini. Hope it works for you all

Code:

[Renderer]
    Height = 1080
    Width = 1920
    WindowX = 0
    WindowY = 0
    D3DFullScreen = false
    RefreshRate = 60
    DynamicLightsLimit = 2
    MeshLODQuality = 1
    TextureAnisotropy = 16
    FarClipScale = 3.9371195
    PlantDensity = 100
    NativeHeight = 1080
    NativeWidth = 1920
    doShadows = false
    doBlobShadows = false
    UseMinSpecShaders = false
    VerticalSyncState = false
    EnableBloom = false
    FullScreen = true
    TextureQuality = 0
    AllowDepthOfField = true
    GammaRamp = 1.037854
    SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
    AntiAliasingLevel = 2
    enableadvenvirolighting = true
    DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true
    Graphics_ClipDistance = 0.10000000149

[Game]
    MoviesFolder = ....\Movies
    SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Go into your user file, this directory

C:\Users\<insert user name>\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\client_settings.ini
    Last edited by mmoc48b6a8e929; 2011-12-27 at 03:55 PM.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starchuck View Post
    Yep. But don't do 6GB, fill your slots with pairs, i.e. 4x2GB or 2x4GB.
    True. 8GB is probably what you want to go for, filling all slots with the same RAM.