Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Armormech or Armstech viable end-game professions (for benefit)?

*really* hard to find this information as of yet... but from what I've gathered..

Armormech makes armor, but the armor is at most on-par with gear you obtain as drops from Operations...
    Armstech does the same deal with Weapons, for instance -- Barrels for weapons.. Can be on-par, but can not provide a benefit...

Biochem, which appears yo be unusual for the pack.. provides Increased / Better stims then other versions you can buy/trade/obtain... They also provide "limit-less" versions which mean you don't have to farm between raids for stims and medpacks..

Cybertech adds in grenades, which is at least an extra CD to throw around that doesn't use your primary resource (rage/energy/etc)

So.. My question is simply.. Why go with Armormech or Armstech if they provide no net benefit (they might make great money-makers for alts, or for making companion gear though)

I'm looking for someone to refute or confirm what I've heard -- I'm not sure this is exactly the case and I don't know anyone that played high level SWTOR Beta

15+ Year Old Account
    You can make epic versions of weapon and armor if you reverse engineer them correctly, you can also make exceptional variants that feature an additional Augment slot. I say they are worth it.
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The standard grade artifact items will be slightly lower or potentially on par with end game loot but if you crit on the crafted item, it will be much better than anything else.

...or at least that's how I understood it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    *really* hard to find this information as of yet... but from what I've gathered..

Armormech makes armor, but the armor is at most on-par with gear you obtain as drops from Operations...
    Armstech does the same deal with Weapons, for instance -- Barrels for weapons.. Can be on-par, but can not provide a benefit...

Biochem, which appears yo be unusual for the pack.. provides Increased / Better stims then other versions you can buy/trade/obtain... They also provide "limit-less" versions which mean you don't have to farm between raids for stims and medpacks..

Cybertech adds in grenades, which is at least an extra CD to throw around that doesn't use your primary resource (rage/energy/etc)

So.. My question is simply.. Why go with Armormech or Armstech if they provide no net benefit (they might make great money-makers for alts, or for making companion gear though)

I'm looking for someone to refute or confirm what I've heard -- I'm not sure this is exactly the case and I don't know anyone that played high level SWTOR Beta
    Don't go with Armstech. It's useless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    Don't go with Armstech. It's useless.
    Mind explaining that instead of just saying its bad.

Deleted
    Armormech - Can make items for 7 equipment slots (non-Force user gear) - makes gear for Head, Chest, Hands, Waist, Legs, Feet, Wrists

Armstech - Can make items for 1-2 equipment slots (depending on offhand item), companion weapons, as well as 1 mod type - makes Blaster Barrel (mod - provides main stats of some crafted ranged weapons), Blaster, Knife, Assault Cannon, Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Electrostaff, Scattergun

Artifice - Can make items for 2-3 equipment slots (depending on offhand) as well as 3 mod types - makes Hilt (mod - provides main stats of some crafted lightsaber/melee weapons), Crystal (mod - affects color/stats of some melee/ranged weapons), Enhancement (mod), Power Generator (offhand), Shield Generator (offhand), Focus (offhand), Relics (x2 Relic slots)

Biochem - Can make items for 2 equipment slots - makes Implants (x2 Implant slots), Adrenals, Stims, and Medpacs

Cybertech - Can make items for 1 equipment slot (4 if you include droid companion armor) plus 2 mod types and some miscellaneous items - makes Mods (mod - general stats for items), Armoring (mod - provides main stats of some crafted Armor pieces), Droid Armor (Core, Parts, Motor), Misc. Items (Transport Beacon and some AOE engineering type items), and Earpieces (x1 Ear slot).

Synthweaving - Can make items for 7 equipment slots (Force user gear) - makes gear for Head, Chest, Hands, Waist, Legs, Feet, Wrists

Reverse Engineering green items has a chance to receive blue items schematics, reverse engineering blue items has a chance (around 10%) to give purple items schematics. Also, you can receive orange (modable) items schematics while reverse engineering or sending your crew to missions.

Quote Originally Posted by lexonio View Post
    You can make epic versions of weapon and armor if you reverse engineer them correctly, you can also make exceptional variants that feature an additional Augment slot. I say they are worth it.
    that sounds like a decent argument for Armormech (with multiple slots that could be augments).. but doesn't sound like a good one for armstech (which would have 1, maybe 2 items)

I looked on torhead, but it's hard for me to tell which barrels are raid drops or crafted.. As far as I can tell there's no difference on the 140 weapon rating barrels

So far, at 100 Armstech, nothing in it is good for me. Only thing i can use is weapon Barrels... Not worth it. Armormech is better.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoCoffee View Post
    Mind explaining that instead of just saying its bad.
    At level 50, you can get better than the best craftable barrels (and equivalents) from a couple of hours of dailies on Ilum instead of wasting hours crafting them, reverse engineering them and wasting the very rare ultrachrome on them. (You purchase epic barrel 23s for only 8 daily commendations and it takes 45 minutes and ultrachrome to make epic 22s and this is not counting making the previous versions and reverse engineering)

Also, you need special dungeon/raid (think chaos orb) items to craft simple level 50 blue weapons that aren't as good as PVP farmable weapons.

Also, the commendation gear you get from simple questing is way more worth it than wasting your time making Armstech gear for leveling.

It just takes way too much time to gather rare materials and crafting the items for subpar gear. It's ATM worthless. That's why everyone went slicing.

I'm at 400/400/400 Armstech, Investigation and Scavenging if you're wondering.
    Last edited by Gerion; 2011-12-27 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gutfang View Post
    stuff
    Thanks,

But I'm asking about end-game benefit... . not crafting skills that benefit my companions

Nor did I need a link to a basic website summary of all the skills.. I can read codex entries

Deleted
    Personally, I, as Combat Medic (Trooper), went for Armortech, Scavenging, Underworld Missions combo. 7 equipment slots is a big a yes for me.
    But I Biochem, Bioanalysis, Diplomacy is good for extra boosts and implants.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    At level 50, you can get better than the best craftable barrels (and equivalents) from a couple of hours of dailies on Ilum instead of wasting hours crafting them, reverse engineering them and wasting the very rare ultrachrome on them. (You purchase epic barrel 23s for only 8 daily commendations and it takes 45 minutes and ultrachrome to make epic 22s and this is not counting making the previous versions and reverse engineering)

Also, you need special dungeon/raid (think chaos orb) items to craft simple level 50 blue weapons that aren't as good as PVP farmable weapons.

Also, the commendation gear you get from simple questing is way more worth it than wasting your time making Armstech gear for leveling.

It just takes way too much time to gather rare materials and crafting the items for subpar gear. It's ATM worthless. That's why everyone went slicing.
    Thank you for the useful information..

What do you know about Biochem ? Is it better then other obtainable items? or not require farming in the end to maintain (e.g. "farming mats for flasks")

Hm with how easy it is to get credits right now I think the best mods should be craftable, itd help with the economy(though still hard to call how that will pan out so early, it seems like therell be too many credits floating around) and create player money sinks...

And the best non-modable gear should be from Ops.

Deleted
    I would say it depends, if the crafted items are BoP then it might be worth it, as good recipes would probaly drop in Ops, if they'r BoE, let an alt have that Crew Skill, and have gathering and Bio Chem.

I'm gonna stick with Armstech in the hope that they buff it and people will end up buying stuff from me.

So far, the sheer amount fo short-sightedness and design screw ups in this game (which i do still enjoy) is horrific. How they can expect to be a major competitor to WoW with this many design flaws is beyond me. This game would have benefited HUGELY from more extensive beta testing and an extra 3/4/5 months of devlopment and polishing. It feels like they tried to push it out for christmas - bad idea.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

15+ Year Old Account
    my cybertech is at about 250. i love this crew skill. i think it will make good credits for endgame.

Take a look at this for some good info.
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

The pros and cons section is definitely nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Achromatis View Post
    Hm with how easy it is to get credits right now I think the best mods should be craftable, itd help with the economy(though still hard to call how that will pan out so early, it seems like therell be too many credits floating around) and create player money sinks...

And the best non-modable gear should be from Ops.
    That would make many of the professions useless, wouldn't it? unless it made mods ?

Who would be armormech or armstech if their gear was sub-par and they could make their own mods by changing professions?

A better way to go would be armor crafting make the best self-only armor... Weapon crafting makes the best self-only weapon, etc.

People can pick a profession they like, and the benefits should 'roughly equal out' in the end

but I'm looking for current end-game situation / knowledge, not ideal situations ;-) game's already live, they are not going to revamp the professions 2 weeks into the game

Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post

We just don't know yet, other than the face that Bioware has stated that they want crafting to be a viable means of gearing up your character.

Just like other MMO's, there are two possible scenarios:

1) Crafted gear is better than Raid gear (aka Operations in SWTOR).
    2) Raid gear is better than Crafted gear.

In Scenario 1, raiding is unnecessary. That is why most games go with Scenario 2 in their design. Designers can still make crafting "useful" in Scenario 2, a few different ways:

2a) Crafted pieces can "close the gap" between more casual raiding guilds and hardcore guilds. BOE Crafting pieces drop in the higher level raids, that can be sold to guilds still at the lower level raids.
    2b) Crafted pieces can help hardcore guilds "gear up faster" - giving them better gear for the higher level raids, for faster progression. Typically these pieces are BOP - for the crafter to make for himself, but they can be BOE, too.
    2c) Crafting can provide a bonus for the crafter's raid gear, that will be lost if the crafter drops the skill. (Like the BOP gems for Jewelcrafters in WoW, that are higher bonus than the gems other classes can slot in their gear)

I cannot refute or confirm what you've heard, since we just don't know yet. I did notice that you left out Synthweaving and Artificing. Synthweaving makes Armor for Force users, while Armormech makes Armor for non-Force users. Same parallel with Armstech and Artificing. You also forgot to mention the modding system, which will have a profound effect we haven't really seen before in other games.

I can tell you I reached 48 (and will reach 50 in a day or two) without using any crafted gear, just using gear from Quests and Commendations. I chose Cybertech because I thought it would be cool, I haven't even used self-made mods in my gear, because I'm a cheapskate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    Biochem has an infinite-use Medpac. I don't think the other crafting professions have anything you can really compare to that. They do have some fantastic items they can make but I'm pretty sure all of those can either be traded or upgrades drop from flashpoints / operations. If you have multiple characters then I'd recommend giving Biochem to your main and handing out the other 5 to your alts.
    i think cybertech has an infinite use grenade