Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are the Republic storylines any good?

Hey.

I play a Sniper and so far i am enjoying it and its storyline alot, despite the character being unresponsive sometimes, and several other minors bugs. However i want to roll at least one Republic character - so far im leaning towards Trooper or Consular. But alot of people are saying that the Republic storylines suck. Can anyone shed any light on how good the stories actually are compared to Empire, and if any are particuarly good/bad?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

I haven't played all of them that far but out of the Republic story lines I think the Jedi Knight is the best one. However, I enjoy the smuggler one the best due to all of the snarky one liners that my character makes in the conversations.

Yes, they are all excellent. The IA is probably the best of all the stories, but I would put the JK at a close second. The JC is probably the worst of the Republic ones, but it is still really good imo.

I don't really wanna play Smuggler - i wish to try a different class and Smuggler = Imperial Agent (i could go down the Scoundrel path instead of Gunslinger, but i tried Operative on another IA alt and didn't like it).

Whats so good about the JK one (minor spoilers okay) and whats so bad about the JC one? (Minor spoilers again okay).
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    Trooper story line is also good. About special forces team, a soldier story.

I have enjoyed trooper the best so far. Always a clear goal and objective you're heading for unlike some of the other stories that are more of "Oh what adventures will our adventurers find today?". Also, if you're vehemently light sided its amusing to force corrupt people in the Republic to be good either through blackmail or just because they fear you.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I keep hearing from fellow players that the Smuggler story line is amazing. From experience, the Consular story is rather bland and the Knight story line is average.

From all of this Trooper sounds very appealing - but it's the only one im hearing actual reasons for why other then 'this is good, this is bad' and 'no this is good, and THAT is bad'. Can people please try and give a few minor examples or explanations as to why any of the classes are good or bad? Apparently JK is both amazing and average.

Thanks!

But why? Can you elaborate?

Deleted
    Trooper is ok, it's a little more straightforward I think. More business-like, I can't be bothered with moral dilemmas so it appeals to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Smuggler best. Consular most boring.
    I find the reverse. My wife plays a smuggler, and I find her storyline to be pretty boring. I play a Consular and I find the storyline to be pretty good. Only the start is rather boring, but it gets better later on.

Deleted
    Whomever said Republic storylines are bad doesn't know what he's talking about. That's all.
    I can't speak for Jedi Consular, but Trooper and Jedi Knight are very well done.

I often hear people thinking Jedi Knight is the best, in fact, and I am inclined to believe them. Jedi Knight is very well put together with quite a few twists and turns, while clearly making them the main character of the story. They do some of the most straight-up "Epic" and important things you can think of.

Trooper I am very pleased with as well. I keep feeling like it's borrowed a bit from Mass Effect, and Mass Effect was a great game. The setting is very different, of course, but more than once have I felt my Trooper was much like Shepard. I definitely suggest checking that one out if you were considering it. The companions vary quite a bit and although the twists behind them aren't as big as the Knight's companions (I won't go into spoilers here, but they have some very... radical companions) they are rather interesting and fit well. The only one I just think is dull is Aric, the fellow you start out with.
    They have a very clear path as to where you're going. A clearly defined end goal, so don't expect all that many surprises as to what you're going to do, but then again.. so did Mass Effect (2).

As for Smuggler.. I wrote a reasonably detailed story about why I am greatly disappointed by them halfway across Act 1. People promise me that it starts off really slowly, Act I is generally seen as rather bad, Act II decent and finally Act III seems to be quite good. I can't confirm that, but it's definitely the one I thus far consider the worst storyline I've progressed through out of all the classes. I think the Smuggler story suffers from a lot of padding and dragging out with useless trivial tasks and honestly so far feel like it's BioWare's worst work. (So far being halfway through Tatooine, so over halfway through Act I)

At the end of the day all of these are subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Haasth View Post

Trooper I am very pleased with as well. I keep feeling like it's borrowed a bit from Mass Effect, and Mass Effect was a great game. The setting is very different, of course, but more than once have I felt my Trooper was much like Shepard.
    Do you have a female Trooper? It's the same voice actress as Fem Shep.

Very minor spoiler alert:

Playing a Jedi Sage and I'm currently only level 26 so I can't really say much about the experience as a whole, but I must say that it started out fine and entertaining, but after the initial quests with your master, you get to do the same thing again and again

ultimately - this thing is supposed to have consequences to you, but I'm not that far yet.

What I have found is that all the story lines are excellent in their own ways. I fully intend to play all of them, both Imperial and Republic. So far, my favorite has been smuggler, with sith inquisitor a close second. The only one I have not experienced beyond a few levels is sith warrior. As others have said, opinions about storylines are quite subjective, but I highly recommend taking the time to play them all at some point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Do you have a female Trooper? It's the same voice actress as Fem Shep.
    Haha, no, I have a male Trooper. You are right, female Trooper is voiced by Jennifer Hale. I also never played Female Shepard on that note (Got about a thousand male Shepards though, not even joking - of which almost all are engineers. )

But I really like male Trooper's voice actor, Brian Bloom, who you may remember from Dragon Age 2 as Varric.

Deleted
    I like being a Jedi Knight because you get to work with Kira. She sassy! =3

The story has had me very immersed so far. It's not better or worse than the Sith Inquisitor story, so far, just very different.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2011-12-28 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Republic stories aren't for kids, who wanna be "badass" evil mofos or how they call it. Republic stories are for good people who want to act as themselves and are not frustrated with being unable to act like jerks irl, so they unwind in a video game.
    You can do pretty Jerktastic things as Republic, too. Some of em are so bad that I actually have a hard time going through with em on my darkside toons, but then I'm kind of a softy.
    Yub Yub

Deleted
    I have played a few.

The Jedi Knight story is great. There are definitely some unexpected amazing moments there.

I found the Jedi Consular story a bit flat in comparison, it did not have the same punch.

<3 the smuggler story so far. Hilarious jokes and a much different atmosphere from the force wielders, more relaxed and comedic.

I also have to say Trooper is cool because there is always some sort of sound logic behind everything that's going on although you may feel like you know best for the moment in your decisions your boss will point out a logic you may not of thought of. I won't give big spoilers but as an example on a certain planet there is a political prisoner you need info from and he says he won't give you info until you rescue his family. If you agree to do this and save them you can grant him asylum because he's not such a bad guy after all contrary to the wishes of the people imprisoning him where he normally would stand trial. You get light side points for doing this but then you'll get scolded by your boss because you disrupted a local fair process and strained relationships with the planet and the Republic just because your "nice guyness" got you a bit too carried away.