Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I quoted the wrong guy, meant to quote the guy comparing TOR and WoWs competition to wrestling.
    Doesn't matter, the comparison is still valid. Why should it not be? The fact is that the WWF was never as compelling as when it actually had legit competition for #1 in the industry. The same can be said for many other companies in many different fields. It's one of the founding theories on which the entire economy is based. And it applies to WoW just as well, assuming that competition ever materializes. Many want SWTOR to be legit competition to WoW for this reason alone: so Blizzard gets off its ass and stops slacking off like it has been for the last 4 years.

Patch 1.9.0 still says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Doesn't matter, the comparison is still valid. Why should it not be? The fact is that the WWF was never as compelling as when it actually had legit competition for #1 in the industry. The same can be said for many other companies in many different fields. It's one of the founding theories on which the entire economy is based. And it applies to WoW just as well, assuming that competition ever materializes. Many want SWTOR to be legit competition to WoW for this reason alone: so Blizzard gets off its ass and stops slacking off like it has been for the last 4 years.

Patch 1.9.0 still says hi.
    If your referring to AQ 20 and AQ 40, I guess it could Technically count, but in the end it Really doesn't... its the same environment.

Still, one out of how many patches, and people act like they always got 2 raids a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    If your referring to AQ 20 and AQ 40, I guess it could Technically count, but in the end it Really doesn't... its the same environment.
    No, it really does count, and not just "technically." One was a 20 man, one was a 40. Different Bosses, different encounters, different balancing, completely different instances, different loot. The "environment" matters little, but one was indoor and one was outdoor. They shared a theme, sure, but we're not exactly talking about the difference between Naxx40 vs. Naxx25 here.

Next time, just check your facts because you insult others for not checking theirs.

sounds a lot like my general feelings

DS fights are extremely simple. they're just huge dps races. i really really hope that LFR is not the reason that its all so dumbed down. even if it isnt, LFR ruins the 'epicness' feel of raids. getting to the final boss and then finally killing it doesnt matter anymore because you already killed the tank and spank version multiple times.

LFR further destroys server community. this was a major problem in late wrath, and they're only making it worse.

DS is boring. the trash is tedious. theres no rep faction. you get ported everywhere. all the zones and models are reused from elsewhere (except deathwing). the eye of eternity wtf?
    After watching heroic madness (even though i will never get there myself), its the EXACT SAME! all they did was add another wave of bloods, and increase all the HP.

Blizzard has stopped caring. there is no communication anymore. classes are broken (hunter especially). some are just stupidly overpowered and nothing has been done to rectify it. BGs are completely unplayable as a melee character. mages will destroy you and you have no chance of every closing on them. they will keep you endlessly stunned or rooted and them burst you down with 50k+ shatters. blood deathknights are unkillable. i have a 4200 resil warrior, with a 403 weapon, and a blood dk simultaneously out dps's and out heals me. he will deathstrike me for higher than i can crit.
    They arent going to fix it. they already suckered in hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of people with the annual pass crap. there will be no balance patch. there will be no fixes. they are just riding it out until pandaland.
    i fully expect hunter bugs to go unchecked until late DS, when it no longer matters and everything is being farmed. pets take stupid amounts of dmg from random mechanics. sometimes mend pet cant even heal through it. pets get 1 shot by odd mechanics, and you lose 10secs of dps ressing them. pets will die to NOTHING. they just die. hunters cant stack on half the fights, and are left sticking out the back taking excess dmg. this is a real problem when every fight requires you to stack under the boss half the time.

the world is dead. its not 'world' of warcraft anymore, its 'capital cities' of warcraft

whatever
    /end rant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearlySane88 View Post
    I'll do you one better with three letters:

WCW

You know when the best times to be a wrestling fan was? When the WWF/WWE was first starting to go national in the early to mid 80's and when the WWF was getting it's butt handed to it by the WCW with the NWO storyline. The WWE was forced to pick up it's game and come up with completely new and interesting ideas. Now a days the WWE has NO competition and is very complacent, takes no chances and is no where near as exciting as it used to be (though the WWE has been picking up it's game lately, especially in the actual wrestling match department but that is neither here or there for this discussion).

I'm hoping that SWTOR can be WoW's WCW only without the buying out and terrible Invasion angle afterwards. As for me personally, I'll be playing both games as soon as I purchase a new computer since mine blew up on me a week or so ago.
    ~

Excellent analogy.

I may add that this topic's premise is misleading. Few people "leave" WoW for ToR. You might not temporarily renew the subscription; you can be absent for a few months, even a year... but sooner or later most of the players who quit will come back. Besides, there is not a dividing line drawn between ToR and WoW. You don't HAVE to choose between them. I am trying ToR out and so far my experience has been great. However, I still want to do a few bgs with my hunter, or an old raid with a few guild mates... why shouldn't I? Are MMO's a religion of some sort? Do I have to be an exclusivist/monotheist and pay homage to either Blizzard or Bioware?

No, it really does count, and not just "technically." One was a 20 man, one was a 40. Different Bosses, different encounters, different balancing, completely different instances, different loot. The "environment" matters little, but one was indoor and one was outdoor. They shared a theme, sure, but we're not exactly talking about the difference between Naxx40 vs. Naxx25 here.

Next time, just check your facts because you insult others for not checking theirs.
    If their was an indoor firelands, and an outdoor firelands, with different entrances, but close together.

Do you consider it 1 raid, or 2. Maybe Im different, but I would say 1.

But I consider LBRS, and UBRS to be one Dungeon, just different parts as well.

There are too many reasons to list that led to my leaving WoW.

In short, Blizzard has continuously disappointed me with their content and patch cycles since Trial of the Grand Crusader (3.2). ToGC was a disappointment for many reasons, ICC was fun for a few months but doing it for a full year wasn't fun for many reasons, and Cataclysm had so much potential but they somehow managed to make the motherfucking apocalypse entirely boring. I cancelled my sub in 4.1.

15+ Year Old Account
    My healing-specced Trooper just got Earth Shield. It's going to take a monumental effort by Bioware to try to set itself apart from WoW when you consider that they basically carbon-copied so many aspects of it. If they really cared that much about being different from WoW, the game would be different.

What they actually want is the game to be similar to WoW, so they can integrate the WoW players without much of a learning curve.

I'm pretty sure that this conversation took place at Bioware a couple of months ago:
    "Ok, we've finally copmpleted the talent trees. Each spec gets three trees, 41 points to invest, and we even copy/pasted a lot of the WoW talents"
    "Um... sir? The news straight from Blizzcon is that they're getting rid of talent trees almost completely."
    "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
    Hah. I think it was more like when TBC was around they decided to carbon-copy ideas from there and then made slight adjustments because that was the era where they started and it shows in-game. Once development has progressed you can't just scratch it all and start over again. It's also the reason why essentially RIFT talent trees have the same dated design outlook (ignoring their approach on talent trees in general). I wouldn't be surprised however if indeed Blizzard's move caught them off-guard. Depending on how Blizzard's ideas play out in reality - which we get to preview in Diablo 3 already - I wouldn't be surprised if they at least scratched silly +X% increase talents.

But when it comes to creative ideas about healing you'd come up with something like that eventually. I don't think we will see radical changes soon either but when it comes to the necessity of that it depends on what would actually fit in. For now we don't even know how all the abilities would work out, in WoW players had time to scrutinize every mechanical aspect using the mathematical scalpels and magnifying glasses. So eventually redundancy showed up and Blizzard worked to eliminate it. So it's hard to tell where Bioware when and how they will see the need for changes. If they just keep copying WoW then they will in the end be not better than Blizzard in terms of policies of technological integration and absorption.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I know people like to use the easy/normal/heroic are all different in terms of value, but its not true, and I'll explain why, so don't get all worked up just yet.

The problem comes in one simple form: heroic isn't hardmode.

What I mean by this, is that hardmodes were different and challenging, mostly due to some crazy mechanic that made you throw your whole strat out the window. Heroic simply adds maybe one new mechanic and a ton of hp. Hold on whilst I contain my excitement. Heroic modes are more difficult, yes, but not for the same reasons that hardmodes were. Having done them at progression level, I can fully stand behind this thinking.

I have always been pushing content, perhaps not at top 50 levels, but still within the top 3 of the server, which, seeing as how I don't run into many top guilds regularly, is fine for me. Dragon Soul, however, lost all its luster immediately. Sure, its nifty and the mechanics are clever at times, but once you complete it, regardless of the level of difficulty, there is little to no drive to do it again, only with the baddies having more health. You can argue prestige all you want, but many of us in the position to get server firsts just don't give a shit. You may, but a lot of us have been doing this for 7 years, and this is one of the worst raids to date. I say one because Gruul's, mags, eoe, sarth, halion, and toc stand out as dreadfully bad. Not in mechanics, just in overall shittiness.

That's main point 1.

The community taking a nosedive is our own fault. If you remember that backlash from Blizz wanting to add names to the forums, you'll realize why. We were so upset about losing our privacy, myself included, that we didn't notice that we were paving the way for the community to take a swan dive into an empty pool. Blizzard is swamped with trolls more than ever, because they feel safe now, and for the most part, they are. MMO has a better moderation staff than wow does. Not to mention the fact that in game trolling is so rampant that they are entirely reliant on us reporting the players multiple times. We brought it on ourselves. No one ever stood up and fought back until it was too late.

As far as not caring, pft. They care. Just not about what many of us want. They have to make a decision, is this a casual game or a hardcore game. There is more money in casual and more prestige in hardcore. They chose casual, tried to backpedal and ended up making things much worse, proving only that they would cave to massive whining on the forums, where the majority of hardcore and/or content players never venture.

I don't go to the wow forums. They're a cesspool. Rational conversation is drowned out by never-ending trolling and irrational conversation. I hardly ever post on here because it gets bad here frequently. The bottom line though, is that if you want a community to not suck, you need to be constructive and engaging. You cannot leave the forums to rot and you cannot act like an elitest douche. You have to be a PART of the community you want. Every time you post a lolumad post, you are telling the rest of the community that its okay to be like that. Now, if you want to CHANGE the wow forums, or if in the future the swtor forums go into a nosedive, you have to remember the number one rule: You have to BE the change you WANT to see.

Also, most people are leaving from boredom. Not a lack of things to do, just general boredom with the game. WoW is old. They try keeping it fresh and new, and that won't always sit well with everyone, but at least they try. It could be MUCH worse.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I left because of general disappointment in the company and in the game. Blizzard went from a company that made tons of money making great games, to a company that makes money at the expense of making quality games.
    this123456

Mod Edit: "This" posts are not permitted. If you want to post, contribute something.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-12-28 at 02:08 AM.

I left wow because of a culmination of things that the lfr pushed over the edge. You used to know people on your server, a community existed. You knew who was good and who was bad at pve and pvp.. Now I dont even know who 5 people are on my server because with the exception of my arena partners there isnt any reason to need to know anyone else.
    Shhh im typing this to u on my i phone on the toilet at work

1. I'm having a lot of fun with Dragon Soul, and very much prefer it over Firelands. Obviously, everyone won't love every raid that comes out, but why exactly do you consider it so much less enjoyable than Firelands?

2. How does adding an easier difficulty level for casual players trivialize the normal/heroic raid content?

3. Blizzard has most definitely not stopped caring. Have you read any recent interviews or blogs from the devs? They are still putting a lot of thought and care into making their game something that people will enjoy. They are adding more new features than ever before.

For the record, I'm playing both SWTOR and WoW for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elune View Post
    What hell of evidence u need ?

- ZA and ZG full reashed content for patch 4.1
    - Abyssal Maw Raid removed from patch 4.2
    - War of Ancient Raid removed from patch 4.3
    - Dragon soul raid with all but 2 reused boss model, reused malygos room, reused wyrmest temple... Gunship??????
    - Fireland 4.2 raid with only 7 bosses

What about the Cataclysm Raid pannel in Blizzcon: "More Raid content then ever" lol ? Or, " We learn that have only 1 istance for tier is a mistake" ?? Shall we talk about 1 fucking year ICC ?

This is clear an evident of blizzard stopped producing content and just use money to fuel something else. It's CRITICAL that SWTOR will be a HUGE OUTSTANDING SUCCESS, this is the only way to force Blizzard produce quality content again.

No competition = This shit will keep going until wow will die by itself.
    More competition = More quality and more content for us.
    To me very well stated. Especially fact that more competition will get them to produce more quality. I dont wanna try to flame or troll but again my opnion the content is re-used crap or raids not much effort. I really do wish blizz would wake up but then again maybe they are just to fat and bloated and would rather care about the bottom line dollar than making good content.

I left due to the destruction of my shaman they killed the class as well as the fun factor.

Truth be told I think WoW does many things better then SWTOR and the combat in WoW is so much more fluid and responsive. I miss that combat, and the open world, and the mods and far better UI and Maps and Professions.

But I can't play WoW anymore because some developer decided to gut my warrior in pvp and leave it like that for almost a whole expansion, just like they decided to leave other classes overpowered. The classes that always seem to be left overpowered. Now they might do the same thing in SWTOR, but if they do then I'll just quit it for GW2 when it comes out, and so on and so forth untill I find a good MMO not run by biased idiots playing favorites.

5.0 will not fix it.You just keep buying into their lies of fixing it with the next patch, but then that happens and nothing really changes. Like 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 now, all the time waiting for them to get around to fixing my arms warrior, or fixing resto druids, or fixing enh shamans, but nothing is done to help the weak classes, and likewise nothing is done to nerf the overpowered ones either, Cataclysm might as well be called casterclysm for how overpowered Mage, Warlock, Shaman have been for the whole expansion now.

I see all these warriors waiting around for 5.0 now, but just looking at the talent trees it's obvious the developer bias will leave warriors in the same shit position the class is in now. The Piercing Howl, Throwdown, Auto Applied 50% slow, tier shows that. Here you have 3 abilities which are all much needed for pvp and Blizzard is making you choose only 1 of them, and that 1 is still much worse then the copy of it that rogues get or dks get. 50% auto applied slow compared to 70%, 5s stun on 45s cd vs 6s stun on 20s cd. Their bias against warriors and for rogues and mages and dks is so obvious when looking at the 5.0 class trees I would be a fool to go back to playing my warrior and thinking it's going to get better. Because its not, the only way WoW improves for me is Greg Street being fired and a new lead dev comes in who demands good balance.

SW:TOR balancing is not great yet, I know it, you know it, but I also do not know that the developers are going to leave it like this for the next 6 months, which I do know the WoW Devs are.

So I am warrior no longer, and Trooper now! Maybe in 6 months I'll be a warrior in GW2, idk, but at least I am hopeful about getting to play fun MMO pvp that is at least semi balanced for me, which I havent gotten to do in WoW since season 7!

Quote Originally Posted by Destian View Post
    I was already planning to quit WoW for SWTOR. What surprised me was that half of my guild followed me for the following reasons:

1. Dragon Soul was not an enjoyable raid. Firelands was fun, DS isn't.

2. LFR trivializes content that previously took months to do.

3. Bliz has just stopped caring.

I'm loving the hell out of SWTOR and I'm glad so many guildies came with me from WoW.

I was just wondering if any former WoW players left for the same reasons and their thoughts on what SWTOR is offering us that WoW doesn't.
    Funny.
    I am about to quit WoW but for none of those reasons. Actually, I find all of them pretty ridiculous.
    Personally, I find DS a much better raid than that boring ashtray Firelands. LFR has nothing to do with heroic content, anyone who claims to have "cleared the content" via LFR is obviously an idiot. And the "Blizz doesn't care, only wants our money, hates class X/Y/Z" has been absurd from day 1.

I myself am just tired of the world, the setting, graphics, all that goes with it.
    Time to move on. And SWTOR is a pretty damn good destination.

Deleted
    Cataclysm was simply a bullshit expansion. WoW is slowly rotting but no im not going to switch to swtor i rather quit all mmos alltogether. Sadly it all started with the wotlk faceroll era and the devs trying to do shit stuff like normal/heroic + lfr modes to please every scrub out there. But little do they know this shit gets old very fast.

I hope they take a bit hit and lose o lot of customers. They dont deserve any anymore.

I quit WoW because I felt it was time for me to move on.

A friend of mine was all "herp derp star wars" so I was like "FINE BRO JESUS" and bought it. Enjoyed it so far, few problems here n there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    So, I decided to buy SWTOR. I love the challenge of the dungeons, i love the stories now that I'm off the noob planets. I don't see what i hated about this game anymore, and the further i play, the less I care to login to WoW....
    welcome to the dark side

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again please do not make SWTOR vs WOW threads (or any incarnation of them).