Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What makes SWTOR different from WoW?

Hi.
    I was playing SWTOR on beta but only 1 weekend and obviously I did not get far into the game. And I must say I was not impressed. But Im thinnking about giving this game second chance. The problem is Im not sure if its worth spending my time (and money) on this title. Some people saying its awesome game, and other say its just WoW in sci-fi scenario.
    So I wonder, what actually make this game different than WoW?

In beta i found two things:

- questing, the whole voiceover idea and story telling, and dark/light side choices
    - combat, no auto attacks

Anything else to add to the list?

PS: Avoid flaming pls, just wanna know if its worth trying if Im not sci-fi fun at all.

If you have to ask this, don't bother buying the game. You already have your mind made up.

Deleted
    G'luck is all I say...

Personally you should already know after 1 week of beta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    If you have to ask this, don't bother buying the game. You already have your mind made up.
    Probably this as it plays out alot different from WoW imo

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    G'luck is all I say...

Personally you should already know after 1 week of beta
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Deleted
    To actually answer :P

The story feels more lush and intriguing, you get help from actual NPC's (Companions) as opposed to the king asking you to take out one guy when he could dispatch an Army. The talking quest stuff is also nice. Mainly the lush story imo

15+ Year Old Account
    oh great, another flame fest about to happen.

i think mods should insta-lock any thread with the word 'WoW' in the title. they NEVER go well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Lightsabers.
    ...and twi'leks.

People always seem to make stupid threads like this wondering if other people can help make them like something for them...some mod should lock this

It's not any different to me, except for the voice overs. It's like playing WoW 5 years ago really. I am a huge star wars fan and was so excited to play this ever since it was announced and I'm so disappointed right now. I hope they improve it over time but I have already canceled my sub. It's just really boring to me right now. Nothing new, same old same old. Kill x, bring this to this guy, flip this switch there, blah blah. The choices you make in convos seem fun but in the end, the majority of the time have no effect on the quest as even when you tell the quest giver to piss off, he still tells you "here take this thing anyways, if you have time, go do it."

IMO, the people that love it are deluding themselves into loving it, but again that is just my opinion.

It is WoW in space with lightsabers, WoW from 5 years ago, with less options, less fun, and IMO it will lose subs quickly and will go free to play within a year.

Loading screens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayrah View Post
    People always seem to make stupid threads like this wondering if other people can help make them like something for them...some mod should lock this
    no need for anti-social aggression

It's honestly hard to take any of these types of threads seriously.

They all seem to be threads just creatively finding ways to ask the same, tired, drama inducing questions that have been asked to death already.

'Oh hai, I hate sci-fi, I tried beta and hated it. Should I buy the game? Convince me why by intricately going through differences all the while keeping opinions out of it because adding "avoid flames" really stops people from doing so.'

Quote Originally Posted by kanezfan View Post
    IMO, the people that love it are deluding themselves into loving it, but again that is just my opinion.
    LMAO! Or, you know... people could legitimately like something you don't. That happens from time to time.

Deleted
    Vastly superior storylines, more replay value than WoW with each class having its own story.
    Legacy system - playing alts = legacy XP = extra rewards further down the line.
    Companions - each has their own extra story that you unlock as you gain affection with them.
    Your own ship which you can mod and upgrade.
    Datacrons - hidden around the worlds, fun to look for and find. They give you permanent stat boosts.
    Space combat - fun mini-game for some variety.

As for combat, so far it seems more sophisticated than WoW with way more abilities that are worth using unlike in WoW, where you have two or three abilities and the rest are worthless 90% of the time. Combat looks a lot nicer too. Each ability has a unique and distinct animation.

Haven't yet done raids. They look less epic than WoW raids, but its early days and I no longer care for WoW's bullshit reused content and samey ideas for every new instance.

But no, don't bother trying it as you don't like sci-fi and it sounds like you don't actually want to play it. So don't!

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that makes SW:TOR infinitely better then WoW is the storytelling.

Throughout the entire leveling process, you ALWAYS have a class quest guiding you, which is very epic for each and every class. Add to that that every single quest has voice acting, and that you can even influence this with conversation options, and you can see what I mean.

As for the rest of the game, somehow it feels very familiar, and easy to pick up if you've been playing WoW for some time, yet is very different.

I'm not going to say it's a WoW killer (I'll reserve that for some time in the future when there are more numbers available), but it's, in my opinion, the best attempt at it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is that one game has a fantasy setting with 10 different races the other is a Sci-Fi setting with mostly (?) humans.
    I have seen this comparison quoted so often but yet is a complete fallacy. All of the races in WoW are humanoids as well. What's the difference between a Tauren and a human? A cow's head? That's about the equivalent of a twi'lek and a human. Elves on both sides are humans with pointy ears? Hello, there are dudes in TOR with horns coming out their heads and the difference is?

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Only buy swtor if wow is dead to you.
    Buying SWtoR just for the questing experience is worth the money. WoW is not dead to me, I enjoy SWtoR a lot still. If the end game is any good I might make it my "primary" game and play WoW casually.

you basically hit the main differences, except for companions. The best part about companions is that it makes leveling as a tank/healer easier. Other than to story though, the gameplay is really wow-esque. Some content is a little more difficult that WoW, in that it requires CC and a little more than face-rolling, we'll see if that picks up at end-game.

Bottom line is, as others have said it sounds like you made up your mind in beta, you may be on the fence, but if your asking us to convince you, you may want to pick it up and try it. Really, where I am hoping the big difference is, and the reason I have picked it up and am playing both games currently, is end-game. Will they release content at a faster rate than WoW and will it be more challenging. Once that happens I will make a decision which game to stick with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Only buy swtor if wow is dead to you.
    False.
    Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    oh great, another flame fest about to happen.
    Stating such both encourages it, and is pointless.

I would have to agree with others: if you weren't able to find the differences while playing the beta, you're not likely going to enjoy the game anymore than WoW. However, aside from the setting and the more captivating story, the differences you'll mainly expect to find is the crafting system, the use of companions, a large number of missions requiring cooperation with other players, and lightsabers. There's other stuff, but that's all I can bother to think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    It's honestly hard to take any of these types of threads seriously.

They all seem to be threads just creatively finding ways to ask the same, tired, drama inducing questions that have been asked to death already.

'Oh hai, I hate sci-fi, I tried beta and hated it. Should I buy the game? Convince me why by intricately going through differences all the while keeping opinions out of it because adding "avoid flames" really stops people from doing so.'
    WIN!!! So much this