Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is that one game has a fantasy setting with 10 different races the other is a Sci-Fi setting with mostly (?) humans.
    SWTOR currently has 9 playable species. One of them is human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    There should be a new rule on this forum: Dont take opinions from those with star wars avitars/signatures, because to them obviously star wars is better then wow, disregarding the fact they are on a world of warcraft based forum..Oh internetz
    That's profiling and that's immoral.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Don't listen to thetc wow fanboys, they hey very defensive because they know this is a real threat and most are too broke to.afford a new game, so they bash it. Pure envy and fear. Dark side stuff..

The game is a HUGE improvement over wow, get it if youre not a loser who cant afford 60 bucks..

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    If you didn't like it in BETA ... it's still the same game. If I was to pick the most noticable differences.

1. Proper storytelling.
    2. It's huge ... every planet is like 5 WoW maps and there is new planet every 4 levels.
    3. Animated combat. Ppl get blown away, blinded, choked, weapons get overheated ... everything is superbly animated.
    4. PvP balance ... Blizz says again and again it's too difficult to balance leveling brackets. BW has done it.
    5. Leveling flash points are nicely difficult. No zerg zerg zerg. (Esseles does not count, it's for 2 players)
    6. Heroic missions make ppl group up even outside of flash points.
    7. Interesting combat mechanics ... The energy system of scoundrel is genius.

Despite some ppl trashing on current state of PvP in TOR, imho it's very fun way of leveling up. A bit of class story, a bit of space shooting a bit of PvP, a bit of crafting ... happy me.
    1. The story is good, however ls/ds points force you to play your character gooing super good or super evil, if you want all the rewards
    2. False, it only appears like that because you cant see the mountains which limit the zone like in wow
    3. combat animations are realy beatiful compared with other mmos, however cc abilities should leave a better to see animation on the affected enemy
    4. pvp balance needs a lot of work but i'm sattisfied with it compared with wow's pvp balance at the launch
    5. flashpoints are everything else then nicely difficult, sry but it is a fucking "pull everything together and bomb it" and i always did the flashpoints before reaching the suggested level to play them, in the six flashpoints i have seen so far, there was only one tricky encounter in them
    6. aye, but the awards for joining with other players to do heroic missions are a bit low, making them not worthy to play
    7. the combat mechanic is a bit out of date, only 2 ressources per class make it to easy to play (cooldowns + class ressource), wow did here a better job with cataclysm (owls balance, warlock shards, holy power, chakras,...)

To summ it all up, the story still makes the game more fun then wow did at anytime in the 7 years i have played it and i have high hopes that this game will become huge
    @ first post, this game is deffinetly not for you if you didn't enjoy it in the beta.

Game is better if you like starwars more, if you like story driven leveling more.
    MMO's are very similar in lots of respects in the same way RTS games are, and FPS games are.

There is nothing ground breaking or world ending, there might be in a patch or two but Bioware have played it smart and gone with what works for release.

If you are sick of being disappointed by wow devs - You can try any other mmo, Thus far i personally enjoy swtor more, Rift was okay but i didn't like it that much.
    Even Star trek has an mmo but i haven't heard enough good things.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayrah View Post
    People always seem to make stupid threads like this wondering if other people can help make them like something for them...some mod should lock this
    There's nothing wrong with wanting a persuasive argument from actual players of the game. It's equivalent to reading Customer Reviews before buying something online. Yes, a lot of them are biased, but they're likely more accurate than what the seller is telling you. If you read enough reviews, you can usually piece together what the product is actually like.

From this thread, most SWTOR players are saying:
    - Richer storylines
    - Voiceovers
    - Better questing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Some people saying its awesome game, and other say its just WoW in sci-fi scenario.
    So I wonder, what actually make this game different than WoW?
    its just WoW in sci-fi scenario.
    So I wonder, what actually make this game different than WoW?
    sci-fi
    different than WoW?
    If you have no idea whether you like it after a beta weekend, I wouldn't waste your time. You're interested in the Star Wars lore, or you're not /thread

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bioware focused so much on dialogue and story progression, that they basically slapped together an extremely generic MMO and called it SWToR. Bioware is currently getting by on their name, and the hype. But I think even die hard fans will start to see the game for what it really is... the same boring shit that's already flooding the genre.

The problem is, they never decided to look to the future and instead locked SWToR back in 2006, using antiquated, boring systems that could have been improved. The game itself is very unfinished and there's next to no polish. Bugs are common, but expected right now. While server stability and queue times have been improved dramatically, the core game itself has an underlying problem of being fun... but possessing very little longevity. I can see a significant portion of the population dropping off once they hit 50. It's not because there's currently very little content, it's because of what I mentioned above... they focused so much on the story/leveling process, that everything else is just plain ol' generic crap that we've been seeing in MMO's for almost a decade. People will tire of it, and the hype will eventually fade.

I mean, it's no AoC, or Aion... but the game certainly isn't as good as the hype made it out to be. If you really want to give the game a chance, wait 6 months for Bioware to polish the game up, a lot. Bioware is a good company, but I think their inexperience with MMO's is far too obvious.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Deleted
    Why is it important? Enjoying the game (or not) should be enough, Jesus...

Judging by your "i played it on a weekend once in beta" I can only make this comment: You have to give the game its 1st chance before being able to give it a 2nd chance

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't level 1-60 1 shotting mobs with shadowstep ambush

Basically if you are a star wars fan then it's worth buying, if you like wow but don't want to play wow anymore buy it. If like cut scenes A LOT then buy it. Otherwise save your money and quit trolling.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did find a light sabre around level 10 if that is a difference worthy enough to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by drigoly View Post
    1. The story is good, however ls/ds points force you to play your character gooing super good or super evil, if you want all the rewards
    2. False, it only appears like that because you cant see the mountains which limit the zone like in wow
    3. combat animations are realy beatiful compared with other mmos, however cc abilities should leave a better to see animation on the affected enemy
    4. pvp balance needs a lot of work but i'm sattisfied with it compared with wow's pvp balance at the launch
    5. flashpoints are everything else then nicely difficult, sry but it is a fucking "pull everything together and bomb it" and i always did the flashpoints before reaching the suggested level to play them, in the six flashpoints i have seen so far, there was only one tricky encounter in them
    6. aye, but the awards for joining with other players to do heroic missions are a bit low, making them not worthy to play
    7. the combat mechanic is a bit out of date, only 2 ressources per class make it to easy to play (cooldowns + class ressource), wow did here a better job with cataclysm (owls balance, warlock shards, holy power, chakras,...)

To summ it all up, the story still makes the game more fun then wow did at anytime in the 7 years i have played it and i have high hopes that this game will become huge
    @ first post, this game is deffinetly not for you if you didn't enjoy it in the beta.
    The light/dark points are annoying for role playing, but the rewards for them are not a big deal ... I have like 2k light 1k dark points right now. The zones being in fact not as big as they appear to be ... they appear to be huge, to me it does not matter what the reality is. After Corruscant I was like no way in hell Taris will be this big ... Taris was bigger. And there are bigger planets than Taris. Some cc are hard to spot ... roots especially, I agree with that. The flash points ... if I compare them to wow leveling dungs they are hard ... or maybe not hard but interesting. Especially the cc is so fun to use. In WoW it was annoyance. The heroic missions people are spamming lfm all the time in chat ... you do them for the story, not for rewards.

The resource system for example scoundrel you stack/deplete upper hand stacks and carefully spend energy so you stay relatively high to keep the bonus regen. Feels like it beats holy power for example. Especially with all the I can burst and go to zero with energy and then suffer or I can use the last upper hand stack and lose bonus healing ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    I find funny that the only good thing(worthy enough to be mentioned by every player) i know about swtor is how awesome those quest are.
    I will try it when the game offers something more than "good" quests.
    I already have skyrim for that.

Omg some ppl dont get it:
    Better engine, better graphics,.better gameplay, better story, better crafting starships, companions, lightsabers.
    it doesn't have to revolutionize the industry, it just has to be better... Get it

---------- Post added 2011-12-27 at 02:43 PM ----------

I forgot: fastest selling mmorpg ever, over 1 million subscriptions, sry wow fanboys, nothing lasts forever.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn SWTOR! Chainsword are still better than the damn Light saber.....i am waiting for Dark Millenium online only.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    It's honestly hard to take any of these types of threads seriously.

They all seem to be threads just creatively finding ways to ask the same, tired, drama inducing questions that have been asked to death already.

'Oh hai, I hate sci-fi, I tried beta and hated it. Should I buy the game? Convince me why by intricately going through differences all the while keeping opinions out of it because adding "avoid flames" really stops people from doing so.'

LMAO! Or, you know... people could legitimately like something you don't. That happens from time to time.
    /THREAD X 1000

I'm honestly getting the feeling that alot of Blizz fanbois are just purposely going over to these specific forums creating ways to flamebait. And I agree, i've seen dozens upon dozens of these threads "Is ToR worth it?" , "Why should I leave WoW for ToR?", "What does ToR have that WoW doesn't?" in just the past week, is jumping around Org waiting for that LFR queue taking that long nowadays?

There actually isn't that much different at all between WoW and SWTOR when you get right down to it. Sure, SWTOR has voiceovers for levelling, but in the long run, once we get past the two weeks or so it takes to get to level 50...who cares? Probably the only truly "new" thing in SWTOR is the concept of companions, which may be a good thing.

Interestingly, the areas where SWTOR are better than WoW are almost all from omissions. No server transfers, no faction transfers, no name changes, no cross-server warzones, and most importantly, no LFD and no LFR. Those who are "in the know" have known for a long time that those are the things that completely ruined any sense of community in WoW, but I don't think many truly realized how bad those features were until we played a well-done WoW clone that doesn't have them. Now I'm sure SWTOR will add some (maybe even all of them) eventually, but for the time being it's really nice.

MOD EDIT AND NOTE:

Please do not make SWTOR vs WoW (or any incarnation of it) threads.

-----

It is the same genre as WoW, but it's its own game.

Important differences:

-Gameplay never lets you be without a group mechanic due to the companion.
    -Because of the above, most pulls are multi-pull even when soloing. Solo pulls are always a tougher mob. CC is often helpful even when soloing normal quests.
    -There's no auto-attack. The player must be pressing skills or nothing happens.
    -There are no pet classes. Companions are not pets, but party members almost as strong as you. You equip them.
    -You get a ship that can be geared up, and there's a Star fox mini-game far beyond the scope of WoW bombing runs.
    -Quests are a lot more dynamic and objectives can change based on your choices.
    -Heroic quests like mini-instances.
    -There is a relationship system which gives you unique quests to complete.
    -Everyone talks and dialogue is interactive. Despite what some trolls tell you, you can change the way some quests turn out based on your choices. Not ALL choices will change the quest; some are just for companion affection or fun.
    -You can play every single class in the game without ever repeating a main storyline.
    -There is no flying around.
    -Crafting can be done while you do other things. The crafting type where you pay fees to send companions on item hunts is nothing like anything in WoW.
    -Instances have bonus objectives and treasure chests (long missing from WoW).
    -PVP has an announcer.
    -PVP has a game type where you pass a ball (nothing like this in WoW).
    -My class (imperial agent) has an energy mechanic where you regenerate energy based on how much energy you have left. No resource system like this exists in WoW.

Off the top of my head...

---------- Post added 2011-12-27 at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    There actually isn't that much different at all between WoW and SWTOR when you get right down to it. Sure, SWTOR has voiceovers for levelling, but in the long run, once we get past the two weeks or so it takes to get to level 50...who cares? Probably the only truly "new" thing in SWTOR is the concept of companions, which may be a good thing.
    SWTOR is not just the same as WoW with someone reading you a block of text though. The quests are far more interactive than that, can change based on what you choose in some cases, and sometimes might include interaction with major characters or introduce people who will become your future shipmates and companions.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-28 at 02:26 AM.