Looking for a new case!

Hey guys,

First, I know that there are a million existing "help me find a case!" threads, but I figured mine was specific enough to warrant a new thread... I don't mean to cause forum clutter, but I didn't wanna get lost among the masses! Anyway, onto the point:

I picked up a number of upgrades for Christmas, and while I was installing them I realized that my current case (a Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Full Tower) is just way too big.

Honestly, the case isn't a bad case, it is a little annoying to work with the drive bays, but all-in-all I have few complaints, it has plenty of room, the air circulates nicely, and it came with numerous fans pre-installed.

The problem is, it is just too big. It is so large that I have a hard time plugging in the CPU power cable because it barely stretches from the PSU in the bottom of the case to the top of the motherboard. It is so large that I am reluctant to take it with me to LAN parties because it always takes at least two trips to get it and my monitor + peripherals from my apartment (on the third floor) to the car, and then from the car to my friend's houses (and then, of course, I have to pack it all back up again to take it home).

So, I'm looking for a mid-tower case that still has enough room to work comfortably and allow for good airflow and I was hoping you guys could help me out! I really admire the Fractal Design Define R3 that ||Demon||uses in his guide. I like that there are plenty of places to thread cables behind the motherboard, and I really like the way the drive bays are arranged, so that is the case I'm currently leaning towards (or a case similar to it, since it is out of stock on NewEgg).

That being said, I'm open to suggestions... What would you guys recommend? There's a link to my current build in my signature, but I thought I'd list it below so that you guys don't have to do too much work:

CPU: Intel i7 950 (Link)
    MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E (Link)
    GPU(1): MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti 2GB (Link)
    GPU(2): MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti 2GB (Link)
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Link)
    HDD: Western Digital Cavier Blue 500GB (Link)
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (Link)
    PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W Modular (Link)
    Case: Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Full Tower Case (Link)
    Monitor: 23" Acer H233H (Link)
    Mouse: Logitech M510 (Link)
    Keyboard: Logitech Illuminated (Link)

Thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    FD Arc Midi is an amazing, smaller case that should work well with all your listed components. It's great to build in, has excellent cooling dynamics, and is great on the eyes.

That is a nice case (assuming this is the right one)... I really like Fractal Design, I can't believe I had never heard of them before checking out ||Demon||'s guide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spend some time around Overclock.net, they love Fractal Design cases. In any case, I recommend that over any other case, save maybe the 400/500R until you get super high end.

What a coincedence, I was just reading this review on the Arc Midi and, at the end, he suggested taking a look at the 400R review... I was about to post and ask what you guys thought of that case, it looks sleek, and I like the white LED fans that are included.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a toss up really. Either one is great to build in, it's purely up to preference at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I love my HAF 912. A lot of people have complaints, BUT, I find it roomy enough, great cooling solutions, and JUST enough cable management, and is great for the price range.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, in my honest opinion, I hold the HAF 912 on a lower tier of cases than either the 400/500R and Fractal's cases. Fractal Design just looks way more clean and classy in my opinion. The HAF 912 seems to lack defining features.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I don't know, in my honest opinion, I hold the HAF 912 on a lower tier of cases than either the 400/500R and Fractal's cases. Fractal Design just looks way more clean and classy in my opinion. The HAF 912 seems to lack defining features.
    And what features would that be?

Has space for a ton of fannage, the backplates are extremely sturdy, has a ton of drive room, removable HDD cage, bottom mount PSU slot with opening for the fan, dust filters, removable back panel with CPU cutout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    And what features would that be?

Has space for a ton of fannage, the backplates are extremely sturdy, has a ton of drive room, removable HDD cage, bottom mount PSU slot with opening for the fan, dust filters, removable back panel with CPU cutout.
    All features present on budget cases. FD Arc Midi has removable/rotatable drive cage, integrated fan controller, support for 240MM Rad on top, more fan slots, more HDD slots, etc.
    (I think the 912 supports 240mm rads, but it's hit and miss. I've seen some component room issues.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    All features present on budget cases. FD Arc Midi has removable/rotatable drive cage, integrated fan controller, support for 240MM Rad on top, more fan slots, more HDD slots, etc.
    (I think the 912 supports 240mm rads, but it's hit and miss. I've seen some component room issues.)
    The 912 has a removable HDD cage, has room for 2X12 or 1X20 on the front and top, and 1X12/14 on the side, 1X12 on the back - that's quite a bit of fan.
    The 912 also has hosing holes on the back stock, and does support 240mm rads last I checked.

Anyhow, I digress - to the OP - the Fractal cases are quite nice, and I've yet to hear a bad thing about them. Any mid tower will do well, just look for the looks and features you find most important

Deleted
    I got the Silverstone Raven 3 and tbh i have been through a LOT of cases and never have i had a case that beats this in its price range.Its large the layout is awsome and the cooling and pure space inside is sick.Also it kinda forces you to do tidy cable managment.Well worth look at.

I ended up going with the Arc Midi, thanks for your help guys! =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Good choice. Enjoy your build!