Dual monitors, can i get some help?

So I got a new monitor for christmas and I wanted to use my old one to have a dual monitor setup. However, the old one exclusively uses VGA while the new one uses DVI. I have a 6870 in my system, and while I have 2 DVI ports, I still cannot get the computer to recognize the VGA monitor. I'm starting to doubt that I can use a VGA and DVI for a dual monitor setup.

FYI - I'm using a DVI to VGA cable for old monitor

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ember

I use a 5750 with dual monitors, 1 DVI and 1 VGA w/ the adapter, and I've not had any problems. Make sure you go into the Windows display properties and choose which monitor you want as your main one and it should work fine from what I know, unless I'm leaving something out.

Dumb question but, are your monitor drivers installed?

Benefits is correct. I use a 1 DVI/1 VGA setup just fine at work... Make sure that your computer is currently setup to use two monitors. To do so, just go to Control Panel and then Display, the steps differ from there depending on your version of Windows, but in Windows 7 it is:

Control Panel -> Display -> Change Display Settings (on the left side) and then "Multiple Displays". There are several options, if you want to do things on both you'd choose "Extended these displays".

Have you tried switching the cables around? This would tell you if the cables and/or the ports are damaged. If the cables are fine, switch the ports as one should be dual link and the other one will be single link. I doubt that makes a difference, but it is worth a shot to help figure out what the issue is.

Ok ran into an issue, so i went to control panel, display, change display settings, but there is no "multiple displays". It shows desktop 1 & 2, however, i cannot get it to recognize and utilize my 2nd display (vga). for instance, I selected desktop 1 and chose to extend displays. But it won't let me apply the changes, also, my vga monitor isnt getting a signal. any suggestions?
    Last edited by Emberhelm; 2011-12-28 at 12:24 AM.