Page 1 of 2
LastLast

For the Assassin's Creed games.

I was wondering if for the Assassin's Creed games you had to play the previous ones to understand the story?

Not necessarily, but I'd highly recommend it. It gets a little complex and has a lot of backstory to go through.

Really, you can ignore Assassins Creed 1.

I would recommend playing 2 and Brotherhood before Revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post

Exactly this.

15+ Year Old Account
    There may be some confusion if you skip a game but you will still enjoy it. I'd also highly recommend playing them in order (1 is the shortest so you could finish it quickly, but it's also simpler than the others so you may want to skip it to get into the more tuned sequels).
    The Allies would've definitely lost World War II if the Horde had taken part

Yes, you basically have to play the previous games to understand the story. I wouldn't even recommend skipping 1. Besides, AC1 is short if you just power through it without worrying about side stuff. You can easily beat it in a day.

Deleted
    I played about half of the first one but then I jumped on the second one, I'd really recommend playing it since it's really story heavy, havn't finished Brotherhood or Revelations yet so I can't talk about them.

Play them all, just dont judge all the games on the first one. The first one is a great game but repetitive as hell, the rest of the games do a good job mixing stuff up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post

This. 1 gives some backstory but you should be able to pick it up without playing, I still recommend playing it though and it should be very cheap at this point. Two, Brotherhood, and Revelations are sequential and follow the same main character.

10+ Year Old Account
    skip first i did i get the story completely

10+ Year Old Account
    Each game has a small summary of what's happened so far at the beginning when you start a new record, it's not much and doesn't fill you in with all the juicy details, but it does help(especially if you skip 1).

That said, if you decide to skip any, I'd skip 1 and 2 since some huge stuff goes down in Brotherhood at the end that you'd be like "wtf did I miss?" if you skipped it.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    Each game has a small summary of what's happened so far at the beginning when you start a new record, it's not much and doesn't fill you in with all the juicy details, but it does help(especially if you skip 1).

That said, if you decide to skip any, I'd skip 1 and 2 since some huge stuff goes down in Brotherhood at the end that you'd be like "wtf did I miss?" if you skipped it.

And the end of Assassins Creed 2 is pretty big. Introduces the Macguffin the entire series is now based on.

Deleted
    The 2nd part is amazing, truly. Brotherhood was close to amazing but not as good as the 2nd. Revelations is... i have no idea because i havnt played it yet. Just dosnt want Ezio to end his assassins creed career :/. Ive grown to attached to the man!

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    skip first i did i get the story completely
    You may understand the story if you skip 1, but it completely ruins the pacing. That's the unique thing about the first game, you don't really know what's going on until the big revelation at the end. It'd be like jumping into Lord of the Rings at the Council of Elrond. Yes, enough will be explained for you to understand what's going on. Without having experienced the backstory of the Silmarillion, the Hobbit, and the first half of Fellowship of the Ring, you'll be missing a lot of the context of the drama that went on behind the scenes.

It makes the story seem more shallow than it actually is.

When you're going through AC1, it's like you're uncovering little pieces of a picture. Then at the end, all the pieces fit together, and the mystery is revealed. If you just jump right into AC2, you're flat out told what the picture is, which immediately removes any sense of mystery. Way more exciting if you play 1 first imo.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-12-28 at 05:27 AM.

1 is just an intro. There is some relevant info that leads to 2, but nothing really important in the grand scheme of things.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Actually this video provide a pretty good and funny overview of the first game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYlPTYkvGw

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Actually this video provide a pretty good and funny overview of the first game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYlPTYkvGw
    Exactly my point. The game can be summed up rather easily, but it loses a lot of the meaning that way. It's much better if you figure things out for yourself imo.

Deleted
    Play the whole lot. It's REALLY worth it.

You certainly need 2 and Brotherhood to understand Revelations properly. There is a recap, but it's so short that it's meant as a reminder not as an introduction. The games have a deep story developing throughout them and it's not until you've played the first few that you go "Oh wow, this game isn't about jumping around the Old Kingdom/Italy killing people AT ALL!"

Play the first one as well. It's not as fun as the others because it's the first one and everything else has built on top of it. Once you've seen the later ones you'll not want to replay the first as the format was considerably improved upon. But play them in order and include the first. Don't bother going for the full synchonisations/100% completions, really you can complete each of the games in a couple of days.

Certainly worth playing the lot to understand the deeper, "hidden" storyline to it all before most of it is revealed in Revelations.

go 1-4

if u really wanna skip one...then the first

Nah not really. The lore isn't the biggest draw in these games; so you can easily play either.

But if you do care about the story or possible spoilers play them in order.