Up to $600

What all you plan to use it for:
    Just WoW and SC2 that's pretty much it.

What Operating system you want to use & Bit:
    Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit

What Resolution you hope to be in:
    1920x1080

What Settings do you Want & how much FPS:
    Medium to High if possible. As is I play WoW at Good/Medium settings but SC2 at Low/Mid.

What Country are you from:
    Canada

What can you re-use:
    My current 500w PSU (Enermax, Liberty), it's only about two years old and my current GPU which is also about a two years old.

Network will be wired or wireless:
    Wired

Any Additional Info Here:
    This is what I currently have in mind but I'm just trying to get some opinions:

CPU: Intel i3-2100 Dual-Core 3.10GHz 3M s1155
    MB: Asus P8Z68-V-LE sk1155 DDR3-1600 ATX
    RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX HyperX DDR3 (2x4GB)
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I'll also be picking up a mid-tower case and some fans plus I have a new disc drive I can use. In total from my local computer store it comes to about ~$540 with taxes, what do you guys think? My main goal is to get some more RAM as I currently only have 4GB and I'm stuck with it running Vista so more RAM and new OS. I figured I'd get a new processor and MB as well so down the road I can upgrade my GPU and PSU for some more power as my current MB and CPU are jank.
    Last edited by Shodai; 2011-12-29 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What GPU do you have? :S

You really want to replace the stock cooler on that CPU, it doesnt cool very well and sounds like idk..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heenksa33 View Post
    You really want to replace the stock cooler on that CPU, it doesnt cool very well and sounds like idk..
    That should be super low priority in his build.

Woops sorry forgot to include my GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4850

10+ Year Old Account
    Go for an i3 2100 + H61 motherboard to save some money. The 4850 is a pretty old graphics card, I'd consider looking at the 6850.

Deleted
    I'd change MBO and CPU for:
    Asrock p67 pro3 100$
    Intel i3 2100 124$ but as i c it, if you order b4 new years eve its 100$

Pretty much same price as amd option you had and it should run wow and sc2 better. Not by a big margin but still it gives you ability to upgrade easily later down the road. P67 boards should be compatible with Ivy Bridge (next get Intel processors) And i3 should run much cooler than Phenom x4

Looking at the i3 you guys recommended and the mobo there is almost no difference in price (less then $10 from my local computer store). Personally I'd rather stick with an AMD but is there actually that much difference in performance between the two? Also yeah I know my GPU is old but as is it's the newest thing in my setup next to my PSU. I know if I do purchase a new GPU I will also need a new PSU which as is buying both and everything else just isn't an option. Upgrading everything else now will probably result in a greater increase in overall performance (new CPU, double the RAM, and I'm sick of Vista and want W7 lol) and will allow me in a few months to upgrade the PSU/GPU. I'm going to grab the 6850 when I can xP

Deleted
    Anandtech tests Clearly i3 works better in sc2, just by a margin. More tests just confirm that. While being much, much cooler.

Take a look for wow performance here. There are test of older arhitecture (Clarkdale), new i3's (Sandy Bridge) are around 10%-20% better at pretty much everything. (TLDR: i3 2100 simply outperforms amd counterparts by ridiculous amounts)

Also when i3 2100 gets too slow for you in near/far future you can easily upgrade to i5 2500k or whatever ivy bridge architecture will offer at that point. Your gpu will suit you fine for time being as will your PSU. If you plan on upgrading to some mainstream gfx like 560/560ti or amd 6850/6870 you wont need new psu.

Well you convinced me. I'll defiantly be going with the i3 2100, so I'm thinking:

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V-LE sk1155 DDR3-1600 ATX
    CPU: Intel i3-2100 Dual-Core 3.10GHz 3M s1155

Like I said the price difference is nearly nothing and as you showed me better performance. Thanks!

So you really think I won't need to upgrade my 500w PSU to grab a new video card? I figured I probably would need to buy a new PSU if I wanted to upgrade to the 6850?
    Last edited by Shodai; 2011-12-29 at 12:34 AM.

Deleted
    Tests: 1, 2

Meaning even if you add new cpu in future(quad core i5) you should still be well under 400w in maximum load. and you wont even come near 400w while running stress tests like occt for gfx and prime 95 together, meaning while playing games u'r psu will sit around 300ish w load. With rare peaks to 350ish w.

Hmmm alright well that seems good then. Either way I'll have to wait to upgrade my GPU so for now I'll just be getting everything else and then sometime soon hopefully I can pick-up the 6850. Thanks so much for all the help!!