Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Same Weapons Forever?

I'm enjoying my time in Swtor. The newness hasn't worn off yet, but after seeing all the posts praising, bashing, nitpicking, etc there is one complaint I have that I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

The way the game works we pick out a class and use the exact same weapon forever. Not the same item statwise but the same item visually. Assassin will always have a dualsided lightsaber(colors may change), merc will always use 2 little pistols, jugg will always use 1 lightsaber, etc.

I know this makes sense. It's not like a sith/jedi is going to get to level 50 and get there hands on a lightmace or lightaxe, but alot of the appeal of rpgs in general is getting cool, new gear and if swtor lasts for 10 years and has 5 expansions my assassin will graphically have the exact same weapon the entire time.

For a jedi/sith using only lightsabers makes sense but the talents and ablities actually require specifically 1 lightsaber, dual wield, dualsided... and for the blaster classes the spec and abilites specify blaster pistol, blaster rifle, dual blasters, etc. Even when it would make sense to let you switch the class itself removes the choices.

Anyway, just a thought that occurred to me.

Deleted
    you are correct.

I agree with you to an extent. With blasters and vibroswords they can definitely make some cool artwork for the higher level stuff. Its going to be lightsabers that are the problem. Hopefully they start adding cool effects to the crystals or something. Like an unstable power crystal that has like lightning foing through it. Or one that has pulsing rings going up it of a slightly different color than the actual crystal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know one of my RL friends pre-ordered and and he got a lightsaber crystal or something that made the core of the blade black. Was quite badass looking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamite View Post
    I agree with you to an extent. With blasters and vibroswords they can definitely make some cool artwork for the higher level stuff. Its going to be lightsabers that are the problem. Hopefully they start adding cool effects to the crystals or something. Like an unstable power crystal that has like lightning foing through it. Or one that has pulsing rings going up it of a slightly different color than the actual crystal.
    They already have that, to an extent. The pre-order color crystal is black with a yelllow glow. It's ugly, but it's a step in the right direction as far as unique sabers go. It also shows that they can do it.

I preordered an have the yellow-black. It's neat and makes my gfs sith jealous but I didnt' mean color. I meant more choices than no choice.

Okay so my Sith Assassin is a master of the darkside and skilled in lightsaber combat. So apparently if you take away is dualsided lightsaber and hand him 2 1handers:

<Looks down at the lightsabers in each hand dumbfounded>
    "Now what the hell am I supposed to do with these?!?! They never trained me to use one in each hand!!!! Damn you Zash you failed me"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    They already have that, to an extent. The pre-order color crystal is black with a yelllow glow. It's ugly, but it's a step in the right direction as far as unique sabers go. It also shows that they can do it.
    http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_Crystal

The above link shows the 50 types of crystal in SWG. Everything from Kun's blood to Windu's guile. Sunrider's destiny to Dawn of Dagobah. If SWG managed to offer 50 colour crystals, TOR shouldn't settle for red, blue, green and purple

how about a lightsaber with a weak batery turning it into a lightwhip!. (fam guy ripoff from the old guy)
    There is really no reason to get mad in a discussion. Unless u dont understand basic logic then rage away

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drek View Post
    I'm enjoying my time in Swtor. The newness hasn't worn off yet, but after seeing all the posts praising, bashing, nitpicking, etc there is one complaint I have that I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

The way the game works we pick out a class and use the exact same weapon forever. Not the same item statwise but the same item visually. Assassin will always have a dualsided lightsaber(colors may change), merc will always use 2 little pistols, jugg will always use 1 lightsaber, etc.

I know this makes sense. It's not like a sith/jedi is going to get to level 50 and get there hands on a lightmace or lightaxe, but alot of the appeal of rpgs in general is getting cool, new gear and if swtor lasts for 10 years and has 5 expansions my assassin will graphically have the exact same weapon the entire time.

For a jedi/sith using only lightsabers makes sense but the talents and ablities actually require specifically 1 lightsaber, dual wield, dualsided... and for the blaster classes the spec and abilites specify blaster pistol, blaster rifle, dual blasters, etc. Even when it would make sense to let you switch the class itself removes the choices.

Anyway, just a thought that occurred to me.

We all know you only picked the weapon with the best stats anyways. It didn't matter what it was, as long as it had better stats.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, BW is attempting to shift the main focal point of the game away from item whoring, which is exactly what WoW does, and make the actual story the main selling point.

I'm actually ecstatic that, as a Jedi, all I really have to do is worry about swapping out the mods in my lightsaber every couple of levels. I don't have to go endlessly grind an instance for that one BiS weapon that never drops. I'm actually trying my damnedest to find GEAR I can do this with as well. Being able to mod gear and keep it all the way to 50 was one of the biggest selling points for me to switch to TOR. My Consular is currently wearing the Dancing gear from the Security Vendor :-) I'm certainly not complaining!

BW has actually found the happy medium between awesome gear, and being able to keep the same looks as long as you like. WoW gave us Transmogrification; in TOR, it's simply not needed. All of the moddable equipment I've found so far (opinions may vary) has actually looked really nice. So I haven't really had an issue with looking the same as I leveled, because I LIKED the way I looked.

Granted, I'm still used to playing games where your armor doesn't change your character's looks lol. Guess my age is showing.

I know what you mean. However, I think part of the reason they did it is to control balance. If you look at WOW, Blizzard has not had an easy time balancing dual vs two handed on classes like Warriors and DKs. Imagine if they had to balance every spec of every Jedi AC to use each light saber.

Well likely see some very cool and exotic pistol, rifle, vibro designs.

I guess this topic is about a month or two too early. Need to wait until most of the playerbase is sitting at 50 and realizing they just swapped their most recent lightsaber for yet another identical lightsaber. And players start asking BW why their Merc that can successfully manage to fire 2 blaster pistols simultaniously cannot manage to use a rifle.

Like I said, it's not a matter of needing alot of choices just a matter that there are no choices. Why can a marauder dual weild two lightsabers but not use a dualsided while a assassin can use dualsided but not dual weild singles. It's the only mmo i've ever seen that hands you one specifc weapon at level 10 that you never deviate from.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess this topic is about a month or two too early. Need to wait until most of the playerbase is sitting at 50 and realizing they just swapped their most recent lightsaber for yet another identical lightsaber. And players start asking BW why their Merc that can successfully manage to fire 2 blaster pistols simultaniously cannot manage to use a rifle.

Like I said, it's not a matter of needing alot of choices just a matter that there are no choices. Why can a marauder dual weild two lightsabers but not use a dualsided while a assassin can use dualsided but not dual weild singles. It's the only mmo i've ever seen that hands you one specifc weapon at level 10 that you never deviate from.
    Like I said there was never a choice to begin with. In those "other" games you talk about you never picked what you thought looked the best. You always took the weapon with the best stats for you. At least this way you can customize the weapon you have.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do agree, the lack of weapon type choices was a disappointement. My first toon was a BH, I couldnt believe I was only allowed to use pistols. No carbines, no rifles wtf? Its something I hope they open up in the future because I also rolled an IA just to be able to use a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Like I said there was never a choice to begin with. In those "other" games you talk about you never picked what you thought looked the best. You always took the weapon with the best stats for you. At least this way you can customize the weapon you have.
    Except not any more because of transmogrification :U

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    I know one of my RL friends pre-ordered and and he got a lightsaber crystal or something that made the core of the blade black. Was quite badass looking.
    That gets out-leveled fairly quickly unfortunately. I would almost prefer it to be a socket item itself with no stats, that can then be put in to a socket. That would allow you to use any crystal and keep the pre-order color.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Except not any more because of transmogrification :U
    You are still stuck to the same type of weapon. I.E. you can only make 1h swords look like 1h swords..

People needing specific lightsabers could explained away by saying that the style of combat they use revolves around those specific lightsabers.
    But, yeah, I would rather there be short lightsabers, long sabers, tonfa sabers, etc.

I dont think anything like that will happen in a loooooong time since it's pretty clear that Bio cheaped out when it came down to character variety. I dont think they are suddenly going to do a 180 and start pouring out unique animations for different sabers and guns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamite View Post
    Like an unstable power crystal that has like lightning foing through it. Or one that has pulsing rings going up it of a slightly different color than the actual crystal.
    Come on you are not serious are you? hahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    You are still stuck to the same type of weapon. I.E. you can only make 1h swords look like 1h swords..
    I thought the issue was that weapon models (most specifically light sabers) barely change at all from level one to level fifty