Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If this is the only complaint you have...the BW made one hell of a game.

I for one always hated that my Shadow Priest couldn't use a 2-handed sword or my Death Knight couldn't use a shield...

In WoW, if you are a rogue you will always dual wield, and never use a 2 hander. You could use one 1H, but a lot of you abilities use your OH.

If you are an Enh Shaman, same thing.

If you are a Pally you always use a 2H for DPS, 1H+Shield for tanking/healing. You can't suddenly dual-wield, or use staves.

If you are a Warrior, you are kinda the exception, Fury you can DW, Arms you can't. However, havn't seen an Arms War in a while.

If that's your complaint I don't get it. And I mean really, the difference between a 2H sword or a 2H axe is minimal. If you want to be able to choose sword or axe play WoW, this is Star Wars, we have Light Sabers, why would I want to use anything else?

The reason that those class-weapon restrictions are present, I believe, is because in a STORY BASED game the whole point to having a spec is to allow the player to be IMMERSED IN STORY. It just doesn't make sense that my assassin can use two 1h lightsabers. I followed the path of Darth Maul, I focused on his style of fighting, I am a Dark Lord of the Sith... Assassins. I don't know what to do with my two 1hrs. It will throw me off balance, and I need to be lithe. My combat style, the whole point of the class, is based on double blades.

Or try this point out. If I want to use a bow I play..... A HUNTER! Or if I want to stab people I play.... A ROGUE! Why? Because that's the whole point.

Or if that still doesn't work for you....
    Well, there's only so much they can put into a star wars game. The Sith aren't a bunch of masochists, they don't prance about in skintight leathers with their dominatrix lightfoil whips, and they don't chop people's heads off with axes. They are essentially force users that use traditional force weaponry..... Jedi with a grudge, if you will.
    Jedi don't stabbity people with light-spoons. Jedi don't smack people with light-shovels. It's just not right.

Will we use the same weapons forever though? Nah. I have the original double-bladed lightsaber hilt, the one with the two prongs. But later I found with really cool looking hilt with like a black leather grip adn darker metals. That was neat. I have decided to switch between the two for the hell of it. Also, don't forget that there ARE weapons that aren't moddable that look sweet. It's not too farfetched for a cannon to be considered a blaster rifle, here and there. It's not odd either that there can be a shorter bladed lightsaber or a longer vibroknife. Let's look at Khem Val for example; he uses vibroblades and his first was fricking SWEET. Then I game him this silly looking neon-tube-stick-thingy and even though it was a vibroblade it just wasn't as neat.
    "Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry." --Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time
    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." --Terry Pratchett, JiNGO
    TP, Godspeed

One of the things about the system though, is that it is perfectly acceptable to use your starting lightsaber etc all the way to level 50. And while you would use one lightsaber, or two lightsabers, or a dual-bladed lightsaber the entire time, what else would you use? If you read the canon than you would see that the jedi/sith WERE trained to use their desired style and focus on that as much as possible. While they could switch to something else if needed, they did not fight as well like that. For a good example look at Darth Maul. When he first fought Qui-gon he used one blade and did decent, but when he switched at the end he fought much better with both blades out, than later his fighting style got worse with just one blade. Just like soldiers in RL, if you train and use certain weapons most of your life, you might be able to pick up a new weapon and use it, you just won't be as good with it, and you certainly wouldn't be better just because you could swing it faster cause it has more haste and crit.

As far as visuals of lightsabers go, in the game there are all the mod-able lightsabers that drop, and the hilts do indeed look different from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Drek View Post
    The way the game works we pick out a class and use the exact same weapon forever. Not the same item statwise but the same item visually. Assassin will always have a dualsided lightsaber(colors may change), merc will always use 2 little pistols, jugg will always use 1 lightsaber, etc.
    Yep.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Because we all know that because a rogue can DW 1-handed swords, they can easily use 1 2-handed sword, amirite?

You people seem to have completely forgotten the basic rules of RPGs, and MMOs in general. Or, we can play the 'IRL' card; just because someone's an expert with two pistols does NOT mean he's an expert using a rifle. I myself can fire a rifle really well, so-so with one pistol, but two? Pfft, not a chance in hell I'd even hit my target.

There are weapon restrictions for a reason. Always has been, always will be. Why you thought this would be different in TOR is beyond me.
    You're right a rogue can dw 1handed swords and it makes no difference either you use swords or dagger in any spec amirite? Mut rogues always dw 1handed swords for their leet dps and combat always dw daggers.

Pistols aren't accurate at long range so it would make more sense to use a rifle for certain attacks but the point was the choice does not exist. The whole point was that they choose to limit every class the way they did. Okay fine your jedi/sith can only use one type of lightsaber because he's clumsy and would slice his head off using another and your merc can for some reason accurately aim 2 pistols at long range but a rifle is beyond his abilities. Didn't realize in a galaxy far far away that all these classes couldn't learn, adapt, or evolve.

Once again it was just an observation that was ahead of it's time. It's doesn't really bother me as far as my characters go but I just thought it was interesting they chose such a limiting path for character development.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Drek's observations - the visual style of your character's weapon is fairly static, partly due to game design decisions and partly due to the nature of the SW setting.

Different games and settings allow for your character to use a wide variety of weapons as you advance through the levels. One level you may have a staff with skulls and feathers on it; two weeks later you might be using a dagger that looks like a severed tentacle, and holding an ancient leather-bound book in your other hand. Or you might replace your flaming sword with a glowing stone mallet.

This lack of variation will be utterly insignificant for many players; but others may feel a little bit of 'stagnation' or boredom. Only time will tell if this becomes a significant issue!

Because we all know that because a rogue can DW 1-handed swords, they can easily use 1 2-handed sword, amirite?

You people seem to have completely forgotten the basic rules of RPGs, and MMOs in general. Or, we can play the 'IRL' card; just because someone's an expert with two pistols does NOT mean he's an expert using a rifle. I myself can fire a rifle really well, so-so with one pistol, but two? Pfft, not a chance in hell I'd even hit my target.

There are weapon restrictions for a reason. Always has been, always will be. Why you thought this would be different in TOR is beyond me.
    While I don't agree with him entirely, I do understand where he's coming from. Rogue's can't dual wield 2 2H swords but they do have access to a variety of swords, axes, maces, daggers, and fist weapons combinations that will work in either hand. Dual wielding BHs can only ever use Pistols. I could certainly see how that could feel stale after awhile.

I see it being problematic for the Jedi. However, they could def justify giving the non-force users some more variety. Powertechs could get Bowcasters, Smugglers given powermaces, IAs vibroknucks, ect.
    Last edited by nazrakin; 2011-12-28 at 08:27 PM.

I don't mind so much that you are stuck with the same style of weapon, I just wish you could change the look of it some. I don't like that I'm confined to 4 types of color crystals, I want to personalize my lightsaber. Surely BW can design something that looks badass that I can put in my lightsaber to make myself look unique? With that being said, I don't have any ideas on what that would be, but surely their design team (down the road of course, they are busy right now) can put something together.

Quote Originally Posted by sivenom View Post
    The reason that those class-weapon restrictions are present, I believe, is because in a STORY BASED game the whole point to having a spec is to allow the player to be IMMERSED IN STORY. It just doesn't make sense that my assassin can use two 1h lightsabers. I followed the path of Darth Maul, I focused on his style of fighting, I am a Dark Lord of the Sith... Assassins. I don't know what to do with my two 1hrs. It will throw me off balance, and I need to be lithe. My combat style, the whole point of the class, is based on double blades.

Immersion huh? So for 10 levels you use a cattleprod, which is replaced with a single 1handed lightsaber. And your path to becoming a lithe Dark Lord, master of the dualsided lightsaber is talking to some dude that puts a bag in your inventory. You take your new Darth Maul lightsaber out of your bag and BAM you are an expert at using it. That's deep and meaningful right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drek View Post
    I preordered an have the yellow-black. It's neat and makes my gfs sith jealous but I didnt' mean color. I meant more choices than no choice.

Okay so my Sith Assassin is a master of the darkside and skilled in lightsaber combat. So apparently if you take away is dualsided lightsaber and hand him 2 1handers:

<Looks down at the lightsabers in each hand dumbfounded>
    "Now what the hell am I supposed to do with these?!?! They never trained me to use one in each hand!!!! Damn you Zash you failed me"
    Makes perfect sense. You will always get better results with the weapon you train the most with. Masters devote themselves to being the best that they can be at a single weapon.

Imagine you are a medieval knight. You practice your whole life with a sword, you are very good at using your sword. Do you drop your sword for a shiny axe that you find?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwun View Post
    Come on you are not serious are you? hahhaha
    Ummm Yeah I am, they did this in force unleashed and they looked very cool. I am not talking over the top lightning effects but subtle power surges on the beam. And the pulsing ones looked awesome as well. They could easily add something like this to give more variety to us saber users. But i apologize that offended you in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Makes perfect sense. You will always get better results with the weapon you train the most with. Masters devote themselves to being the best that they can be at a single weapon.

Imagine you are a medieval knight. You practice your whole life with a sword, you are very good at using your sword. Do you drop your sword for a shiny axe that you find?
    So using a 1handed weapon all through your training prepares you to use a 2handed weapon rather than a 1handed weapon....makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    This lack of variation will be utterly insignificant for many players; but others may feel a little bit of 'stagnation' or boredom. Only time will tell if this becomes a significant issue!
    Years of news articles and threads about the new tier gear, weapon models, etc. in WoW, not to mention the excitement around Transmog, seem to indicate that players don't want to look like everyone else around them. There are already complaints about the uniformity of the races in TOR, and I expect the players there will feel the same way about gear one more of them hit endgame.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

15+ Year Old Account

But that rogue isn't limited to 1h swords, they can swap to 1h axes, or daggers. All of which look different from each other. A hunter can swap from a bow to an xbow to a gun, yet my Agent uses rifles and rifles alone.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

different game in different rules shocker. more news at 11.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure Jedi don't hop off their ships at every other planet they visit and ask if they can buy a new lightsaber, this one just doesn't look right with his robes anymore. Jedi keep their sabers until they are disabled in some way. I'm extremely glad I don't need to change my weapons out all the time, all I need to do is keep up with the mods and I'm good to go.

Your character is specially trained in a given fighting style (sniping, dual-wielding, etc.). Why would you use a weapon that is significantly less powerful in order to do your job? Ninjas kill things with swords, not butter knives.
    You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinjersey View Post
    If this is the only complaint you have...the BW made one hell of a game.
    Why do people say things like this?
    Are they honestly so dense that they think the fact that this topic is about a single topic instead of everything means that it is literally the poster's only complaint?
    He even mentioned in the OP that it wasn't his only complaint

One thing I have noticed recently is the massive variation in Lightsaber sound effects. I've actually collected a few moddable sabers that I switch between just for the different sound effects. The differences between sound vary from slight, to major. I'm actually kind of a fan of the limit in weapon choices, because it seems clear why Bioware did it. While some of the player choice is taken away, it allows them to solidify class identity, which is one of the things I feel died in WoW. One of my favorite things about SWTOR so far is that you actually feel like the class you're playing (not just because of the story, but because of the playstyle and abilities). While I agree more options would be a really good idea, I understand why the limit is there in the first place, and I kind of support it. Because all of my class abilities are tailored to this weapon style, the abilities themselves become more unique from class to class. That's just my person experience so far.
    Last edited by noahjam326; 2011-12-28 at 09:30 PM.

Rainbow colored sabers, totally.