Poll: Do you think we should have a LFG system?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I want the taxi to the flashpoint and back from a LFD tool.

The aspect of actually finding a group is less important for me, i'm usually capable of doing so myself, but the extensive travel (also fighting through obstacles) time sucks greatly.

A global LFG channel wouldn't hurt.

That said i'm not opposed to a full fledged LFD tool either.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    MMO is meant to be played by getting you forced to camp a place for an hour+ doing nothing else but yelling while trying to find other players instead of get in an automated queue that will search players for you while you can enjoy doing numerous other things.

Makes sense yes.
    Pulled that "hour+ doing nothing else" out of your ass? So gathering a group now takes MINIMUM an hour? Also you are absolutely pinned down and cannot perform any other action while you are gathering a group, yes? You can't talk to other people, your guildies, your friends, you can't play the market game, you can't craft? As for nothing to do while looking for a group, a simple global LFG channel would solve that.

Just because you can't stand putting atleast a bit of effort into gathering a group, doesn't mean others can't/won't. This is a great example of mentality of a today's WoW spoiled "MMO" player. Who gives a fuck about community right, when you can spend every second of your gaming time upping your stats? Who cares about getting friends to help you, when you can just use some tool and instantly get a group of random people, who probably act like asses and don't care whether they ninja all the shit that's dropped, because you're a randomer to them too and will probably never meet them again. Who cares about names and other players, when all you do is group with random people who mostly don't give a shit about you either.
    I despise MMO players of today. You ruin the community. All you care about is maxing your performance in the time you get to play the game. That's why the community of WoW so terribly fucking sucks.
    Instead, why don't we just use a LFG tool for everything, play with complete strangers all the time. Remove general chat while we're at that, because why would we need to talk to eachother if we don't play together. It's just like playing a roombased game, go to lobby, get random people, do some instance. NOT AN MMO.

Thus my statement of playing an MMO the MMO way. If you want WoW's LFG tool, you essentially want to play a room based game, you don't give a shit who you group with, as long as they can get you through the instance so you can have better stats.

Prime example of a "bad for community" player:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gybano View Post
    Who seriously gives a flipping turd about that? Oh no, I'm accountable for my actions in a videogame from other nameless losers who think they're right in some pitiful way. I only care about how fast I can get in a dungeon and get it done all at my own time and not at the dispense of others around me. I have no time to wait on people like I did in WoW back in 2005-2009 and the faster BioWare implements this system the happier I'll sooner be.
    Last edited by Grable; 2011-12-29 at 11:07 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    man, thats quite a tunnel vision you got there. Not everybody enjoys to do the sum of the things you just mentioned for more then an hour. It's not just about the stats, it's experiencing the FP and i don't care with who i do that with. When i log in with my scarce time, i want to do a quick FP. With the current setup it's very hard to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I want a LFD queue system just like in wow. It's one of my favorite features since it allows me to look for a group while doing something in the world. For me, LFD actually lowered my time running circles in SW/ORG when I played wow.

If the queue times are too long, make it cross-server, else, server only.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Pulled that "hour+ doing nothing else" out of your ass? So gathering a group now takes MINIMUM an hour? Also you are absolutely pinned down and cannot perform any other action while you are gathering a group, yes? You can't talk to other people, your guildies, your friends, you can't play the market game, you can't craft? As for nothing to do while looking for a group, a simple global LFG channel would solve that.

Just because you can't stand putting atleast a bit of effort into gathering a group, doesn't mean others can't/won't. This is a great example of mentality of a today's WoW spoiled "MMO" player. Who gives a fuck about community right, when you can spend every second of your gaming time upping your stats? Who cares about getting friends to help you, when you can just use some tool and instantly get a group of random people, who probably act like asses and don't care whether they ninja all the shit that's dropped, because you're a randomer to them too and will probably never meet them again. Who cares about names and other players, when all you do is group with random people who mostly don't give a shit about you either.
    I despise MMO players of today. You ruin the community. All you care about is maxing your performance in the time you get to play the game. That's why the community of WoW so terribly fucking sucks.
    Instead, why don't we just use a LFG tool for everything, play with complete strangers all the time. Remove general chat while we're at that, because why would we need to talk to eachother if we don't play together. It's just like playing a roombased game, go to lobby, get random people, do some instance. NOT AN MMO.

Thus my statement of playing an MMO the MMO way. If you want WoW's LFG tool, you essentially want to play a room based game, you don't give a shit who you group with, as long as they can get you through the instance so you can have better stats.
    Trust me, there's nothing to do on the fleet. Chatting with guildies can be done absolutely anywhere without you sitting there spamming chat looking for a group and crafting takes so long for decent projects that you do a click every half hour to an hour+. These things do not preoccupy you very well. I didn't meet my new online guildies or friends spamming chat on the fleet, I met them doing some dailies on Ilum. This type of occurrence is common now because it's a fresh game but later on it will dwindle as the game ages. A LFG tool is not a bad thing just because you perceive it as "destroying the community".

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    The system in it self isn't the issue so much as the anonymity the cross realm with millions of others is, if it stays server based you are still accountable for your actions as you will see those people again.
    I agree with this.

Server community should be encouraged, cross-server should be avoided for the above reason. So a LFG system is fine (good infact - no one wants to spend their game time spamming a public chat channel), not sure where I stand on teleports (probably a no - I would prefer people use the world).

Quote Originally Posted by Taxton View Post
    man, thats quite a tunnel vision you got there. Not everybody enjoys to do the sum of the things you just mentioned for more then an hour.
    Tunnel vision? I didn't say everybody enjoys to do that, infact, the point was that most of the WoW players are so spoiled that they would hate not having LFG tool. And AGAIN, "for more than an hour", seriously? Does every grouping process take more than an hour for you, because I seriously can't imagine where you guys pull this number from.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxton View Post
    It's not just about the stats, it's experiencing the FP and i don't care with who i do that with. When i log in with my scarce time, i want to do a quick FP. With the current setup it's very hard to do that.
    A fine example of a player I described in my previous post. Don't give a shit as long as you run the FP. Also, the FP experience is only fresh for the first time, after that it's gear grind. Also go on a more populated server if it takes you such a long time to gather a group?
    Last edited by Grable; 2011-12-29 at 10:39 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gybano View Post
    Who seriously gives a flipping turd about that? Oh no, I'm accountable for my actions in a videogame from other nameless losers who think they're right in some pitiful way. I only care about how fast I can get in a dungeon and get it done all at my own time and not at the dispense of others around me. I have no time to wait on people like I did in WoW back in 2005-2009 and the faster BioWare implements this system the happier I'll sooner be.
    You seem to be the very definition of what's wrong with WoW's LFG/LFR then, I sincerely hope BioWare never implements a cross server version so you and anyone that thinks like you can crawl back to insta-gratification hellhole that is WoW.

I'm absolutely despise the idea of LFG system in its WoW implementation. Also, it generally makes no sense to me why do I want to have anything like it.

The main point is that it takes almost no time to gather four right specced people for any flashpoint. I've been there about five times and the longest time I had to spam LFM messages was a few minutes. Also, I love the feeling that Imperial Fleet gives (use your imagination). I find it to be very atmospheric and making me feel like I'm there myself with other Imperial mates, flying on the giant space station somewhere in space. Fascinating! Also, it's convenient to put something on AH while LFGing for some flashpoint.

So, definitely NO for LFG system.

P.S. I play on RP-PvP server Lord Calypho and it's highly populated and playing there within a mature community, smoothly enjoying the unique feel that game gives to us, the Star Wars fans, shouldn't be crushed by the freaking LFG system.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveJohnKimble View Post
    To imply that mass appeal games are 'meant' to be played in specific manners is foolish.
    not really.

i used to drive along roads in flight sims just to see if i could. fun as it was it was still the wrong way to play the game.

games have different design and gameplay aims. to suggest that every game is somehow aiming for a universal homogeneity is nonsense.

in gears of war you hide behind things. in duke nukem you don't. the design aims and developer intent for gameplay for one game can be completely different in another.

mmos are no different.

neither of these games, swtor or wow, are "sandbox" games in any way which is about the only circumstance under which your statement could be applied to an mmo. both are themepark games. you paid the entry fee and you have a choice of themed rides but that's it. if you don't like the rides on offer go to another park. that's just the way things are. people like different things.

the idea that "one size fits all" that has been ingrained in this market by WoWs dominance is actually not a good thing or a natural state y'know.
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-12-29 at 12:25 PM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish people wouldn't confuse LFD and LFG.

SWTOR has an LFG system.

WoW has an LFD system (and LFR now).

These are different things. SWTOR's devs clearly want to avoid a cross-realm LFD-type system, and I think that's sensible. However, what isn't sensible is how crap the ability to find people to a dungeon is. SWTOR needs a better, faster, more simple tool to make you able to add people to your group, or to flag for a group. It doesn't need to be fully automated or anything, but it does need serious improvement.

What I'd suggest is something like WoW's LFD, VISUALLY, where you select your role, and you select the dungeons you'd like to do (or other content), from a drop-down list, and press a button to indicate that you are LFG. People should be able to view a list of players who are LFG, narrowing it down by the content they're interested in, what roles are needed and so on (it should also say if they've been afk for more than three minutes, I'd suggest), and there should be a button to send a tell to the person as well as a group invite. I'd also suggest way to "summon" them, as otherwise it can take a long time to get to the right place, and the Fleet Pass only works what, once every 16 hours?

SWTOR is going to need to make changes as time goes on. It can afford to work this way for at least a few months, maybe as long as two years, but sooner or later, the low-level population will thin out, and the only solutions will be a vastly improved LFG system (with summoning), an LFD system, or massively boosting companions (and giving them a bit of AI).

I seriously hope they don't implement an lfg system. Before the lfg in wow, if you played well and weren't a jerk in groups, people would friend you and look for you later to run more. Now there are no repercussions for acting like a douche in groups because you will never see your group again.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    A thousnand times no. People have become accustomed to having things handed to them by game manufacturers.

Finding a group now does take more social interactions than a lfg system would require. I know "spamming 'lfg for athiss'" doesn't seem like it would be a meaningful interaction, but you need to consider that in making a group more difficult, people will pay more attention to who they are grouped with, and decide whether or not they are someone to group with again. It's one way to gain a great (or horrible) reputation on your server, so people will learn to have manners and treat others with a modicum of respect if they want future groups. a lfg system simply takes server reps out of the equation.

Deleted
    What I would like is something similar to WoW's LFG tool from back in the day (TBC I think - no cross-server). You open a window, select your role and quests/flashpoints/PvP/operations you want to do. You would then show up in that window for everyone else (including those that did not select the same thing as you - just make a good sorting system). You'd still have to talk to people, invite them, travel etc. The only problem that can occur is people won't even know it's there. I don't know why but from my experience people won't use such tools unless it gives badges and still complain it takes ages to get into a group -.-

This system would preserve player interaction without it being hop in/hop out like WoW's LFD. I really hope they go along this route and promote the hell out of it on loading screens, developer blog, forum posts and even in the launcher.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystwind View Post
    I seriously hope they don't implement an lfg system. Before the lfg in wow, if you played well and weren't a jerk in groups, people would friend you and look for you later to run more. Now there are no repercussions for acting like a douche in groups because you will never see your group again.
    This is true, but if WoW had implemented BattleTags before LFD, it wouldn't be a problem, because people would assemble groups via BattleTag friends most of the time anyway. However, they went the RealID route, and as 95% of people have a problem with random strangers knowing their real name and email address, they failed to establish the community the envisaged.

---------- Post added 2011-12-29 at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    a lfg system simply takes server reps out of the equation.
    A cross-server LFD system does. A server-specific one wouldn't.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that it is a must, but I wouldn't mind a LFD being added as long as it isn't cross server. We've already seen how that destroys the community.

Deleted
    I'm confused, and still umming-and-ahhhing over whether to try this game or not. Reading this thread, am I right in thinking that this game doesn't have the equivalent of "guilds" or similar ways of forming moderate pools of friends/acquaintances who would be up for doing group activities? Is it more like WoW is now, as opposed to how it used to be, in that it's a single-player game where you occasionally have to tolerate other so-called "people" in order to get what you want?

Seriously, anyone who can enlighten me about their experiences of guild activity - that would be great. I don't want to make any "best friends forever", but nor do I really want to play another MMO game all alone again and having to rely on anonymous automatons who I will never speak to again either with or without an LFG/LFD tool.

I don't think any MMO needs an LFG system, what they need is a better way of inspiring guilds or groups of "friends" to do enjoyable content together, rather than encourage everyone to play in isolation and rely on lobby/matchmaking tools.

Deleted
    I cant understand why people are against a LFD tool. If you dont like it, then you dont need to use it.
    I can agree that a LFD system that is cross-server could do some damage, but that will most likely not happen. A easy way to find group for a Flashpoint while questing/farming/grind should be something most people would be able to enjoy.
    Thoose who dont enjoy it could just skip using it and continue their LFG spam on (R/I)Fleet.

If it will be implemented i will most likely not use it anyway, but if I for some reason would like to have a random in my group or cant get a group with my friends then I would like that tool to exist. As I explained earlier, I think it is a must more or less for the survival of the game. So something will be implemented, sooner or later..

Deleted
    If it is within the same server and everyone are still forced to move their ass on their own, I'm all for it. But they could really just add a global LFG channel for all I care. Yes I know it might be abused and become a general chat like in WoW, but it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    I cant understand why people are against a LFD tool. If you dont like it, then you dont need to use it.
    I can agree that a LFD system that is cross-server could do some damage, but that will most likely not happen. A easy way to find group for a Flashpoint while questing/farming/grind should be something most people would be able to enjoy.
    Thoose who dont enjoy it could just skip using it and continue their LFG spam on (R/I)Fleet.

If it will be implemented i will most likely not use it anyway, but if I for some reason would like to have a random in my group or cant get a group with my friends then I would like that tool to exist. As I explained earlier, I think it is a must more or less for the survival of the game. So something will be implemented, sooner or later..
    Thing is, it isn't as simply to simply ignore using it. If it was introduced pretty much everyone would use it, and it would be even more impossible to not use it and attempt to find a group on your own.

My reasons for being against a cross serving teleporter is because it immedietly removes your sense of reputation on the server, you can do anything and get away with it.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2011-12-29 at 01:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I'm confused, and still umming-and-ahhhing over whether to try this game or not. Reading this thread, am I right in thinking that this game doesn't have the equivalent of "guilds" or similar ways of forming moderate pools of friends/acquaintances who would be up for doing group activities? Is it more like WoW is now, as opposed to how it used to be, in that it's a single-player game where you occasionally have to tolerate other so-called "people" in order to get what you want?

Seriously, anyone who can enlighten me about their experiences of guild activity - that would be great. I don't want to make any "best friends forever", but nor do I really want to play another MMO game all alone again and having to rely on anonymous automatons who I will never speak to again either with or without an LFG/LFD tool.

I don't think any MMO needs an LFG system, what they need is a better way of inspiring guilds or groups of "friends" to do enjoyable content together, rather than encourage everyone to play in isolation and rely on lobby/matchmaking tools.
    You can network with guilds and a friends list and so forth. The game actually rewards you for grouping.