Building a new PC - Could use a second look at my list before I pull the trigger!

Hey all,

So I've specced out a new PC and wanted to get some thoughts on it before I pull the trigger on it. Namely, do I have a decent combination going here? I didn't want a crazy machine, but something around middle of the line that'll play the latest games decently. Here's what I got so far:

Sorry.. I don't have sufficient posts to actually have links to these items. :/

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel $139.99
    Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $219.99
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $209.99
    Mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $74.99
    Video: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $249.99
    HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s $109.99
    CPU Fan/Heatsink: COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler $59.99
    DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner $19.99
    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V $119.99

I'd also love to know if there's a component I could go cheaper on and not lose any performance.

Thanks!

Processor do yourself a favor for a few bucks more, get a 2500k not the normal 2500, also the sabertooth motherboard(altho good) is pretty expensive if you plan on sticking with the 2500, as it's kinda made for overclocking wich you can not do on the 2500 (only k models can be overclocked) You could check out a asus delux motherboard with a z68 chipset if you want price/performance ratio to be a bit better. Also the graphics card you selected seems a bit overpriced, other brands will probably have it a bit cheaper.

Then the case, it's what you like but there are cheaper ones with same options as what you have selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't be life-changing savings, but you won't use 16GB of RAM. If you're doing some hardcore shit, go with 12GB. If you're just gaming and recreationally using your computer (IE: Not video editing or doing anything crazy) 8GB will be enough.

Honestly, though, pretty good build. Although I wouldn't call it a "middle of the line" gaming computer.... That's a really high middle of the line gaming computer. If you're only going for medium graphics settings on games you can go way below what you have on alot of that, but you don't seem too concerned about your budget so...carry on!
    Last edited by Mr Gnomage; 2011-12-29 at 09:07 AM.

- Can get cheaper case
    - Can get cheaper motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V Pro for example has more features)
    - Get unlocked 2500K processor instead or you can never OC
    - Can get just 2x4GB of RAM, 16GB is just overdoing it. Also get 1600MHz RAM instead of 1333MHz, same price but better for OC
    - There are cheaper options for graphics card, should get either MSI Twin FrozrII or some 448-core 560ti
    - CoolerMaster V8 heatsink is overrated and oversized. CM Hyper212+ is almost as good (within few degrees C) at half price

---------- Post added 2011-12-29 at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gnomage View Post
    If you're just gaming and recreationally using your computer (IE: Not video editing or doing anything crazy) 8GB will be enough.
    I'm currently editing videos of WoW bosskills and HDV digital camera recordings with 8GB RAM and never had more than 6GB memory usage so far. So yeah, 8GB will be more than enough.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    - Can get cheaper case
    - Can get cheaper motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V Pro for example has more features)
    - Get unlocked 2500K processor instead or you can never OC
    - Can get just 2x4GB of RAM, 16GB is just overdoing it. Also get 1600MHz RAM instead of 1333MHz, same price but better for OC
    - There are cheaper options for graphics card, should get either MSI Twin FrozrII or some 448-core 560ti
    - CoolerMaster V8 heatsink is overrated and oversized. CM Hyper212+ is almost as good (within few degrees C) at half price

---------- Post added 2011-12-29 at 11:07 AM ----------

I'm currently editing videos of WoW bosskills and HDV digital camera recordings with 8GB RAM and never had more than 6GB memory usage so far. So yeah, 8GB will be more than enough.
    Yeah, I run all my games and everything on 4GB of RAM, but a little over-kill never hurt, and 8GB is barely more than 6GB of RAM these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Vesseblah has it right here, and I would add one last thing. Get Caviar Black not Blue for your HDD. I think it will be ~$10 more, but is better performance.

As an aside, the case really is a preference thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Awesome, thank you so much! Yeah I don't do much video editing, but I do use Maya for character animation on my system. I think that's mostly video card intensive, but I could be wrong. I'm comfortable assembling the PC and setting it up and stuff, but for some reason overclocking really scares the crap out of me, so I don't think I'll venture into that. That in mind, I think I will do the Asus Z68 mobo, and look to drop down on the memory. I'll check out some of those options for a cheaper videocard and maybe a cheaper case.

Thanks again!