ret - crit or mastery

im using all mastery right now i do a ton of dmg right now but if crit is even better might be a good idea to swap, also would help my word of glory to crit as well

10+ Year Old Account
    I think mastery is the way to go for PvP and PvE, dont quote me on it though.

Deleted
    For damage crit and mastery complement each other well, but mastery does absolutely nothing towards your heals, dots, judgement and autoattack

Mastery > Crit the real question is Crit or haste? for the 2nd secondary stat imo

thought this was for PvE sorry
    though for PvP I would go mastery aswell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I think mastery is the way to go for PvP and PvE, dont quote me on it though.
    PvE is mastery all the way when compared to crit, that's for sure, as for PvP I personally enjoy mastery quite a lot as well but crit is basically on par with it, from what I gather. I don't usually play retribution for anything other than some fun so I'm not the best person to answer but Vanguards seems to be using full on crit this season, you're probably better off copying him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex304 View Post
    Mastery > Crit the real question is Crit or haste? for the 2nd secondary stat imo
    Haste is absolutely useless, I'd say.

ya i literally just looked him up b4 making this thread and saw he was all out crit so it got me wondering

I'd personally go for Crit as Ret, since it affects everything you do as opposed to Mastery only boosting the damage of your CS and TV.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    I'd personally go for Crit as Ret, since it affects everything you do as opposed to Mastery only boosting the damage of your CS and TV.
    This basically. Especially if you spec for WoG in the holy tree as well. Crit affects all your attacks and all your healing. Mastery only affects CS and TV.
    This is for PvP, for PvE go mastery all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

The point on crit over mastery for pvp is a good one. When you cant guarantee 3 hopo are going to TV every time it becomes a wasted stat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    TV and CS are your top damage, so boosting them is significant. Although I don't rule out the importance of crit, I simply feel mastery gives me more. Ofcourse this is personal and purely based on PvE experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    mastery, because 4k+ resil is going to nerf all your crit to the ground and pure dmg bonus to your 2 main attacks is going to be better. With reforging I generally leave crit alone and reforge everything else to mastery and I come out at 5% hit, 8-10% crit, and 14pts mastery. It does the job well...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    mastery, because 4k+ resil is going to nerf all your crit to the ground and pure dmg bonus to your 2 main attacks is going to be better. With reforging I generally leave crit alone and reforge everything else to mastery and I come out at 5% hit, 8-10% crit, and 14pts mastery. It does the job well...
    Resilience no longer affects crit chance. You also seem to forget that crit boosts your TV and CS as well. (while also benefiting your WoGs, seal damage, judgements, Exorcism and so on)
    WCL

I went all crit this season as per Vanguards' guide. It's definitely more versatile than mastery is in PvP. I can't count how many times I've topped off myself or other players (who do way more damage than Ret I might add) who were about to die with a 3 HP Word of Glory, likewise, critting with a TV (even with low mastery) still hits hard.

Full mastery was definitely more reliable damage wise, but your odds at surviving go down. And your mastery doesn't do you any good if you can't land TV's on a target that is kiting/cc'ing you.

Mind you I had an Improved HoJ spec when I was reforging mastery, and with my gear reforged to crit I spec'd into Last Word.

Mastery is the way to go due to HoL procs, Zealotry, and during Bloodlust/Heroism. There is an inflection point where crit pulls ahead of Mastery, but only when Mastery reaches a certain level.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    Mastery is the way to go due to HoL procs, Zealotry, and during Bloodlust/Heroism. There is an inflection point where crit pulls ahead of Mastery, but only when Mastery reaches a certain level.
    It certainly is this way in PvE, but seeing as how damage isn't the only thing you should be worrying about in PvP, it isn't as simple as this.
    WCL

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    reforge everything into mastery
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    reforge everything into mastery
    Wrong and bad advice. This is a PvP thread