Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation GTX 560 worth $220? or save for a expensive card (2 Years needed)

Sorry in advance for the weirdly arranged topic, with a sentence on every line.

I picked up my dell computer about 1 1/2 almost 2 years ago with a GTS 240 which is a card specifically built for Dell nVidia users.

This thing runs great, I've been really happy with it, now I believe it is time to pick up a new card.

*It ran wow on max graphics
    *ran starcraft II on almost ultra without shadow
    *Skyrim on high graphics, without shadows.

I was looking at the gtx 560 ti superclocked.

and it comes out to about $220.

is it worth the investment for this card, or can I save up for an even better one. I want to get a new rig, in 2 years so that's all I ask for it to survive through.

I was looking at the 570, but it's like $300, and the 580 is $500, and $590 is ridiculous.

Current setup:

i7-920 processor
    6gb ram ddr3 trichanneled
    gts 240 (OEM)
    1tb harddrive

23.5" monitor (1920x1080)
    hey im gud

The GTX 560ti is considered to be the bottom rung of the "high performance" ladder by most (anything below the 560 is considered mid-range at best), so yes, it is worth the $220... They are the best "bang for your buck" NVIDIA card on the market at the moment. Of course, a GTX 570 will obviously yield better performance than a single 560 will, but I don't think it is worth the price difference... Here's a comparison of the 560ti and 570 benches: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=306

I recently picked up two MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti 2GB and I'm loving them (even though they're not in SLI yet). I was finally able to set WoW to Ultra + 8x Multisampling and not see a drastic decrease in performance (I was using a GTX 465 previously).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-29 at 07:10 PM.

Deleted
    Just go ahead with 560ti, you'll be fine in games you mentioned.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The GTX560 Ti is one of the best price to performance video cards you can pick up. However it will require a suitable power supply to run it. Please make sure your power supply meets 80+ certification and the required wattage for the video card.

As Culadin mentioned above, make sure the power supply that came with your desktop meets the requirements. If it's still the original, it probably doesn't.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I'm currently running them in SLI. And it's awesome.

You can always buy one now and get another one in 2 years (= cheaper) for your new computer to run them in SLI. Then they will survive for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    The GTX560 Ti is one of the best price to performance video cards you can pick up. However it will require a suitable power supply to run it. Please make sure your power supply meets 80+ certification and the required wattage for the video card.

My Card:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...ts_240_us.html

New Card:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...-560ti-us.html

Looks about 50watt's in range of the two cards, I should be okay, and if 450watts is the minimum for my old card I'm sure Dell has put in like 500. I'll look into it however.

~~~~~~~~~

Also, what is the difference between

GTX 560 Superclocked

GTX 560 TI
    hey im gud

Save the money.

The difference between the GTX 560 and the GTX 560 Ti is ~14-17%.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Save the money.

The difference between the GTX 560 and the GTX 560 Ti is ~14-17%.

How about the

GTX 560 TI

&

GTX 560 FTW+

Version?
    hey im gud

I wouldn't just assume that your PSU is adequate, most 560s recommend at least a 550W PSU. I've made the mistake of assuming a PSU is enough and fried my motherboard and GPU when it wasn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Dravian View Post
    How about the

GTX 560 TI

&

GTX 560 FTW+

Version?
    Closer, but not better. The GTX 560 Ti can be overclocked as well.

I'd still say save your money. The new GPUs about to be released have a better chance of lasting you for two years.

---------- Post added 2011-12-29 at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I wouldn't just assume that your PSU is adequate, most 560s recommend at least a 550W PSU. I've made the mistake of assuming a PSU is enough and fried my motherboard and GPU when it wasn't...
    The GTX 560 runs fine on a 400-450w PSU.

Keep in mind that ATI just released their HD 7970. When it hits mass availability on Jan 9th prices for the 570 and 580, and possibly the lower cards are going to drop substantially.

Also, the best bang for your buck card is actually the GTX 460, at around $100 it has around 80% the power of the 560 ti for half the price. Even a 460 will be able to do what you want and more. Just make sure you go for the 1GB version. It's a bit faster and 768MB is just too little for the card's power.

Also in regards to power supply, overall wattage rating is often just marketing garbage. What really matters is the current rating of the 12V rail(s). For a single 12V rail PSU, I'd go for at least 38A. If you have a dual rail PSU, you want at least 20A on the 2nd 12V rail. From my understanding PSUs with 3 12V rails tend to be garbage with too little power on each rail to run anything.
    Last edited by Khenglish; 2011-12-29 at 08:15 PM.

Everyone pretty much summed it up. It is the best bang for the buck if you are on a budget. I will be upgrading from a GTX460 Overclocked manually to the GTX 560 TI soon. Then i will SLI the GTX460 on my girlfriends computer since she has one already. I wonder if it should be the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The GTX 560 runs fine on a 400-450w PSU.
    As long as the 12V rail is adequate, I'm skeptical that a 450W PSU that came in a prebuilt would have enough power on a single 12V rail.

Quote Originally Posted by surfire117 View Post
    I wonder if it should be the other way around.
    According to http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=330, the 460 SLI (assuming they're 1GB cards) outperforms a single 560Ti.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-29 at 08:21 PM.

Sweet I will stick to my plan then noteworthynerd.

So, the TI card is better than the FTW+.

But, now the gtx 460 in SLI out runs a gtx 560?

And it's $100?

is it better I pick up 2 460's?

or is the power supply I need now like 800-1000 watts?
    hey im gud

But, now the gtx 460 in SLI out runs a gtx 560? And it's $100?
    I don't know where Khenglish is getting that price, but the cheapest 460 1GB on NewEgg is $150... And yes, if you SLI, you will absolutely need a better PSU than the one you've currently got installed.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-29 at 08:29 PM.

So, the TI card is better than the FTW+.

But, now the gtx 460 in SLI out runs a gtx 560?

And it's $100?

is it better I pick up 2 460's?

or is the power supply I need now like 800-1000 watts?
    You can run GTX 460 in SLI with a quality 550-650w PSU.
    Starting out with buying multi-cards is a bad idea though.

My Card:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...ts_240_us.html

New Card:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...-560ti-us.html

Looks about 50watt's in range of the two cards, I should be okay, and if 450watts is the minimum for my old card I'm sure Dell has put in like 500. I'll look into it however.

~~~~~~~~~

Also, what is the difference between

GTX 560 Superclocked

GTX 560 TI
    The bigger issue is the amperage on the rail, which in prebuilt systems is almost never above 18a. If you throw a 560 ti in there, you could end up taking down half of your components for good. That's not to mention that 99% of OEM PSUs aren't capable of matching a 560 ti's wattage requirements either.

If you want to be lazy and not take 2 minutes to check it, then so be it. Just be prepared to most likely lose some hardware along the way.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

So I called dell, and they told me I have 475 watts on my machine, he told me if I went over the card wouldn't work and everything would just not turn on.

He told me to upgrade my power supply it wouldn't work or happen because I'd also need a new motherboard, I'm not sure if he's trying to milk money out of me or he's serious.

Does anyone know if

a super clocked? ti? Or FTW+

cards have higher wattage requirements? or are they all the same and will fit in my 475 wattage range.

~~~

If not, I am willing to upgrade to a new motherboard aswell if anyone has any ideas on what would be a good fit for this. Thank you!
    Last edited by Dravian; 2011-12-29 at 11:29 PM.
    hey im gud