10+ Year Old Account

Question Advantages of Different Routers? Or if I even need a new one

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a BT home hub (v1 I think, it's the white one like this: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/wh...648341/gallery)

We have had it easily 4 maybe 5 years, for about 2/3 months now, I have repeatadly DC'd and had to restart the router to fix the connection (im connecting to it wirelessly using a belkin USB adapter btw)

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is likley to be the router that is casuing the problem or if its something else

Secondly, can someone please explain the advantages to other more expensive routers etc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Upgrading to a real router would give you Wireless N, provided your adapter supports it. The router could be dying, or a reset might fix it, or your adapter could be dying. If you do buy something, get a wireless N router that you can flash with DD-WRT.

The more expensive routers give you N speeds, 5ghz frequency (generally not as good as 2.4ghz in terms of speeds/range, but it doesn't interfere with most other electronics, like telephones/microwaves/baby monitors/etc. Speeds *might* be better due to no interference, but that depends on how your house is set up). The routers also generally give you more features, like hard drive sharing (to make streaming easier), printer sharing, QoS (to give certain computers more bandwidth/speed).

In terms of your current hardware, it could be that it one of them is dying. Try checking the logs and seeing how often you drop packets. I know my DGL-4500 started to die a few months ago (wired was fine, but the wireless went. I now use it as a hub, a pretty expensive hub to say the least). I now have a N900 and it's pretty nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats the N mean? and whats DD-WRT? :P Sorry, i have no idea baout routers
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    tbh, if you're not familiar with the features of different routers I would advise against flashing to DD-WRT.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Wireless N is just a network standard. It provides better speeds (up to 600Mbit/s). In terms of what DD-WRT, that's basically allows you to load custom firmware onto the router to give it more functionality. If you know nothing about routers, I wouldn't worry about it (mostly because you can brick your router if you don't know what you are doing).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the only thing I have ever really done with mesing around with routers is opening a few ports xD So im not sure how that compares to "flashing to DD-WRT" :P

Just read adorada's post

So, in conclusion I should proabbly get a new router and USB adapter/wireless card (I have room antec 1200 FTW ^^) and make sure the router is "Wireless N" supported?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygersaf View Post
    Whats the N mean?
    Wireless is split into several different specifications:
    A, B, G, N.

A and B are rather old and basically obsolete today. G is a newer faster spec that is still in use today, particularly with Cellphones but also older Laptops, and offers reasonable wireless speeds. N is the newest, but a more demanding specification that however even faster than G.

The N specification was finalized just 2 years ago - though "Draft-N" (basically Beta) devices were available prior to that.

As the centerpiece of home networks - you should consider a router with support for N mandatory today. Routers are not tied down to any specific specification, and a N router can communicate with G or even B devices - at the same time. Even if you own no device that can use N - at least you will not prevent yourself from using the capability at a later date (Which I would deem to be extremely likely).
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-12-29 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay thanks for your help guys going to bed now so i wont be replying :P

Thanks alot, cya

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    The more expensive routers give you N speeds, 5ghz frequency (generally not as good as 2.4ghz in terms of speeds/range, but it doesn't interfere with most other electronics, like telephones/microwaves/baby monitors/etc. Speeds *might* be better due to no interference, but that depends on how your house is set up). The routers also generally give you more features, like hard drive sharing (to make streaming easier), printer sharing, QoS (to give certain computers more bandwidth/speed).
    This is not true. Range of your Wireless is determined by your radio's output + the antenna. So if you have a identical specs for output and antenna on both of the frequencies you will get exactly the same distance/range performance. In the US the FCC (and in other countries who regulate frequency usage) will actually legally limit your total output power. Different countries have different standards but many usually pretty close to the US's FCC regulation.

Speeds on 5Ghz should almost always be better (interference aside, that will mess up any signal if its too much) because of the allocated frequency space. 2.4Ghz B/G is much more narrower. Its entire spectrum spans 2412 - 2462 for center channels. That's 50Mhz between both the higher and lower center channels. Each channel usage in 2.4 is 20-22Mhz so encountering interference much higher of a chance.

5Ghz channels on the other hand are 40Mhz in width and do not overlap like 2.4Ghz. Not only that, but it spans the Nearly the entire 5Ghz-6Ghz spectrum (depending on manufacturer)

The listed devices can actually cause interference, especially a Microwave. If you compare the power output between the two devices, a Microwave and kick out up towards 1200 watts of power, where as most consumer devices operate *under* 1 Watt combined.

From a purely spectrum to performance, 2.4 has better Non-Line of Site penetration than 5Ghz, and unfortunately the higher frequency you go the worse that gets. Jut a bit of useless information for you.

802.11n is a standard which utilizes multiple Antenna's to improve performance by offsetting the frequencies used during transmission and reception. In general is pretty cool, but if your internet is less than 50Mb to begin with, you won't see much performance gains for internet applications. DO not buy any hardware manufactured prior to 2009 as parts of the standard were still up in the air and not all devices play well or at all with each other.

DD-WRT is a third party router software for enthusiasts with a truck load of features. You router, however, needs to support the loading of the firmware. If you are already not as experienced or knowledgeable with these sorts of things, I probably would recommend against it as not being able to understand what you are doing could lead to bricking your router.

Note: my explanations above are terse and simplified to avoid getting into useless semantics about protocols which would hardly benefit the OP.

Thank you all for your kindness to me, I wish you good health and good luck!