Deleted

Question Building computer need advice

Hi all

I've been wanting to build my own computer for some time now and since my old pc can't run BF3 on medium graphic's over more than 15 fps. So I was just wanting some advice on whether this build would actually work and how it will preform on BF3. I plan to give over-clocking the CPU a try as well so I've went for the unlocked i7 but my main concern is whether the PSU is up to the task. Below is a list of the proposed build (I took most of it off the Unicorn build on the front page).

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF 932
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX Professional Series 850W
    CPU: Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14 - Processor cooler
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    RAM: GSkill 16GB (4 x 4GB)1600Mhz DDR3 Ripjaw X Series Memory with Intel XMP
    HDD: Western Digital Caviar 2TB (7200 RPM) SATA 6GB/s 64MB
    Graphics Card: GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC NVIDIA Graphics Card (This I am getting really cheap from friend)
    OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit OEM

thx in advance for any help

First, to address your PSU concern, 850W is plenty, but what really matters is the how many amps it has on the 12V rail... That PSU moves 70A over the 12V rail, which is more than enough.

Now, some points:
    1) There's really no reason that you need a i7 2600k instead of an i5 2500k if you're only using the PC for gaming... By switching, you'd save some money and will not see any performance difference (in fact, the 2500k outperforms the 2600k in a number of gaming benchmarks).

2) I don't know a lot about aftermarket CPU coolers because I don't overclock, but $80 seems awfully expensive for one... Especially if you've never overclocked before.

3) I cannot recommend getting an SSD enough, the difference (especially in your proposed system) over a traditional HDD would be astonishing. The 128GB Crucial M4 is generally considered to be the best "bang for your buck" SSD.

4) Unless you plan on storing copious amounts of stuff on this PC (i.e. hundreds of movies or thousands of songs) you do not need a 2TB HDD. HDD prices are through the roof right now (due to the floods in Thailand), by downgrading to a 1TB (or even a 500GB) HDD, you save around $100 (assuming you mean "Caviar Black").

5) 16GB of memory is complete overkill for gaming, there's really no reason to go over 8GB.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-12-30 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply mate I've taken up your suggestions about the i5 2500k , the RAM, dropped the aftermarket cooler and got the SDD instead. thanks again for your help

Deleted
    Aftermarket coolers can make a huge difference. Around 60-70 euros/dollars is a normal price for a cooler like the Noctua Nh-d14.
    To be fair, I would always get an aftermarket cooler, even if I decide not to overclock. It differs a lot when it comes to sound production.

I definitely think you should buy an aftermarket cooler if you plan on overclocking, $80 just seemed expensive to me, especially if you've never overclocked before and therefore should not push things too high.

I would suggest something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181011 instead.

Deleted
    hmm yes well I think ill will wait a bit before attempting to overclock anything and when or if I decide to I will look into buying a aftermarket cooler, though that one you linked does look much better so ill probably get that one.

I don't overclock and I still have yet to find a game that gives me trouble on max settings... Generally, overclocking a system like the one you're building is unnecessary for gaming.

Now, you said "dropped the aftermarket cooler and got the SDD instead. thanks again for your help", I just want to clarify what you mean, you are not dropping your HDD for the SSD, right? You meant you're dropping the cooler and getting the SSD? Because a 128GB SSD is not enough by itself, you still need a HDD to put "non-critical" files on.

Anyway, if you go ahead with the revised build below I think you'll be extremely happy with the results:
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    GPU: GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    SSD:Crucial M4 128GB
    HDD: Western Digital Cavier Black 2TB
    RAM: GSkill 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 Ripjaw X Series
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX Professional Series 850W
    Case: COOLER MASTER RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF 932

15+ Year Old Account
    Overclocking the 2500k is the best thing you can do with it. It's fast, easy, and provides massive gains. I have mine OCd to 4.3 turbo with auto voltage. 20% gain out of the box, with no temp issues.

@OP - the NH D14 is an extreme cooling solution for extreme overclocking. Grab yourself an A70 (as seen in my sig) and enjoy the amazing cooling performance you get from it.

Overclocking can still decrease the life of the chip, even if you don't have temperature problems, by pushing it past its intended limits can it not? Like I said, if the OP is not comfortable overclocking (even if it is as simple as pressing a button to get started) I don't recommend doing it, especially if it is not necessary (20% gain on a game that doesn't stress your CPU in the first place is the same as no gain at all)...

Also, that's the cooler I suggested in an earlier post. =P

Deleted
    That's great ill be getting that build thanks for all your help mate. and ye I think ill go for that cooler A70 then will eventually try overclocking even if its just to experiment. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Overclocking can still decrease the life of the chip, even if you don't have temperature problems, by pushing it past its intended limits can it not? Like I said, if the OP is not comfortable overclocking (even if it is as simple as pressing a button to get started) I don't recommend doing it, especially if it is not necessary (20% gain on a game that doesn't stress your CPU in the first place is the same as no gain at all)...

Also, that's the cooler I suggested in an earlier post. =P
    If you go with a moderate, controlled overclock, then it WILL degrade the life of the chip. However, it won't kill it in 12-24 months just by a 20% OC on these chips. Sandybridge chips are very strong.

If you kill it in 3 years, the chip has already outlived it's true length of life expectancy and you should be upgrading anyhow.