Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow didn't launch with 10 million users......It built over time...So your post is irrelevant...

Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    Who cares? The game is fun and I'm sure plenty of people will agree and continue to play.
    It seems disgruntled people are so intent to change the minds of satisfied customers that they'll write articles to try to convince us.

Also, wikipedia is always the best source. Anything that can be changed by anyone is always credible. I'm not trying to be purposefully difficult, but you're still not providing backing to your claims.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2011-12-31 at 05:28 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    Yeah, because MMO's totally don't require people to pay monthly to keep playing......OH WAIT!

And video games never sell more copies after their first week on the market.....OH WAIT!

Go fail at logic and trolling elsewhere.
    /facepalm.... did you even read the entire post? or do u just fail at understanding the concept of snapshot analysis?

LOLOLOL,
    The history for that Wikipedia page showed that you added that paragraph to the article via edit 5 minutes ago....
    Fail.

Uh oh, someone is insulting the sacred cow.

QUICK, ATTACK WOW!

The entire OP is an egregious failure and misapplication of something approaching autistic logic. I don't even play SWTOR, I just saw this listed on MMO's frontpage and the title suggesting a downward trend with a 1 week sample size on a game's longevity and I figured it would be some ridiculously stupid shit. Which it was.

This is very interesting... I read through the information on the website that you posted. I did my own math on the subject and you seem about right give or take a few 0's here and there, and they don't change the relevance of it whatsoever.
    Still this will be like Rift, we will have to sit and watch and wait to see what happens. Overall the data supports a somewhat downward trend, but considering the fact the game has not been out for very long and many people will still most likely purchase a copy of the game in the near future will change the info in the long run. Looking at the numbers gives me the idea that the game will continue to exist and make some amount of profit for Bioware/EA but by the looks of it, the Starwars MMO is going the same way the Startrek MMO did... Great start-off numbers, much praise from the fans, and overall great intent - Yet sadly it will suffer. It does not have the large playerbase and alternative resources that Blizzard had when they started WoW and that is what will cause it to slowly wither away until it becomes free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    Wow didn't launch with 10 million users......It built over time...So your post is irrelevant...
    You're right, but neither did Rift, Aion, or Warhammer. Look where they are.

I wish an MMO company could actually develop something that could compete with WoW. I really wish Blizzard had someone to compete with so that they actually felt the need to work harder to satisfy their so-called "consumers."

This is the only mention of development costs I could find from a reliable source, and even then they don't cite their source either, but they say "a budget of 150 million." 300 million, that is not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...s7O_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Taco-Salad View Post
    htt[SPACE]p[SPACE]:/[SPACE]/en.[SPACE]wikipedia.[SPACE]org/w[SPACE]iki/Star_Wars:[SPACE]_The_Old_Republic#Development

Remove "[SPACE]."

Look under the third heading under "Development." The number is contained within the second paragraph. Sure, my claim was off slightly, but my argument is still unscathed.
    i find it interesting that passage was the last thing edited on the page and it has no source

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=468672114

the Schwartz is strong indeed

edit - look at the edit time stamp...
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-12-31 at 05:32 AM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    i find it interesting that passage was the last thing edited on the page and it has no source

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=468672114

the Schwartz is strong indeed
    Ouch. That stings.

http:[REMOVE]//massively[REMOVE].joyst[REMOVE]iq.[REMOVE]c[REMOVE]om/2011/12/01/little[REMOVE]-risk-of-failure-a[REMOVE]nalysts-predict-swtor-will-turn-a-hea/

Ok, here's your other source since you guys can't click the citation in the wikipedia article.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Uh oh, someone is insulting the sacred cow.

QUICK, ATTACK WOW!
    Not one post in this thread is attacking WoW. Please leave that out of here.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

While I enjoy watching the Star Wars fans go crazy, the fact that the wikipedia post was edited like 7 minutes ago with a paragraph, with no source, arguing what the OP is, I have a feeling this is just a well-thought out troll post, although if it is, kudos to you. Because it's already been 100% effective.

Carry on, SWTOR fans, everything else now is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post

Top of page 2, actually. Apparently we can't have a mature discussion about SW:TOR without bringing in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    http:[REMOVE]//massively[REMOVE].joyst[REMOVE]iq.[REMOVE]c[REMOVE]om/2011/12/01/little[REMOVE]-risk-of-failure-a[REMOVE]nalysts-predict-swtor-will-turn-a-hea/

Ok, here's your other source since you guys can't click the citation in the wikipedia article.
    Did you even read that? It says 270 million a year in revenue, not costs. You cut out the pure profit, and you're looking at 190 million. FAR from 300. And that 190 million? Goes to operating costs and LucasArts, not game development.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    While I enjoy watching the Star Wars fans go crazy, the fact that the wikipedia post was edited like 7 minutes ago with a paragraph, with no source, arguing what the OP is, I have a feeling this is just a well-thought out troll post, although if it is, kudos to you. Because it's already been 100% effective.

Carry on, SWTOR fans, everything else now is just icing on the cake.

It was edited by me, but it has a citation:

OP, that link doesn't back up what you say. Did you not even read it? Haha, this is funny.

Pachter's predictions for the title are sizable yet reasonable; he thinks that SWTOR will get 1.5 million subscribers. This translates to $270 million per year in revenue, $80 million of which will be pure profit for EA after LucasArts and operating costs take their share. Even if SWTOR only draws in -- or sustains -- merely 500,000 subscribers, Pachter says the game will be sitting pretty.
    Yeah, the number 270 million is there, but not in the same way you used it.

---------- Post added 2011-12-31 at 01:32 PM ----------

It was edited by me, but it has a citation:

Wow, you're incredible. You didn't even read that article. That article does not mean what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    First post of this page, brosephiroth.

By the way, OP, the article you link only has the number 270 million in it, the context to which it's used is completely different from what your edited Wikipedia article claims.

Oh, woops. Meant to quote EALouse, wrong article url. /facepalm

htt[REMOVE]p://ww[REMOVE]w[REMOVE].1[REMOVE]up.[REMOVE]c[REMOVE]om/n[REMOVE]ews/ea-louse[REMOVE]-blows-lid-old-re[REMOVE]public-budget-warhammer-failure [REMOVE]