Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for background info (considering buying)

So, I currently play WoW, but have heard mixed messages about SW:TOR. Some people say it rocks, some say it sucks, and some say it is just a KOTOR3 to them.
    All of my brothers play, and are wondering if I will. What I want to know, from a hopefully helpful community, is a few things.
    I have heard there is no competitive PvP (Arena/RBG/etc) and level 50's are in the same bracket as every other level. Is this true?
    I have heard that the different raid difficulties just increase health and damage, no new mechanics. True/false?
    To me, the game is seeming like it would just be like a KOTOR 3 for me... (pick up, play for a month or 2 and quit after I get the story and fun out of it like I would with a single-player RPG.)
    IDK, guess I need basic info before I buy it. (None of my brothers are 50 yet and it's hard to tell what is true and false when half of forum posts about the game are just flame wars.)
    Which, brings me to my next point. I really enjoy WoW atm, and really like the people I play with. But I know a lot of people raving about how good it is but it seems unappealing to me. (WTB trial D
    Inb4 huge flame war. Please don't start that here, I'm trying to get a serious idea of how the game works because there is no trial. I don't mean to flame, but it seems very similar to WoW in playstyle (hardly surprising) with little to gain switching games. =/
    Help? haha
    TL;DR:...

"I have heard there is no competitive PvP (Arena/RBG/etc) and level 50's are in the same bracket as every other level for other organized PvP. Is this true?
    I have heard that the different raid difficulties just increase health and damage, no new mechanics. True/false?"

""I have heard there is no competitive PvP (Arena/RBG/etc) and level 50's are in the same bracket as every other level for other organized PvP. Is this true?"

Tournaments and rated PvP are scheduled for post launch. We will get competitive PvP soon.

"I have heard that the different raid difficulties just increase health and damage, no new mechanics. True/false?""

Pretty sure this is false, there are other mechanics on Normal/hard/Nightmare mode.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    ""I have heard there is no competitive PvP (Arena/RBG/etc) and level 50's are in the same bracket as every other level for other organized PvP. Is this true?"

Tournaments and rated PvP are scheduled for post launch. We will get competitive PvP soon.

"I have heard that the different raid difficulties just increase health and damage, no new mechanics. True/false?""

Pretty sure this is false, there are other mechanics on Normal/hard/Nightmare mode.
    I was hoping the PvE thing was false, because that'd just be bad design (boring) if all it did was increase hp and damage. ATM, I feel like I'm just going to wait and see how the game does, because I'm skeptical. But hey, my whole family seems to like it. I hope all goes well

10+ Year Old Account
    If your family is playing, why not make a toon on their account and try it. Save money and your time. Zing!

I'll be honest with you, WoW is a hard game to come from, at least for me. I currently play both WoW and ToR and enjoy both, but my initial reaction to ToR was disappointment. After sticking with it I'm finally growing to like it.

Having played one MMO for six years and being spoiled by all of the content and polish of said MMO, transferring to a new one is a difficult change.

Here are a few problems you will likely have with the game:
    1. The UI is basically the WoW UI flipped upside-down, and this is not changeable to my knowledge.
    2. You can't breeze through quest dialogue, you have to actually participate. This should be a good thing right? lol
    3. The graphics require a lot more out of your PC to look as pretty, but this may not be an issue for you.

Don't make the mistake I did and go in comparing it to WoW, or you will likely be disappointed. As of right now it feels like just another KotOR game without pausing that has IRC chat integrated.

Hope this helps.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiyu View Post
    If your family is playing, why not make a toon on their account and try it. Save money and your time. Zing!
    Yeah, time to ask one of them if I can ninja some time. thanks for the responses guys. =)

Edit: Don't want to double post, so in response to above -
    Yeah, I feel pretty much 100% like you said right now. Blizzard has experience, etc, etc same old story. I feel like I'd just go in playing it like a multiplayer Kotor 3... but IDK if that is worth $15 a month, you know?
    Last edited by Valedus; 2011-12-31 at 10:04 AM.