Deleted

Mind Spike on Ultraxion

I was doing some research for my SP alt and I came across a guild on my servers logs, and the shadow priest in this guild uses Mind Spike on Ultraxion while still pulling very respectable numbers
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=17021&e=17354
    I have never read anything about using Mind Spike on a single target encounter before, is anyone else familiar with this kind of rotation?

Looks like they are using mind spike+blast while shadowfiend is up.
    34k isn't really very impressive given their gear and having legendary.
    They have epic gems in every slot even!
    Last edited by UunaPriest; 2011-12-31 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qei View Post
    I was doing some research for my SP alt and I came across a guild on my servers logs, and the shadow priest in this guild uses Mind Spike on Ultraxion while still pulling very respectable numbers
    I have never read anything about using Mind Spike on a single target encounter before, is anyone else familiar with this kind of rotation?
    Looks like he is popping Synapse Springs+Archangel then spamming Mind Spike for as long as Archangel is active, he does have a Staff so that probably would make a difference over your average rotation. I wouldn't look too much into that, the gear/legendary makes that viable but I haven't seen any info any where about using it.

Quote Originally Posted by qei View Post
    He should be doing ~3 k more dps with his gear/gems. Which he is probably losing from using mind spike. It's never worth using over regular rotation unless something is gonna die fast. I pull 35k~ (no dark intent in both these cases) on heroic ultra with similar gear but no legendary or epic gems.

Best way to know if something is viable or not is goto WoL and look at the top rankings.
    It seems that Spamming MS/MB during AA/Sfiend(4pc) is a viable DPS option, but if you dont want to complicate yourself it seems that keeping your dots rolling is still just as viable.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=12617&e=12982

That's our log from this week. Our SPriest is pulling 39.6k with legendary + 4pc, reforging to full mastery and using Mind Spike during SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tihr View Post

That's our log from this week. Our SPriest is pulling 39.6k with legendary + 4pc, reforging to full mastery and using Mind Spike during SF.
    Well thats not very impressive, my priest pulled 35k on ultraxion10 with Kings drum. (had FM tho)
    My gear is pretty damn average compared to your spriest and Hardmode doesnt introduce any mechanic that reduces DPS.
    Last edited by Strykie; 2011-12-31 at 07:50 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykie View Post
    Well thats not very impressive, my priest pulled 35k on ultraxion10 with Kings drum. (had FM tho)
    My gear is pretty damn average compared to your spriest and Hardmode doesnt introduce any mechanic that reduces DPS.
    Much more common to get Fading Light on heroic. You also have to Disperse every third Hour of Twilight. So yeah, there is. Top SPriest in the world on that fight is 42k.

Honestly, I feel like he could probably pull bigger numbers with 2p+2p. The DPS spikes he gets aren't THAT much higher than with the usual rotation. I don't know, I'm not convinced yet.
    Last edited by FieryBull; 2011-12-31 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorend View Post
    Honestly, I feel like he could probably pull bigger numbers with 2p+2p. The DPS spikes he gets aren't THAT much higher than with the usual rotation. I don't know, I'm not convinced yet.
    They are both not far from apart, however while doing a dps race like Ultrax herioc if you can't spare the dps it would be better off avoiding mind spike spam. However both (with legendary and gems) are pretty close in terms of dps.

For things like herioc spine, mind spike spam might be the way to go.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Much more common to get Fading Light on heroic. You also have to Disperse every third Hour of Twilight. So yeah, there is. Top SPriest in the world on that fight is 42k.
    Disperse is no more or less dps than Heroic will as u can cancelaura disp or heroic will at the last second.
    Wasnt aware of more frequent Fading light though.

Looking more closely at that log, the dps gain from MS spam is almost N/A.
    Not sure if its player error or he was trying to line up AA and Sfiend but really dropped the ball with his only 2 AA being 3:30 between....

If its the later AA+MS spam is a dps loss.
    Last edited by Strykie; 2011-12-31 at 11:23 PM.

Deleted
    Disperse is no more or less dps than Heroic will as u can cancelaura disp or heroic will at the last second.
    Wasnt aware of more frequent Fading light though.

Looking more closely at that log, the dps gain from MS spam is almost N/A.
    Not sure if its player error or he was trying to line up AA and Sfiend but really dropped the ball with his only 2 AA being 3:30 between....

If its the later AA+MS spam is a dps loss.
    Don't forget on normal you can kill it in 3 mins and thus your uptime on heroism will be much greater, thus resulting in much higher damage per second.

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember talking on Shadowpriest.com about how we expected that with the constant triple orbs from fiend - a mind spike rotation would be much more dps than it was in the past due to the 4p bonus - I also remember a lot of priests being confused about this meaning that they should wipe their dots during fiend to spam mind spike and reapply - that was not generally correct. While ideally your fiend would line up with a new target to attack that you could then do an MSx3/MB rotation on - thats pretty unrealistic, and you should probably not ever wipe your dots to mind spike during fiend because the gain is lost in reapplying dots afterward.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Except for the fight being longer. Heroism is only up for 30 seconds in any fight under 10 minutes, so if the fight goes on longer, there is less heroism uptime in relation to the total fight, therefore the numbers can actually be lower in heroic fights assuming equal gear.

Deleted
    Your SP should be doing more than that in 25 man with legendary. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary effort for negligible dps gain, you'd probably pull more doing standard rotation and focusing playing like a boss 100% than trying to time your shit perfectly with fiend, seems like while yes you will do a lot more dps during the MS+MB burn you lose most of that reapplying dots. So no, maybe later in the tier when SPs will switch to crit when they're at/close to bis gear levels this will be a more viable option, but i don't see it becoming standard practice any time soon.

The CD on shadow fiend is too unpredictable too IMO. The 4p is great on Spine for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorend View Post
    The CD on shadow fiend is too unpredictable too IMO. The 4p is great on Spine for sure.
    This. I see many Shadows in LFR with a Legendary barely outdamaging me (without a legendary) on Ultraxion because they're trying to line up AA + Shadowfiend twice during the encounter. MS/MB spam when Shadowfiend is up works really well on things like Hagara's stun (perfect duration for Shadowfiend), Spine (AA + Shadowfiend line up every tendon), Warlord Zon'ozz (when Shadowfiend is available + black phase)