Deleted

Few questions about affliction

Hi all

Can you "clip" Bane of Doom's final tick like you can with other dots(As in, if i use it again if there is 14 sec left will i loose a tick)? If so, should i do this?

Is it always worth it to use Shadowflame on CD, even if i have to move to the boss?

What DOTtimer addons do you use/find best?

Are there any other good addons for locks?

And a final one which hasn't really got to do with affliction but anyway : Is Demo always better than affliction? I just find Demo so stupidly complicated i haven't really bothered with it + i am NOT doing firelands dailies again just to get that stupid trinket.

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazrs View Post
    Can you "clip" Bane of Doom's final tick like you can with other dots(As in, if i use it again if there is 14 sec left will i loose a tick)? If so, should i do this?
    Yes you can and you should do it, if you have procs/cd's up.

Is it always worth it to use Shadowflame on CD, even if i have to move to the boss?
    Yes it's worth it, but don't move closer to the boss to do it.

And a final one which hasn't really got to do with affliction but anyway : Is Demo always better than affliction? I just find Demo so stupidly complicated i haven't really bothered with it + i am NOT doing firelands dailies again just to get that stupid trinket.
    It depends on the fight, but in general Demo is better single target dps than Affliction.

I cant say if you lose the final tick or not but it is a dps loss to let doom fall off then recast it.

dont move to cast shadowflame, only use it if you are already in range.

I use forteXorcist but there might be better ones out there.

I also use powerauras to help with cd's and some other random stuff

with the last patch demo has become a bit better but i like the affli play better.

Deleted
    Thx, have 1 more

Does Bane of Doom benefit from Demon Soul : Felhunter?

Thx, have 1 more

Does Bane of Doom benefit from Demon Soul : Felhunter?
    Yes it does

Yes it does, and I personally like Tellmewhen, though there are a ton of different addons for that kind of thing.

Yes Demon Soul should work with BoD although it was bugged before and I haven't checks lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a big advocate of dotimer for a while, but I only really like it for Demo and not so much for the other 2 specs. These days Power Auras comprise pretty much my entire UI--dot timer, procs, everything.

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________

Deleted
    Few more :P

Does Drain Soul's damage update when Haunt falls off? As in, if i start channeling Drain Soul when haunt is applied, will the damage be the same throughout the entire channel even if Haunt isn't refreshed?

Hypothetical situation : I use Bane of Doom, and i then notice i forgot to use Demon Soul : Felhunter(is it worth it to macro this into all of your spells btw?). Do i let BoD run is course or do i use DS and refresh it immediately?

Thx for all of your answers!

The best thing for your dps would to not make either of those mistakes. I know that doesn't exactly answer your question, but pretty much 99/100 times it's better to learn to avoid those kind of situations than learn how to deal with them with the assumption that you'll make them.

To be totally honest with you; I couldn't tell you if drain soul updates after haunt fades off the top of my head, because I've never had that happen. As for DS and BoD? They line up really nicely, and barring fight mechanics you should use DS on cooldown, which should be shortly followed up by a refresh of BoD.

Yes drain soul does update if haunt falls off. The general rule of thumb is dots check your buffs/procs when applied and check target debuffs on each tick. Drain soul is considered a dot even though it is channeled.

Deleted
    Aaaaaand 1 more(lol)

I just got Foul Gift of the Demon Lord : Do i need to refresh DoTs when this procs or will the damage of them update automatically?

TBH about the BoD refreshing i always keep the following rule

always refresh between 0 & 15 seconds EXCEPT when you're demonology and the BoD was cast under the effect of metamorphosis. then i always wait till it JUST had ticked and then apply a new one max. 1 sec after the last tick (since it tends to tick like for 10k more or )

Deleted
    not sure but i think you dont have to reapply dots once it procs, it is a mastery proc, not a great int proc..

10+ Year Old Account
    For BoD refreshing, concerning DS:
    You should NOT clip the BoD you put up while you had the DS buff. Meaning, lets say you pop DS in the beginning, then put up your dots. When this BoD is about to fall off, don't clip it. Then when it falls off, put up a new one. When DS is off CD, refresh your dots and clip BoD near the end of it. Repeat. Basically clip every other one. And just a further DS/DoT mechanic, your dots don't get the DS buff until they are refreshed. I'm assuming it would be beneficial, but don't quote me on this, to also make sure your dots get refreshed before DS falls off. As for BoD, it all depends on what procs were up with DS when you put it up vs what procs are up as DS falls off. We really do need an addon that tells us how strong our current BoD is.... :x My rule of thumb, unless I'm 99% sure I have more procs than when I put it up, I don't clip.

Do not reapply BoD with FGDL trinket. In fact you should replace that rather quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if DMC:V is better for you, and while RoZ is blah, it can also be better based on your gear, the proc for those two alone are better than FGDL. The thing I like about RoZ (since I can't manage to get anything else) is that it lines up nicely with BoD if you pop it with DS and on CD.

As for your Haunt/Drain Soul question, Haunt should never fall off since you should be casting it on CD, so technically you shouldn't have to worry about that. And if you do, it's because you just switched targets and everything has fallen off, which in that case you put up just like your initial rotation of SB > CoE > Haunt > dots, but then SB once more for 3 stacks of shadow's embrace then Drain Soul. (If you took forever dotting up and Haunt is off CD before you do that second SB, just rehaunt and then Drain Soul)
    Last edited by gracfuldeath; 2012-01-02 at 07:30 PM.

Few more :P

Does Drain Soul's damage update when Haunt falls off? As in, if i start channeling Drain Soul when haunt is applied, will the damage be the same throughout the entire channel even if Haunt isn't refreshed?

Hypothetical situation : I use Bane of Doom, and i then notice i forgot to use Demon Soul : Felhunter(is it worth it to macro this into all of your spells btw?). Do i let BoD run is course or do i use DS and refresh it immediately?

Thx for all of your answers!
    Yes, during execute phase you should refresh Haunt so it doesn't fall off the target or the next tic of DS won't have the 20% buff. Get an addon that shows ticks so you can refresh Haunt right after a tick. That and keeping a full stack of shadow embrace on your target are the only things you have to worry about during execute phase, well that and DS and on use trinkets.

Demon Soul is one of the highest priority spells as Aff. I have it macro'd to my on use trinket but I have them both on separate timers so I can monitor them individually. Although it's generally good to use it on cd, there are certain exceptions, like you don't want to pop it right before Morchok picks you up or you want to wait a few seconds so you can use its full duration during bloodlust. For those reasons I wouldn't macro it to any spells, other than my on use trinket, as Affliction.

I will clip the last tic of BoD if I currently have better buffs up than what was up when I previously cast it. As a general rule, you don't want to clip the first one as that will have DS plus usually PT and other procs. But you have to monitor your buffs to make sure. DS should always be used with BoD and the Rune of Zeth trinket gives a nice Int boost to it as well. Being on 2m and 1m timers makes all three easy to manage together.

---------- Post added 2012-01-02 at 02:36 PM ----------

Aaaaaand 1 more(lol)

I just got Foul Gift of the Demon Lord : Do i need to refresh DoTs when this procs or will the damage of them update automatically?
    No, its a buff to you rather than a debuff on the boss so your dots don't refresh themselves but it's mastery and not worth recasting your dots for. That trinket is really kind of crappy for Aff, to be honest. I will recast UA with an eradication proc if it has more than a 50% duration otherwise there's enough time to wait and cast it before the last tick and still have it haste buffed.

Deleted
    Would you say Soul Casket(321 hit/1900 spellpower for 20 sec on use) is better than Foul Gift?

They're both crappy but I'd use FG over SC.