Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Got the Souldrinker (LFR) so I use it?

This is me: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...torum/advanced (a work in progress)

Just got the Souldrinker earlier today, and I've read on Wowhead it *could* be the only 4.3 tanking weapon, but frankly they keep talking about block cap and everything and... I'm not sure if I should be using it or not!

Halp please.

102.4 (parry% + dodge% + block% + 5% (boss miss chance) = 102.4%) and you can safely use Souldrinker without worrying about any ill effects (and it will give you a significant damage/threat bonus, plus a minor heal.)

Edit: 102.4 with full raid buffs.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

10+ Year Old Account
    Use it. Make up for the avoidance loss through gems and enchants. Just use it seriously. It's awesome. The heal and damage increase is worth the loss of health from using more +40mastery gems.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Well you should aim to be CTC capped, which is 102,4% dodge+parry+block+ a base of 5% so you're about 6% off with your current gear.
    Get a tanking helmet, put dodge enchant on bracers, mastery on gloves and boots, on your chest change the +40 dodge gem to +40 mastery and the dodge/stam to mastery/stam and you should be a fair bit on the way to replace the sword with Souldrinker.

10+ Year Old Account
    if your ctc caped id use it if not no.

p.s. i tanked with another shotty paladin on Ultra and he did cast WOG one time the whole time we tanked the fight and i used my off cd every chance i got and he still healed for half the amount i did with the sword. im also glyphed and spec into WOG.

Ok, I'll wait 'till I'm CTC capped. That being said, Mr.Robot (just saying) is now telling me to regem STAM oriented, half'ing every colors with stamina, and blues with full stam. If I was to do that, I'd be farther from CTC cap hehe.

hey... so real quick... is CTC 102? or 97 because of the boss miss chance?

15+ Year Old Account
    Souldrinker is BIS for tanks even before you're capped especially for you going from a 365 ilvl weapon to that. The heal it does will put you above shadow priests by double in effective healing and tbh heals for A LOT. If you proc a dmg/heal off 1 mob on an AOE group and you hit all of them ALL of them will proc the heal to you. Other piece of advice I can give you is enchant your boots because those are the best you're going to get before you buy valor boots.

you can easily obtain CTC with LFR gear and still use Souldrinker, but do yourself a favor and please fill those empty glyph slots. Not trying to troll but you should do some research and correct your gems, you would assuredly get more avoidance/block correcting your gems.

Quote Originally Posted by shineey View Post
    you can easily obtain CTC with LFR gear and still use Souldrinker, but do yourself a favor and please fill those empty glyph slots. Not trying to troll but you should do some research and correct your gems, you would assuredly get more avoidance/block correcting your gems.
    I gemmed that way because of... mr.robot. I understand I should use that site with moderation. I will admit I didn't read much about protadin, only because it's an alt and got few of them, but I absolutely love to tank as a paladin, so I want to get better ofc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    Ok, I'll wait 'till I'm CTC capped. That being said, Mr.Robot (just saying) is now telling me to regem STAM oriented, half'ing every colors with stamina, and blues with full stam. If I was to do that, I'd be farther from CTC cap hehe.
    Go into Mr. Robot's Stat Weights and Check the box for "Prioritize CTC". Then, go into its Options and check "Always use guild feast/cauldron".

Mr. Robot makes some assumptions regarding your character - mainly that if you are below CTC cap, you'll always use Mastery food and Elixirs of Mastery, which is not common outside of high end raiding guilds.

After those settings are set though, AskMrRobot is definitely the superior way to gem for tanking. I'll admit though I haven't used it for Prot since they launched the new site (which I love in general - saving profiles with custom weights is nice).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I don't see "Prioritize CTC" anywhere... in fact I don't see the stat weights since the change. Ouch?
    Last edited by DiGG; 2012-01-01 at 02:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    I don't see "Prioritize CTC" anywhere... in fact I don't see the stat weights since the change. Ouch?
    Oh, it's called "Choose a Gearing Strategy" now.

I couldn't get it to Prioritize CTC for you though even with that checkbox checked until I changed the Gearing Strategy to "PvE: Minimize Total Damage. Mastery > Parry=Dodge to 102.4%, then more Parry/Dodge" instead of the Default "Mastery > Parry=Dodge to 102.4%, then Stamina".

Switching to Minimize Total Damage is fine for now until you hit that 102.4%. Once you hit 102.4% though, I'd switch AskMrRobot back to the Default Build because I think that Stamina is probably better after 102.4% (but not before).
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-01-01 at 03:03 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if I'm understanding the blue post from the other day regarding Gurth (and consequently Souldrinker), is LFR Souldrinker still better than Normal Mandible of Beth? I'm CTC capped now with Souldrinker, but I wasn't sure if the nerf to the proc rate would mean I should go back to the Mandible.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't change Souldrinker? Only Gurthalak?

But yeah Souldrinker LFR beats Beth's mandible. Just get CTC from other gear.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post

Souldrinker and Gurthalak were both hit simultaneously for Paladin only to not proc off of seals when running Seal of Truth. The proc rate should be lower than previously seen.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post

Thanks for the advice.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The specific bug was that paladins running Seal of Truth had two chances with every swing to trigger the proc with Gurthalak or Souldrinker. They now have one chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieknight View Post
    Souldrinker and Gurthalak were both hit simultaneously for Paladin only to not proc off of seals when running Seal of Truth. The proc rate should be lower than previously seen.
    Really? Can I have the source for the bit on Souldrinker because I read the blue on the frontpage and checked logs and nothing outside the range of RNG was occuring - I got my normal version of Souldrinker on 2nd week of DS, on the wednesday.

EDIT: Doh yeah I see it. ah well, the proc is still great so still use it.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2012-01-08 at 12:24 PM.

Its roght there, on the post above you.. They where both proccing on seals, and now they none of them does.. Havent checked any numbers Online since im at work, but i had about 4 PPM with the souldrinker i think prior to t he nerf, so i think there are some kind of Internal CD of 15 sec. cant confirm though since i havent done any extencive testing. if so is the case, then i guess the "nerf" to paladin + souldrinker are very very small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't you use it? It's still good, even with the proc rate nerf.