GTX 580 Dual Monitors

So i have an EVGA GTX 580 3gig and I have been contemplating buying a second monitor for my setup. I currently have a 22" 1680 x 1050 resolution LG monitor. The monitor i currently have would not be for displaying games, and would only be displaying programs such as chrome and ventrillo. The new monitor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001482) which I am looking to purchase would serve as my primary display monitor for games and such, or browsing the internet when not gaming.

So here are the actual questions.

1. If I do decide to buy a larger resolution monitor, will that have a larger impact on performance of the video card other than just running at a larger resolution?

2. The card itself has 2 DVI inputs, so would I need a separate device to make this work, or could I just grab another DVI cable and plug it into the second DVI port on the card?

3. How big of an overall performance deficit am I going to be facing when playing a game like the Witcher 2 on max settings with ubersampling enabled?

I apologize for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlink View Post
    1. If I do decide to buy a larger resolution monitor, will that have a larger impact on performance of the video card other than just running at a larger resolution?
    No. And running web browser on the old small monitor will have exactly zero effect on any game running on new bigger monitor. Windows desktop uses less than 1% of the computing power of modern graphics card such as yours.

2. The card itself has 2 DVI inputs, so would I need a separate device to make this work, or could I just grab another DVI cable and plug it into the second DVI port on the card?
    Yep, two DVI cables for two monitors. As simple as that.

3. How big of an overall performance deficit am I going to be facing when playing a game like the Witcher 2 on max settings with ubersampling enabled?
    Difference in number of pixels between 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 resolutions is about 17%, so the fps loss will be about 17%. Not totally accurate, but gives you the ballpark figure.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Cool, thank you : )

I'm running the setup you're describing. Some details:

* Just get a second DVI cable (comes with most monitors anyway) and plug it in the second DVI connector on the GPU. It will come on automagically unless you're running some really old OS.

* Running a web browser, watching YouTube, using MPC to watch videos on the second monitor, none of that gives me any problem with WoW framerates. I'm above 60fps regardless. Hell, sometimes I have a WoW client running on both screens, and it barely impacts the performance, since the GTX 580 is far beyond anything WoW needs. On the other hand, your mileage will vary depending on the multi-tasking capabilities of your processor and OS, as well as your total amount of RAM. I'm currently on 6 cores AMD OC'd to 4Ghz per core, with 16G DDR3 1600, so I have about zero problems running _anything_ alongside WoW. A decent dual-core with at least 2G ram should enable you to use web browsers on the second monitor easily. An excellent 2core or a decent 4core or above should cause you to have almost no problem running anything else in the second window unless it's very hardware intense, like a game with a more modern engine than WoW or maybe if you're doing an intense virus scan or de/encryption or de/encoding of video. 4G of RAM or more will facilitate this. With a rig like mine, you can basically do whatever you want. So, again, your mileage may vary.

If the rest of your hardware is comparable to your GPU, you should have next to zero issues. I was doing what you're describing on my old 4core 2.4Ghz and geForce 8800 and 4G of DDR 800 with very little problems. 2 WoW's would sometimes get a little laggy. I'd expect you to have few problems with your plan.

Everything else in my computer is up to par with the 580. My i5 2500K is OC'd to 4.5Ghz and i've got 8 gig of RAM. So everything should be good.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Xlink you're going to enjoy this setup. I have a 560 Ti, 2500K@4.0GHz, and a 1920x1080 monitor for games and a 1680x150 monitor for Chrome and all that jazz. I have noticed little to no difference, if anything, you'll just use slightly more VRAM, but if the 1GB on my 560 Ti is enough, your 3GB will be PLENTYYY.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Gtx 580

I run two monitors, a samsung 27" and an asus 23" both at 1920x1080. In WoW, i run 150+ frames questing and in SWTOR, around 60. However, i do have 16 gigs of ram, but its a bit overkill. I run WoW on one monitor and SWTOR on the other and have no issue... Go for it!